There are 174 users in the forums

Let us look back to TONY PARRISH

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Parrish the one ball wonder
Parrish was solid. Good Niner was he.
hes a one badddddd monster!
[ Edited by DaFaro49ers on Dec 11, 2014 at 6:03 AM ]
This was the first guy that I've ever seen use sparring and Karate to help with his defending of receivers.
Tony Parrish is set to visit Diego Garcia next week as part of Armed Forces Entertainment!

We had some Falcons OL come earlier this year to BS with us and help us run punt/pass/kick and NFL Combine competition, lots of fun.

Tony will be joined by Eddie Kennison, long time receiver of the Chiefs. There will also be some cheerleaders from the Ravens, Patriots, and Rams...

I look forward to talking to Tony and giving him props for being one of the few shining lights of the dark years.

If there's anything any of you want me to ask or tell him, let me know.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
i just remember him leading the league in INTs and not making the probowl.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I remember Parrish, when we lost Schulters to Miami, and he did nothing we got Parrish and he was a great player for us, too bad he lost a step, but still a good player, to you Tony.

We lost schulters to Tennessee I believe, good player for us during those dark ass years
Ok, so I met Parrish yesterday......and it was awesome!

We were supposed to have an NFL Combine challenge event for people here....but it got canceled because of potential rain and instead turned into a meet and greet with him, former Chiefs WR Eddie Kennison, and 6 NFL cheerleaders (2 from Rams, Patriots, Ravens).

Talked to Kennison first....very nice guy, smart......talked about his post NFL life a bit, the art of being a WR, and his ties to the Chiefs now and support for Alex -- he really likes AS.

As for Parrish, the dude is very well spoken and cool. Looks like he could still play in the league.

Here's a few tidbits from our convo as it applies to our 49ers:

• When I told him thanks for being one of the bright spots in the dark years, he immediately turned to the side and got a bit into it like it affected him.....and the one of the first things he said was "Man, Mike Nolan........the guy was just an insecure ego maniac.......very good defensive coordinator, don't get me wrong........but he didn't like being challenged." (interestingly nothing about Dennis Erickson)
  • I asked about the 2002 NFC Wildcard comeback against the Giants: "Man, that game was crazy......but I swear we never panicked. We were down by 24 points but never felt like we were out of it, and then our D tightened up and our offense started scoring points. Great game. Very chippy game, a lot of fighting."
  • A funny story branched off a side topic: "Man, I don't like looking at myself [magazines/internet/etc]. But compare that to TO.....man, the definition of a 'ME' guy. We went to TO's house one time, and I swear to god it was 10,000 square feet of HIM. Pictures of him every room it seemed. We always gave him s*** for that!"
  • I told him at some point "You know that jersey # is a big deal in San Francisco", and he said "Oh man, I know.......I played in that Legends of Candlestick game a few months back and it was SO MUCH FUN. I was so honored to play in that game, with guys like Dwight Hicks, Jesse Sapolu, Joe Montana....was a great time, felt great to be a Niner."
  • I didn't plan any of this conversation but I did have one question I had to ask him for all our sakes: "Tony, what's happening to OUR team?" -- "Man, it's just chemistry. It's not about personnel....when you see a team with this much success, it's all about the chemistry, especially on OFFENSE when timing and execution is so critical. I swear man, as a defender I've seen teams go through issues like this and I'm telling you, you can read what's going on so easily [he turns away from me towards my friend staring right at him to indicate that deer in the headlights look] ...it looks like every play is like this! like i'm going to throw the ball right at you [defender].....look, all teams have tendencies but when you cannot even do the few things you're good at right, something is up [laughs]."

That comment on tendencies was in response to me saying "I've been hearing teams have had the Niners' offensive tendencies down pact".......the whole Harbaugh/Roman thing he didn't even begin to touch. Only thing he would say was a bit of a 50/50 "I'm beginning to think that Harbaugh is probably part of the problem at this point.".

Very insightful convo....a good storyteller, nice guy. A wonderful Niner to meet....made my day.

ps - Hate the Ravens but loved their two cheerleaders the best:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/photos/photo-gallery/Ravens-Cheerleaders-Visit-Troops/b556394f-ffc3-418c-a421-a096f450aa53
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

We were supposed to have an NFL Combine challenge event for people here....but it got canceled because of potential rain and instead turned into a meet and greet with him, former Chiefs WR Eddie Kennison, and 6 NFL cheerleaders (2 from Rams, Patriots, Ravens).

