LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Matt Maiocco on KNBR (3/31/10)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I heard he spent the whole interview complimenting Alex Smith's dreamy blue eyes.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by ghostrider:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Anyone listen to the whole thing?

I'm glad I don't listen to Bay Area radio. Friggin' fuel to the fire. Lots of whining.

OMG. Bruce whining about the "Alex Smith Experiment." Pathetic.

I listened to it, and I like Alex Smith, but he does make a lot of good points about McNabb/Smith with the Niners.

It really hit home when he said, "When did this team fall from greatness? You're not supposed to have 10 win seasons for 20 years, but this team did. You're not supposed to have back-to-back Hall of Fame QBs, but this team did. You're not supposed to win 5 Super Bowls, but this team did. This is one of the NFL's crown jewels, etc, etc, etc."

He brings up a point that the jury is out in Alex Smith, and he could be good, but bringing McNabb here would be like the Cardinals bringing Warner, or the Vikings bringing Favre. McNabb has played in one of the toughest divisions in football and put up numbers and wins. Alex Smith gets to play the Rams, Seahawks, and Cardinals defenses, but still has not proven himself. McNabb would feast on the division.

That was basically his point, and as an Alex Smith supporter, I gotta say I agree with Damon Bruce. At this point, I would take McNabb over Smith. I'm sick of the baby steps. I would like to see a breakdown of McNabb's stats against the NFC West in the last 5 years.

People forget that Warner didn't come to Arizona and start lighting it up immediately. There's going to be a system change and a drop in play. Look at how Favre faired in NY, for example.

If I'm the Niners, I'm placing my bet on Alex Smith and the Eagles retaining McNabb. If Alex Smith fails, then I go after McNabb as a free agent. Yeah, there's a chance that McNabb doesn't make it to free agency but, to me, that seems like the safest bet.

Farve got the Jets a winning season and his shoulder was screwed the last 6 weeks of the season. 1st half of the season he was on fire. Folks act like it was a failure. Niners haven't had a winning record in 7/8 years. hing about Mcnabb is once he's a free agent it turns into a bidding war driving up the price.

Shaun Hill beat Favre and the Jets at the Stick that year.

[ Edited by dr8van on Apr 1, 2010 at 10:47:18 ]

I'm glad I don't listen to Bay Area radio. Friggin' fuel to the fire. Lots of whining.

I listened to it, and I like Alex Smith, but he does make a lot of good points about McNabb/Smith with the Niners.

It really hit home when he said, "When did this team fall from greatness? You're not supposed to have 10 win seasons for 20 years, but this team did. You're not supposed to have back-to-back Hall of Fame QBs, but this team did. You're not supposed to win 5 Super Bowls, but this team did. This is one of the NFL's crown jewels, etc, etc, etc."

He brings up a point that the jury is out in Alex Smith, and he could be good, but bringing McNabb here would be like the Cardinals bringing Warner, or the Vikings bringing Favre. McNabb has played in one of the toughest divisions in football and put up numbers and wins. Alex Smith gets to play the Rams, Seahawks, and Cardinals defenses, but still has not proven himself. McNabb would feast on the division.

That was basically his point, and as an Alex Smith supporter, I gotta say I agree with Damon Bruce. At this point, I would take McNabb over Smith. I'm sick of the baby steps. I would like to see a breakdown of McNabb's stats against the NFC West in the last 5 years.

People forget that Warner didn't come to Arizona and start lighting it up immediately. There's going to be a system change and a drop in play. Look at how Favre faired in NY, for example.

If I'm the Niners, I'm placing my bet on Alex Smith and the Eagles retaining McNabb. If Alex Smith fails, then I go after McNabb as a free agent. Yeah, there's a chance that McNabb doesn't make it to free agency but, to me, that seems like the safest bet.

Farve got the Jets a winning season and his shoulder was screwed the last 6 weeks of the season. 1st half of the season he was on fire. Folks act like it was a failure. Niners haven't had a winning record in 7/8 years. hing about Mcnabb is once he's a free agent it turns into a bidding war driving up the price.

First of all, It wasn't a failure but it was a huge decline. Look at his last season with the Packers and look at last season with the Vikings. Then look at the season in between with the Jets. You can't tell me that those three are equal.

Second of all, if a winning season is your measure, the reason we didn't have a winning season last year had nothing to do with Alex Smith. It had everything to do with a miracle pass from Favre, a lucky HB-pass from Addai, and really poor PR/KR.

Thirdly, the price in dollar amounts may go up but keep in mind that if you trade for him, you have to give up a 1st/2nd round pick + a large contract extension. So the difference in price is less IMO. And I'd say that the league opinion is pretty much the same as mine. How many RFA's have been signed? Not many.

