LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

1983 NFC Championship vs WASH on NOW!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
This game made me sick to my stomach.. We come back from down 21-0 only to have the refs take the game away on a few horrendous calls.. PI calls on Eric Wright and Ronnie Lott, were a joke.

There should have been an investigation.

BTW..Pete Kugler destroyed Jeff Bostic all day.. The best game Pete ever played as a 49er.

Those two brutal 4th quarter interference calls is what I remember. Niners had all the momentum and the refs just gave the game away.
Originally posted by Chico:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I'm actually OK with losing this game.

The Niners struggled all year to get their act together and never really clicked at all until the second half of this game. They BARELY beat the Lions at home the week before to make it to D.C.

If we pulled out this game I'm sorry to say we'd likely be 5-1 in Superbowls with our only loss coming to the Raiders . . . I COULD NOT DEAL WITH THAT! The Raiders were rolling late in the year.

That's a good point! I do remember the game and it was BS but we probably would have lost to the Raiders in the SB and that would have been miserable! I think the only other year we would have/should have won the SB was in '87 when we lost to the Vikes in the first round of a strike shortened season. The threepeat was a toss up in the SB to me.

It's true, we would have been trampled by that Raiders roster, and as much as I hate this game (and still believe it was rigged in some way), there would be no grudge/locker-room focus with this team heading into the very next year (if it wasn't for this game).

-Because of the NFL f**king us over, their bitterness of Walsh's new offense/league transition, we went into 1984 looking like ruthless/cold robots looking to destroy the ENTIRE f**kING LEAGUE! And we pretty much did. -So every problem really does create a new opportunity.
Never talk about that game again! Also, how dare anyone say we would have lost to the Raiders? How do you know?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I cant stand watching games where we lose. Why would you people put yourselves through this
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Never talk about that game again! Also, how dare anyone say we would have lost to the Raiders? How do you know?

I watched what they did to the Skins. It was ugly.
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I was 4 at the time and have never seen this game before. Very interesting to see what could have been.

Didn't the Skins beat the Raiders in the Superbowl? That would ahve been fun to have the Niners there. Or was it the other way around?

I hate that game it was a ripoff by the refs
I was 32 at the time. I've been pissed off about this game for the past 26 years. I'm still pissed. I will not watch.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

I watched what they did to the Skins. It was ugly.
Black Sunday. I wasn't born then, but I've seen the documentary more than once. The raiders annihilated them.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
This game made me sick to my stomach.. We come back from down 21-0 only to have the refs take the game away on a few horrendous calls.. PI calls on Eric Wright and Ronnie Lott, were a joke.

There should have been an investigation.

BTW..Pete Kugler destroyed Jeff Bostic all day.. The best game Pete ever played as a 49er.

I was only 9 years old at the time. All I can remember was yelling at the TV about A crap PI call against us.
The '83 and '90 have two things in common.

1.) 49ers lost
2.) 49ers were robbed by the same head ref.

Actually if you check many of the losses the 49ers had in the 80's and early 90's the same head ref is officiating. Conspiracy? When the 49ers lose...fukk yeah!

Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
The '83 and '90 have two things in common.

1.) 49ers lost
2.) 49ers were robbed by the same head ref.

Actually if you check many of the losses the 49ers had in the 80's and early 90's the same head ref is officiating. Conspiracy? When the 49ers lose...fukk yeah!

Would have won eight Superbowls had it not been for the league conspiring. Free agency, and the cap where also introduced because of the 49ers. The NFL was afraid fans would lose interest if they didn't do something.
i can't believe that. I don't remember if the giants game was so bad.

I know we lost many championship games. 2 or 3 to GB, 5 to Dal, NYG, WASH......i think we

LOST 9 or 10
WON 5
Share 49ersWebzone