There are 383 users in the forums

How to Stop the Deadly Screen Pass

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frankie:
This could possibly take out our best d player for a play! But how bout a cover 3 with the coverage rolling out to the stacked side! With willis doing the qb spy? That would possibly leave a wr in single coverage, unless ya double cover the wr? I dunno? What formation are ya talking bout that they would be running?

I think it has to do with the aggressive behavior and the pressure we bring. nothing works against us but the screen and i think it's the Dline and linebackers realizing to late what the offense is doing to them and by then justin franklin lawson and everyone else has just be washed from the play. The screen pass basically is the oline selling the play blocking long enough and letting go and running up field and just making it look like they just messed up and in reality there setting us up.

I think if you go to a cover 3 and taking willis off the field is not a idea im a fan of. then your miss matched because now your fastest and best tackling player is watching and you mostly put another cb on the field and he's going to have a hard time getting off a block by a guy 300 pounds. The best way is to know that the screen is coming and don't send the house.

Aww the little games coachs play against each other!!!
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by frankie:
This could possibly take out our best d player for a play! But how bout a cover 3 with the coverage rolling out to the stacked side! With willis doing the qb spy? That would possibly leave a wr in single coverage, unless ya double cover the wr? I dunno? What formation are ya talking bout that they would be running?

I think it has to do with the aggressive behavior and the pressure we bring. nothing works against us but the screen and i think it's the Dline and linebackers realizing to late what the offense is doing to them and by then justin franklin lawson and everyone else has just be washed from the play. The screen pass basically is the oline selling the play blocking long enough and letting go and running up field and just making it look like they just messed up and in reality there setting us up.

I think if you go to a cover 3 and taking willis off the field is not a idea im a fan of. then your miss matched because now your fastest and best tackling player is watching and you mostly put another cb on the field and he's going to have a hard time getting off a block by a guy 300 pounds. The best way is to know that the screen is coming and don't send the house.

Aww the little games coachs play against each other!!!

I didn't mean that willis would come off the field for another cb? I meant he would spy, but even then that's actually a bad idea cause the ya get a 300 lbs lineman running straight at willis full force at a just gettin a going willis once the play starts to develope!

I actually love the aggressiveness of our d but I agree 100% them damn screens get us! Last season, tim hightower in the first az niner battle wasn't he their leading reciever on screen pass's and dump offs, and yet bolden breaston and mr badass himself larry fitz was held in check! We still won, so all was good that day! Lol

[ Edited by frankie on Apr 2, 2010 at 23:50:51 ]
Originally posted by 49ersOnMINE:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!

i hope sooo...im hopin we do get spiller

why is everyone so gung ho about taking CJ Spiller. its like its just a big bandwagon thats snowballed based on hype. how many people here actually watched this guy in college on an every game basis? youre just falling in love with the hype.

our number 1 priority is OL. period. Spiller is a luxury we cant afford right now.

wed have to take Spiller at 13, if hes even still there. its just not worth bypassing need. without an OL, we go nowhere, even with spiller.
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!

Smith won't even get the pass off if we draft Spiller instead of an O-lineman
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

Last time I saw an O-lineman catch a screen pass, the zebras made yellow canaries rain.

50+ touchdowns >>>>>>>>> road grader.

Just sayin'.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Yeah, always pissed me off. Other teams screen passes killed us and none of ours ever worked

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AC49er:

That was Reggie's welcome to the NFL

This just in. We have two first round draft choices. Sorry if this is news to you.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

This just in. We have two first round draft choices. Sorry if this is news to you.

haha Williams and Spiller would be nice.

Only a few people w/ the skills of Spiller (yes I watched almost all of Clemsons games and I hate Clemson, but Spiller is not just hype) and more than one good offensive tackle/G (which IMO none of the top 4 are in the league of Joe Thomas or Jake Long from a few years ago) We should grab Spiller if available with 13 and then address the line with pick 17 and 49. Just my opinion.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

Just wondering if those who are NOT in favor of Spiller, what would you want us to do at 13 IF all 4 of the elite tackels are already gone, (Okung,Baluga,Davis and Williams) as some mock drafts would suggest?

Originally posted by tmpluff:

Only a few people w/ the skills of Spiller (yes I watched almost all of Clemsons games and I hate Clemson, but Spiller is not just hype) and more than one good offensive tackle/G (which IMO none of the top 4 are in the league of Joe Thomas or Jake Long from a few years ago) We should grab Spiller if available with 13 and then address the line with pick 17 and 49. Just my opinion.

this

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Goldtimer:

hahaha Sopoaga!!!
Share 49ersWebzone