Yeah, I would worry about McNabb being successful here too. He has only played in one system his entire pro career. The Andy Reid west coast offense. As Farve showed by comparing his play in NY versus in Minn, knowing the scheme makes a huge difference. Another good example would be Kurt Warner's time with the Giants.

The fact that the likes of AJ Feely, a 39 year old Jeff Garcia, and others have had similar success as Mcnabb in that system makes we wonder if it is truly McNabb that is so awesome. For the price it would take to get McNabb, with these questions around him (not to mention that he hasn't been the healthiest QB over the last few years), to me it's just not worth it.
I don't like the idea of McNabb in SF! He's one of the most over-rated QB's in the NFL. You want to pay almost $12 M for a QB who chokes in big games? He's very inconsistant.

Why can't we just let Alex play? He's improved every year he's been the starter. You guys know our history, I don't need to repeat it. Give the guy one more shot! I expect us to be pleasantly suprised.

Yeah, Mark Sanchez and his 60 QB rating also got the Jets a winning season. Something tells me it was due to something other than the QB play...
Originally posted by jb49ers80:

Yeah, Mark Sanchez and his 60 QB rating also got the Jets a winning season. Something tells me it was due to something other than the QB play...

lol
Originally posted by elguapo:
McNabb is a better qb BUT Smith is a better QB on the niners. Makes sense. NcNabb would struggle as he has when he gets sacked a few times or pressured. With the niners OL he would have more int's than td's i believe and certainly do worse than Smith.

And if Smith was on the eagles with their great offense, his numbers would of certainly been better than McNabb's behind that OL throwing to Jackson and co.

That is reality...people can't use logic nowadays. McNabb may be a better qb, but would do worse on the niners. Look at Warner....he did horrible on the NYG and great on the Cards throwing to 2 pro bowl HOF possible wr's. Warner is a better qb than Smith as well BUT if he came to the niners last year, behind our OL he would of done ALOT worse and been injured most likely.

I agree that he would struggle when getting hit. That is the case with any QB. You have to remember he is in a division with the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins. All of those teams have a really good front 7. As it stands, the only teams in the west with that kind of defensive front are the Niners and Cardinals (who are going to be worse after losing Dansby).

As far as logic and facts, you cannot state that Smith would be better or worse in that Philly offense and call it fact, just like you cant say McNabb would necessarily be better in this offense. The offenses are completely different. I could just as easily say that Smith would be worse in the Philly offense because it is based off very precise timing routes (WCO). Accuracy, and getting the ball out quick is what Smith has had a problem with since day one. Philly's offensive line is better, but at the same time, how much of that is due to the QB being able to move in the pocket. McNabb beat the Niners last year by avoiding the rush the whole game. Fact is, at this stage in their careers, McNabb much better in the pocket than Smith.

Fact is, McNabb has proven himself in the NFL. Smith has not. Like I said before, I am a big time Smith supporter, and until I really started thinking about this McNabb deal, I wasnt really big on trading for him. I have started to go the other way with it now, and think that if the Niners have the opportunity to get him to SF, it would at least show the fanbase that they are dedicated to winning by bringing in a proven QB finally. Would it work out? Not necessarily, but it could pay huge dividends too.

As for Warner, he had a lot more questions about him when the Cardinals took a chance, and look how that paid off. I think the move is worth the risk. If it doesnt work, you can say at least they tried. If the Smith deal doesnt work, everyone will complain that the Niners didnt take the chance on McNabb when he is on another team helping them win games.

[ Edited by TheRatMan13 on Apr 1, 2010 at 11:08:05 ]
Damon Bruce is the best voice on KNBR. Sucks he's on 1050 now.

good point. Farve or McNabb on our team last season and we win the division.
McNabb is a better qb BUT Smith is a better QB on the niners. Makes sense. NcNabb would struggle as he has when he gets sacked a few times or pressured. With the niners OL he would have more int's than td's i believe and certainly do worse than Smith.

And if Smith was on the eagles with their great offense, his numbers would of certainly been better than McNabb's behind that OL throwing to Jackson and co.

That is reality...people can't use logic nowadays. McNabb may be a better qb, but would do worse on the niners. Look at Warner....he did horrible on the NYG and great on the Cards throwing to 2 pro bowl HOF possible wr's. Warner is a better qb than Smith as well BUT if he came to the niners last year, behind our OL he would of done ALOT worse and been injured most likely.

Yes!!! I totally agree..... McNabb's best bet is to go to a team that run's the WCO and has a decent O-line. If the Niner's sign him, it won't be instant success...... It will take time to develop.