Talked to Kennison first....very nice guy, smart......talked about his post NFL life a bit, the art of being a WR, and his ties to the Chiefs now and support for Alex -- he really likes AS.

As for Parrish, the dude is very well spoken and cool. Looks like he could still play in the league.

• When I told him thanks for being one of the bright spots in the dark years, he immediately turned to the side and got a bit into it like it affected him.....and the one of the first things he said was "Man, Mike Nolan........the guy was just an insecure ego maniac.......very good defensive coordinator, don't get me wrong........but he didn't like being challenged." (interestingly nothing about Dennis Erickson)
  • I asked about the 2002 NFC Wildcard comeback against the Giants: "Man, that game was crazy......but I swear we never panicked. We were down by 24 points but never felt like we were out of it, and then our D tightened up and our offense started scoring points. Great game. Very chippy game, a lot of fighting."
  • A funny story branched off a side topic: "Man, I don't like looking at myself [magazines/internet/etc]. But compare that to TO.....man, the definition of a 'ME' guy. We went to TO's house one time, and I swear to god it was 10,000 square feet of HIM. Pictures of him every room it seemed. We always gave him s*** for that!"
  • I told him at some point "You know that jersey # is a big deal in San Francisco", and he said "Oh man, I know.......I played in that Legends of Candlestick game a few months back and it was SO MUCH FUN. I was so honored to play in that game, with guys like Dwight Hicks, Jesse Sapolu, Joe Montana....was a great time, felt great to be a Niner."
  • I didn't plan any of this conversation but I did have one question I had to ask him for all our sakes: "Tony, what's happening to OUR team?" -- "Man, it's just chemistry. It's not about personnel....when you see a team with this much success, it's all about the chemistry, especially on OFFENSE when timing and execution is so critical. I swear man, as a defender I've seen teams go through issues like this and I'm telling you, you can read what's going on so easily [he turns away from me towards my friend staring right at him to indicate that deer in the headlights look] ...it looks like every play is like this! like i'm going to throw the ball right at you [defender].....look, all teams have tendencies but when you cannot even do the few things you're good at right, something is up [laughs]."

That comment on tendencies was in response to me saying "I've been hearing teams have had the Niners' offensive tendencies down pact".......the whole Harbaugh/Roman thing he didn't even begin to touch. Only thing he would say was a bit of a 50/50 "I'm beginning to think that Harbaugh is probably part of the problem at this point.".

Very insightful convo....a good storyteller, nice guy. A wonderful Niner to meet....made my day.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/photos/photo-gallery/Ravens-Cheerleaders-Visit-Troops/b556394f-ffc3-418c-a421-a096f450aa53

Im jelly...lol

Thats cool man, and honestly a problem nobody has really talked about. 3 new WRs new RB new OL makes sense
One of my Fave 49ers ever! I remember a game Vs the Eagles where he single handedly won us the game!!!

2 INTS, FF and over 10 tackles

I remember late in the 4th quarter the Eagles WR catches a deep pass and is running for the GW TD, but Parrish runs from behind and pops the ball out into the touchback. Went from a Eagles TD to 49ers ball

Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
One of my Fave 49ers ever! I remember a game Vs the Eagles where he single handedly won us the game!!!

2 INTS, FF and over 10 tackles

I remember late in the 4th quarter the Eagles WR catches a deep pass and is running for the GW TD, but Parrish runs from behind and pops the ball out into the touchback. Went from a Eagles TD to 49ers ball
Seems we have knack for popping the ball out, from behind, of the Eagles WRs in game ending situations.(J.Smith)
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Awesome story! The TO bit made me lol
Awesome story. Glad you got to meet him & have a nice conversation like that
So cool. Thanks so much for documenting it for us. It's another defender telling us how our offense looks right now. Scheme. Lacks chemistry. Easy to read by the defense. HaRoman are a huge part of the aforementioned issues. It's their offense.
Thanks guys, glad you can appreciate it!

Don't hesitate to say what's up to TP if you run into him.

Share 49ersWebzone