There are 325 users in the forums

Alex Smith article on Espn

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 602_JamestownAve:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Its never been his arm strength. His footwork sucks azz and his instincts for the position stink. Maybe after his 10th year he'll get that plant and throw thing together. Go get em Alex.

i assume u didnt watch alex play last year?

Watched every game and seen the same accuracy issues that are linked to bad footwork and bad plant and throw mechanics. Or was there more mistakes that I missed?

first of all he didnt do that bad and considering hes coming of a 2 year injury where he wasnt able to practice he did pretty good and his throwing and release is much better now his footwork has improved a lot and now its really good but considering our OLine its pretty hard to have good footwork when u have to run for ur life most of the time and his plant is fine

Ok. I respect your view. I dont agree but I respect it. I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting much improvement because mechanics aside, I still think his instincts and pocket presence even when given time to throw, are below average and all the practice in the world can't always fix that, but I hope I am wrong.

lol u obviosly dont kno s**t.... 18 td in 10 games
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
Its never been his arm strength. His footwork sucks azz and his instincts for the position stink. Maybe after his 10th year he'll get that plant and throw thing together. Go get em Alex.

Watched every game and seen the same accuracy issues that are linked to bad footwork and bad plant and throw mechanics. Or was there more mistakes that I missed?

first of all he didnt do that bad and considering hes coming of a 2 year injury where he wasnt able to practice he did pretty good and his throwing and release is much better now his footwork has improved a lot and now its really good but considering our OLine its pretty hard to have good footwork when u have to run for ur life most of the time and his plant is fine

Ok. I respect your view. I dont agree but I respect it. I hope I am wrong, but I am not expecting much improvement because mechanics aside, I still think his instincts and pocket presence even when given time to throw, are below average and all the practice in the world can't always fix that, but I hope I am wrong.

Please help learn me too ... I don't know s**t either.
Originally posted by 9eridiot:

Please help learn me too ... I don't know s**t either.

well if u expand that to 16 games that would be 28tds 5 less than manning not bad after not practicing or playiong in the nfl for 2 years after coming off a serious injury
he throws the ball with his eyes closed
The haters will ALWAYS hate on Smith.

If we go 9-7 or better they'll say the same stupid things about how he didn't do this and didn't do that and his footwork sucks(throw your F'n hat in the ring then) and he can't read defenses... ...and if he takes us to the playoff then it's all about he SHOULD be taking us there every year and... ...if he takes us to the Super Bowl then its the same... ...if he WON a Super Bowl they would STILL hate on him talkin all their

But I never ONCE hear about how our Line doesn't come through for him or any of our QBs'. I don't EVER hear about how our team never keeps continuity or how the Receivers drop the ball or

You Alex haters just STFU about the man. I swear if you an me were in the same room watching a game someone would be getting their ass kicked. Cause I truly cannot stand loud mouth jerks interrupting my games. And that is how you come across to me. You come off like you think your crap don't stink and you could do no wrong.

How bout we just agree to let it go one way or the other? Let's see what he has by the end of the season. If he fails we're DEFINITELY moving on. If he succeeds he'll be here for a few more years and you haters can reload and try again.

In any case this is the lamest 9er related argument given all the damn issues that this team has.

Sorry bout the rant guys, I'm just fed up with the infighting.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

If we go 9-7 or better they'll say the same stupid things about how he didn't do this and didn't do that and his footwork sucks(throw your F'n hat in the ring then) and he can't read defenses... ...and if he takes us to the playoff then it's all about he SHOULD be taking us there every year and... ...if he takes us to the Super Bowl then its the same... ...if he WON a Super Bowl they would STILL hate on him talkin all their

But I never ONCE hear about how our Line doesn't come through for him or any of our QBs'. I don't EVER hear about how our team never keeps continuity or how the Receivers drop the ball or

You Alex haters just STFU about the man. I swear if you an me were in the same room watching a game someone would be getting their ass kicked. Cause I truly cannot stand loud mouth jerks interrupting my games. And that is how you come across to me. You come off like you think your crap don't stink and you could do no wrong.

How bout we just agree to let it go one way or the other? Let's see what he has by the end of the season. If he fails we're DEFINITELY moving on. If he succeeds he'll be here for a few more years and you haters can reload and try again.

In any case this is the lamest 9er related argument given all the damn issues that this team has.

~Ceadder

You speak the truth, thankyou

~Ceadder

Here's what I think is the truth. Alex is not necessarily the problem, but is symptomatic of a disease within this organization.

Obviously, that disease starts with ownership - John York.

He has reduced this franchise to mediocrity and as long as you go along without questioning decisions that are being made, you are enabling him.

We had a once-mighty franchise that now is trying to convince its fanbase that it should settle for making the playoffs some day and be happy with that lofty goal.

