There are 190 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Honestly, I think people don't like him because he's Indian (IIRC). People just don't think that an Indian should be running an American sports team, for whatever reason.

I must admit, this is a bit surprising coming from you. Race has nothing to do with it, at least from all the posts I've seen in the past regarding Marathe.

He doesn't have any football ties. He has no business weighing in on personnel decisions. However, he has done a very good job with his part in fixing the cap problems, negotiating contracts. Bestowing this "Football Operations" as part of his "title" seems a bit grandios. He seems to have a mind for finances, but the team management seem intent on getting him more involved with the football side. Nobody seems to know why.

I just call it like I see it. I've heard/read plenty of opinions that suggest this to be true. You should hear what some people come up with when they call KNBR and talk about him.

Do you feel that you get a good local prospective from OKC?

Ha! I'm afraid not. I was thinking more within the scope of the Zone.

In my experience, most people who call in to the sports talk shows seem to have a pre-disposition to small-mindedness. I'm referring to the "Sports Animal" around here. Those rabid OU fans can be quite vicious.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by nflguy49:
"He only deals with the business side"

"Only racists dislike him"

LOL

Im a racist I hate Indians they smell like curry.
Originally posted by FL9er:
I rarely post here because I think NT is full of idiots who complain too much, but if you take a look at a lot of front offices in the NFL they are full of business types with a lack of background in football. That's the way the league is going nowadays.

Sure there are franchises that are family-owned ran (the Rooneys, the Krafts, the Bensons, Bidwells, etc.) but it's not like their next of kin started off in football.

The big difference is that Parcells doesn't need a guy like Paraathe sitting with him when Parcells is conducting interviews.
If you are upset with his utterfail when it comes to personnel decisions, then I would look to the Yorks for giving him the power. Paraage only does what he's allowed to do.
Originally posted by Joecool:
If you are upset with his utterfail when it comes to personnel decisions, then I would look to the Yorks for giving him the power. Paraage only does what he's allowed to do.

Since when does Paraag make personnel decisions? He has only been a numbers guy, and since he took over we have had a great cap position.
Does overruling Walsh on draft day trades qualify as a personnel decisions?
I agree that Paraag is a numbers guy.

His numbers overruled trades that Walsh wanted to make.

His numbers led to mediocre drafts

His numbers led to the hiring of Mike Nolan.

Yup. Just a numbers guy.

Btw: Promoting Paraag saved the Yorks $$$. Obviously a more experienced and qualified candidate for the position would have demanded more from the Yorks. Don't think for one second that the Yorks saving a buck or two didn't play a role in this promotion.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Feb 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

Since when does Paraag make personnel decisions? He has only been a numbers guy, and since he took over we have had a great cap position.

He held a role in hiring Nolan. He's a part of just about every interveiw and in the past, it seemed as though he gave his input in terms of numbers but lately it seems as though he's there only to give an unofficial offer.
There is so much misplaced animosity towards Paraag that it's laughable. I swear some people think that this guy is the root cause of our woes and can't realize that we have bigger issues.

To all those who don't know anything, there are teams out there who employ people with business and statistics backgrounds to help in determining player and coach value. One example is Daryl Morey. Morey won the 2008-2009 Executive of the Year as the GM of the Houston Rockets. He has an MBA from Sloan School of Business.

Several sports teams have hired executives with non-traditional backgrounds.

This is nothing new. Please, lets move on.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Feb 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM ]
Why should we assume that Eddie holds greater influence on Jed then his own Father (John York)?

he has the same name as my uncle so i like him
does this mean that someone else will be in charge of watching replays and deciding whether to throw the red flag or not? If so, I like the promotion.
I find it laughable that some people are saying we don't like him because he's Indian. What f*cking difference does it make where he's from? As long as we see results on the field, he could be a member of Taliban for all I care. The animosity towards him and the organization is he fits the "over his head" bill of pretty much everyone in the 49ers front office. The 49ers sorely lack an experienced football executive in the front office. Unfortunately the Yorks still haven't figured that out in 11 years. They rather hire and promote business guys rather than guys who can make this franchise a contender. I guess making money matters more than winning.

I also find it funny how some people say he's an expert on the salary cap. The NFL cap has gone up so high that a 4 year old could manage it. Pretty much everyone in the league is under the cap.
  • Veteran

LOL

What do you smell like?
Originally posted by 190836:

LOL

What do you smell like?

like slurpees
Share 49ersWebzone