Originally posted by kemp_j:

Yes!!! I totally agree..... McNabb's best bet is to go to a team that run's the WCO and has a decent O-line. If the Niner's sign him, it won't be instant success...... It will take time to develop.

If there was one thing Raye showed last year is that he can adjust his offense around his QB. I dont think that is as big a deal as people are making it to be. Especially since he would be coming from a more complex system, and our system would theoretically be a lot simpler to operate.

I would love the signing and think he would make the Niners more of a threat, but I would be ok with giving Smith that one last shot too.

First of all, It wasn't a failure but it was a huge decline. Look at his last season with the Packers and look at last season with the Vikings. Then look at the season in between with the Jets. You can't tell me that those three are equal.

Second of all, if a winning season is your measure, the reason we didn't have a winning season last year had nothing to do with Alex Smith. It had everything to do with a miracle pass from Favre, a lucky HB-pass from Addai, and really poor PR/KR.

Thirdly, the price in dollar amounts may go up but keep in mind that if you trade for him, you have to give up a 1st/2nd round pick + a large contract extension. So the difference in price is less IMO. And I'd say that the league opinion is pretty much the same as mine. How many RFA's have been signed? Not many.

Yea it wasn't as productive but he was injured. You just can't leave that part out of the story. I'm not debating was he on top of his game and had a great system but he was far from bad and far from not being effective. and when great qb's slip a little bit they still have winning records. that's why I brought up that point I wasn't trying to place blame on Smith for last season. Farve took a 5-11 team and made them 9-7 and on the brink of the playoffs. And I really don't think they have to give up 1st for McNabb. If so then it's out of the question. But the 49th pick? I wouldn't have that much of a problem with that. And McNabb isn't a RFA so I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I agree that he would struggle when getting hit. That is the case with any QB. You have to remember he is in a division with the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins. All of those teams have a really good front 7. As it stands, the only teams in the west with that kind of defensive front are the Niners and Cardinals (who are going to be worse after losing Dansby).

As far as logic and facts, you cannot state that Smith would be better or worse in that Philly offense and call it fact, just like you cant say McNabb would necessarily be better in this offense. The offenses are completely different. I could just as easily say that Smith would be worse in the Philly offense because it is based off very precise timing routes (WCO). Accuracy, and getting the ball out quick is what Smith has had a problem with since day one. Philly's offensive line is better, but at the same time, how much of that is due to the QB being able to move in the pocket. McNabb beat the Niners last year by avoiding the rush the whole game. Fact is, at this stage in their careers, McNabb much better in the pocket than Smith.

Fact is, McNabb has proven himself in the NFL. Smith has not. Like I said before, I am a big time Smith supporter, and until I really started thinking about this McNabb deal, I wasnt really big on trading for him. I have started to go the other way with it now, and think that if the Niners have the opportunity to get him to SF, it would at least show the fanbase that they are dedicated to winning by bringing in a proven QB finally. Would it work out? Not necessarily, but it could pay huge dividends too.

As for Warner, he had a lot more questions about him when the Cardinals took a chance, and look how that paid off. I think the move is worth the risk. If it doesnt work, you can say at least they tried. If the Smith deal doesnt work, everyone will complain that the Niners didnt take the chance on McNabb when he is on another team helping them win games.

I think one of the main differences between the situations of Warner and McNabb is that Warner was a free agent and was brought in to be a backup in Arizona. We would have to give up probably a first round pick and a ton of cash to get McNabb. That's why Warner was worth the risk and McNabb isn't.

Look at how AJ Feely looked in that Philly offense. Perhaps if he had been the starter there his whole career, he'd be a pro bowler several times over. That Philly offense makes guys that can play in the system look very good.

I'm not saying McNabb stinks...far from it, and I think Philly is dumb for trying to trade him away. But I think the risks of bringing him hear coupled with the price we'd have to pay makes it not worth it.

Yea it wasn't as productive but he was injured. You just can't leave that part out of the story. I'm not debating was he on top of his game and had a great system but he was far from bad and far from not being effective. and when great qb's slip a little bit they still have winning records. that's why I brought up that point I wasn't trying to place blame on Smith for last season. Farve took a 5-11 team and made them 9-7 and on the brink of the playoffs. And I really don't think they have to give up 1st for McNabb. If so then it's out of the question. But the 49th pick? I wouldn't have that much of a problem with that. And McNabb isn't a RFA so I don't see what that has to do with anything.

An RFA has the same problems in terms of cost. A team has to give up a pick AND a big contract.

we didn't have a winning season last year had nothing to do with Alex Smith

how you know you can stop listening to somebody.
Share 49ersWebzone