Imagine Steeler fans or Cowboy fans accepting that.

[ Edited by 9eridiot on Apr 2, 2010 at 21:58:35 ]

~Ceadder

Here's what I think is the truth. Alex is not necessarily the problem, but is symptomatic of a disease within this organization.

He has reduced this franchise to mediocrity and as long as you go along without questioning decisions that are being made, you are enabling him.

We had a once-mighty franchise that now is trying to convince its fanbase that it should settle for making the playoffs some day and be happy with that lofty goal.

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Then take your anger out on York himself for not spending as much as those other teams rather than on our QB who isn't a world beater yet but is improving. It's not Smith's fault we didn't make a big splash this offseason. I mean you're saying you're pissed at our owner but all you do is rip the QB. But it's not like we're not getting better. We have 2 first round picks in a loaded draft, we've got guys like VD, Willis, Goldson extensions coming up. We're trying to build something that actually looks like it might be a promising group of players to build around, and we're not at a super bowl level yet so all you're doing is complaining about mediocrity. The year before the Steelers won the title they weren't that great, bounced in the first, and the year after(both of their last 2 titles btw) they got their ass kicked and didn't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying we have the group that they do, because we don't or atleast not yet. But there is something here, with an OC who might not be great but we can actually keep him around and he's better for the team than the last 2 assclowns we had. We have a really good Defensive Coordinator. We had like 4 or 5 pro bowlers, which is a lot. We have a QB who is getting better, even if you don't think he's the guy 18 TDs in 10 games is pretty good and threw 60.5% completions, that's better than a guy like McNabb(no I'm not saying Smith is a better player, but all people ever do is rip Smith on accuracy but then they want a guy who is less accurate last season and older than him?) but he gets no credit for that, and this is the first time he's really going to be sure about the offense and different stuff he can do in it in his career. Then you got guys like VD who are getting utilized better, and Crabtree getting better building a good rapport with his QB. Really offensively our main need is RT and LG, and at LG we may just improve because we improved our OLine coach.

When you're building something good than you got to give it some time, and this specific group has only had 1.5 years together. The smart thing to do is not blow anything up or make any dramatic changes until you know how far these guys can go with experience and chemistry under their belts, and then after that you make changes to see what you need to improve on unless it's a glaring weakness(like RT). I don't think the problem is we're settling for mediocrity, I think the problem is it takes time for guys to chemistry when you're changing everything every year and we just need to let this group get better.

~Ceadder

You tell em ceadder, alex will show em this year! With solari and big ray brown we will see an improvement with the oline! Now bring on the draft! Its kinda sad to see people lose their faith! But hey I suppose that's life! And life happens!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

~Ceadder

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Then take your anger out on York himself for not spending as much as those other teams rather than on our QB who isn't a world beater yet but is improving. It's not Smith's fault we didn't make a big splash this offseason. I mean you're saying you're pissed at our owner but all you do is rip the QB. But it's not like we're not getting better. We have 2 first round picks in a loaded draft, we've got guys like VD, Willis, Goldson extensions coming up. We're trying to build something that actually looks like it might be a promising group of players to build around, and we're not at a super bowl level yet so all you're doing is complaining about mediocrity. The year before the Steelers won the title they weren't that great, bounced in the first, and the year after(both of their last 2 titles btw) they got their ass kicked and didn't make the playoffs.

I'm not saying we have the group that they do, because we don't or atleast not yet. But there is something here, with an OC who might not be great but we can actually keep him around and he's better for the team than the last 2 assclowns we had. We have a really good Defensive Coordinator. We had like 4 or 5 pro bowlers, which is a lot. We have a QB who is getting better, even if you don't think he's the guy 18 TDs in 10 games is pretty good and threw 60.5% completions, that's better than a guy like McNabb(no I'm not saying Smith is a better player, but all people ever do is rip Smith on accuracy but then they want a guy who is less accurate last season and older than him?) but he gets no credit for that, and this is the first time he's really going to be sure about the offense and different stuff he can do in it in his career. Then you got guys like VD who are getting utilized better, and Crabtree getting better building a good rapport with his QB. Really offensively our main need is RT and LG, and at LG we may just improve because we improved our OLine coach.

When you're building something good than you got to give it some time, and this specific group has only had 1.5 years together. The smart thing to do is not blow anything up or make any dramatic changes until you know how far these guys can go with experience and chemistry under their belts, and then after that you make changes to see what you need to improve on unless it's a glaring weakness(like RT). I don't think the problem is we're settling for mediocrity, I think the problem is it takes time for guys to chemistry when you're changing everything every year and we just need to let this group get better.

You're right! My issue is with York, not Alex.

Here's the example. When the Niners were world class and our #1 QB started to get some injuries, what did we do? Did we bring somebody like JT O'Sullivan or Dorsey or Hill? No, we brought in Steve Young.

