LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 127 users in the forums

How to Stop the Deadly Screen Pass

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In theory, our defense should have the right players to stop the screen pass. Our linebackers are fast and excellent at pursuing the ball. Willis and Lawson...However, last season we got absolutely gashed for big yardage on screen plays.

Is it because we're playing a bad scheme? Choosing the wrong defense?

Is it because Clements was out? When on the field, he is one of our best secondary tacklers. Is it possible that Goldson was not taking the right angle to the receiver?

Anyone know what we were doing wrong?
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!
Well, I feel like it's the scheme. We are super-aggressive, playing downhill. We make a lot of big plays, but also are vulnerable to the screen.
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
A little sidenote, once we draft CJ Spiller teams will have to try to figure out how to stop our screen game!

i hope sooo...im hopin we do get spiller
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Well, I feel like it's the scheme. We are super-aggressive, playing downhill. We make a lot of big plays, but also are vulnerable to the screen.

Well said, we just gotta hope we recognize it quickly.

another sidenote if we dont fix our o line we will see alot more 3 and outs less time for qb and less yards for gore
  • benton45
  • Info N/A

This
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

another sidenote if we dont fix our o line we will see alot more 3 and outs less time for qb and less yards for gore

Don't have to hold their blocks very long on a screen pass.
oline needs to grab their cups as they go by....

I'd like to see them try some bubble screens with Crabs. He had some big plays at Texas Tech on that route.

Originally posted by GorefullBore:

I'd like to see them try some bubble screens with Crabs. He had some big plays at Texas Tech on that route.

They did. It didn't work so well with NFL quality defenses and players....

Agree. Sometimes we don't do a good job playing our position and like a bull when he sees red, he attacks and our Dline and OLB's see the QB and they attack.
Originally posted by endz0ne:

Ya, we tried almost once in every game. Every time we did, I went to face-palm because it was a waste of a down.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by endz0ne:

Ya, we tried almost once in every game. Every time we did, I went to face-palm because it was a waste of a down.

-9fA

Of the facepalm! Just wait this up and coming season opposing d's will be enjoying the legendary facepal experience themselves! Hell yeah bring on the draft! Let's get the season started!
Goniners
This could possibly take out our best d player for a play! But how bout a cover 3 with the coverage rolling out to the stacked side! With willis doing the qb spy? That would possibly leave a wr in single coverage, unless ya double cover the wr? I dunno? What formation are ya talking bout that they would be running?
Share 49ersWebzone