When Alex got injured, we should have brought in equal or greater talent, not a stopgap measure.

The problem we have is that studs like Willis and VD and Justin and Goldson who are ready to win now, but they have to wait and hope for a QB to develop.

That's not the way winning franchises operate.

Smith will make the pro bowl

~Ceadder

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Here's the example. When the Niners were world class and our #1 QB started to get some injuries, what did we do? Did we bring somebody like JT O'Sullivan or Dorsey or Hill? No, we brought in Steve Young.

When Alex got injured, we should have brought in equal or greater talent, not a stopgap measure.

The problem we have is that studs like Willis and VD and Justin and Goldson who are ready to win now, but they have to wait and hope for a QB to develop.

I see what ya mean! But ya gotta look at the facts here! How many teams have ever have had 2 back to back qb of the hall of fame caliber? Then ya gotta look at the facts it was pure luck the tampa bay bucs and 49ers even had the pleasure to be in the pressence of steve young! Steve young once the 9th string qb at byu! Not favored due to the relation of the founder of the college he attended! Worked his way up to #1 qb, then to push his way to top flight qb in college ball! Then to get signed in a prominently new football league! The league flopped! Big time! To the extent I'm almost positive young is still gettin a mil a year from that scrapped teams owner? Some one please correct me if I'm wrong!

Then to get picked up by the worst team in the league, now could be argued with the lions as worst team of all time! Young had no weapons and lasted 2 seasons! The legendary bill walsh saw mad potential in young so after the 2 yrs wit tampa he became a bench warmer on the niners behing the great joe montana! Imo it took some luck to get steve young people don't just let great #bs go! Tampa had absolutely no one to help young! Ring a bell same as when alex came to the niners. Now I'm not saying alex is the greatest qb ever! But he will turn some heads this year! And can anyone name 1 team with a better #2 qb on their roster then their number 1? Last I seen that was the giants with warner warming the bench! And for a minute with the cards with warner! That great number 2 qb is very rare! So rare free agency was put in place to keep such occurances from happening!

Didn't ya see we have david carr now?

2 great qbs are a rarity! On 1 team in the nfl these days, hell it was a rarity before free agency. The packers planned way ahead before favre started on with his drama train! Rodgers is good, hall of fame I dunno yet. it is too early to be seen! Who took over for marino? Who took over for elway? How bout phill sims?
Joe and steve, bledsoe and tom brady are a very very rare exception! I don't know take it for what its worth!

~Ceadder

This post pumps me up.
Originally posted by frankie:

~Ceadder

That's why I'm pissed!!!

I see what ya mean! But ya gotta look at the facts here! How many teams have ever have had 2 back to back qb of the hall of fame caliber? Then ya gotta look at the facts it was pure luck the tampa bay bucs and 49ers even had the pleasure to be in the pressence of steve young! Steve young once the 9th string qb at byu! Not favored due to the relation of the founder of the college he attended! Worked his way up to #1 qb, then to push his way to top flight qb in college ball! Then to get signed in a prominently new football league! The league flopped! Big time! To the extent I'm almost positive young is still gettin a mil a year from that scrapped teams owner? Some one please correct me if I'm wrong!

Then to get picked up by the worst team in the league, now could be argued with the lions as worst team of all time! Young had no weapons and lasted 2 seasons! The legendary bill walsh saw mad potential in young so after the 2 yrs wit tampa he became a bench warmer on the niners behing the great joe montana! Imo it took some luck to get steve young people don't just let great #bs go! Tampa had absolutely no one to help young! Ring a bell same as when alex came to the niners. Now I'm not saying alex is the greatest qb ever! But he will turn some heads this year! And can anyone name 1 team with a better #2 qb on their roster then their number 1? Last I seen that was the giants with warner warming the bench! And for a minute with the cards with warner! That great number 2 qb is very rare! So rare free agency was put in place to keep such occurances from happening!

Didn't ya see we have david carr now?

2 great qbs are a rarity! On 1 team in the nfl these days, hell it was a rarity before free agency. The packers planned way ahead before favre started on with his drama train! Rodgers is good, hall of fame I dunno yet. it is too early to be seen! Who took over for marino? Who took over for elway? How bout phill sims?
Joe and steve, bledsoe and tom brady are a very very rare exception! I don't know take it for what its worth!

great post

~Ceadder

That's why I'm pissed!!!

Salary cap. Plus, when Steve Young was brought in, he was a huge gamble. One that many 49er fans thought was a failure till he finally won a Superbowl. "Deer caught in the headlights" was a frequent description.

But we could not do it again, now. We couldn't pick up an expensive player and have him bench warm for years. Don't blame the team or the Yorks. Put the blame where it belongs. The NFL makes the rules.
Share 49ersWebzone