There are 235 users in the forums

9ers Hitting OTAs early

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Jack:
Originally posted by Nes49:
Quote:
Singletary, 49ers to get a jump on OTAs

Man, that Mike Singletary doesn't waste time. Singletary and the 49ers will hold one of the earliest OTAs I've ever heard about when they take to the field Monday and Tuesday. This is expected to be the only time the 49ers will practice as a team until their first rookie minicamp following the April 22-24 draft.

When you look at it, an early start makes sense. First, this is vintage Singletary. The guy has been champing at the bit since the end of the season, traveling around the country for college pro days and taking on a much larger role as far as draft evaluation than any other coach in the league. He also has two new assistants in fairly prominent positions. One of them, Mike Solari, likely wants to see what he has on the offensive line before the draft. As I've been writing, Solari will have a lot of ways to mix and match his line, especially if the team lands free-agent guard Chester Pitts. The 49ers also are expected to draft an offensive tackle early in the draft.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/singletary-49er-1.html#ixzz0jIbVZZSX
nice

This is about as useful as his nutcracker drills were last year. He's completely overwhelmed by the position of head coach. There is no legitimate reason for this. He probably thinks he somehow is going to get extra practices. Probably thinks he has discovered a motivational loophole. Nobody has clued him into the fact that this grand scheme is ridiculous.

You don't know, Jack.

I concur.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Get crackin on those timing patterns with your recievers ALEX!!!

Lol. I never seen Alex hit on a timing pattern. The reciever almost always has to adjust.

These are probably his best lineup of recievers he's had so far. So he better be working on them.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran

Lol. I never seen Alex hit on a timing pattern. The reciever almost always has to adjust.

These are probably his best lineup of recievers he's had so far. So he better be working on them.

Agreed. I mean He & Crabz are good.....but continued work & growth with make the even better.
Not good news. Bad news. It is a sign that Sing really does not know what he is doing.

The NFL is an old league gentlemen. It would have been discovered by now if shorter off seasons produces winners. And if that were the case, all the teams would have enforced all year practices a long time ago.

It looks like he simply just doesn't know what else to try.
Originally posted by danimal:
Not good news. Bad news. It is a sign that Sing really does not know what he is doing.

The NFL is an old league gentlemen. It would have been discovered by now if shorter off seasons produces winners. And if that were the case, all the teams would have enforced all year practices a long time ago.

How about 2 new coaches that need early looks at our guys. 1 of which will be giving direct input on O linemen that he may want.

You have to know what is broke before you can fix it.

[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 26, 2010 at 14:39:03 ]

Early OTA's = Sing is incompetent
Originally posted by jreff22:

How about 2 new coaches that need early looks at our guys. 1 of which will be giving direct input on O linemen that he may want.

Again. I will always point to history. Are the 2010 49ers the first team to ever have new coaches?

This has been thought of, tested, dismissed many many many times before. More practice.......does not get you ahead in the Pros. That is High School Stuff

alex does miss some passes, i remember him missing crabtree deep against det and stl, both could have been td's instead of 30+ yd passes, but i also remeber that bullet he threw to crabtree in indy when crab got inside the corner and alex zipped it in there before the safety could get there, he can hit those good throws and i hope this OTA s**t helps him hit more of them

Again. I will always point to history. Are the 2010 49ers the first team to ever have new coaches?

This has been thought of, tested, dismissed many many many times before. More practice.......does not get you ahead in the Pros. That is High School Stuff

Considering we just added a new O Line Coach, wouldn't you rather he take some time to directly see his guys before we go into a draft where we may be drafting 2 potential starters?

Solari was also helping to run drills at the combine so if anybody can compare our players with the prospects it's Solari. Could also be a chance to take a look at some PR/KR on our team before we draft one. I like it, make sure you know what you have before the draft. I don't really see how these OTAs can be a negative.
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Solari was also helping to run drills at the combine so if anybody can compare our players with the prospects it's Solari. Could also be a chance to take a look at some PR/KR on our team before we draft one. I like it, make sure you know what you have before the draft. I don't really see how these OTAs can be a negative.

Overworking your players.

Lower Morale.

Logic 101. If there were no downside, all teams would do it
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I have to say that I'm impressed because it's the SMART thing to do - 2 new coordinators who want to assess talent of their units BEFORE the draft. Come on, that's just smart. OTAs aren't about getting guys in shape. Players do that all year round and OTA post-draft with camp will emphasize football shape along with the off-season workout schedule (outside the OTAs and camp). I would love to hear Mike Johnson having a QB and receivers camp exclusively with Smith, Davis, Crabtree and Morgan. If we can get these these 4 on the same page, teach Morgan how to beat a press, and have Davis become more familiar with route adjustment (and what Smith can read from his body language), this offense can be as good as any out there.

Great post NinerGM! I completely agree this is a very good step for the 49ers & the coaches to see what the players can do before the draft to help them sort out draft possibilities.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:

Overworking your players.

Lower Morale.

Logic 101. If there were no downside, all teams would do it

Also, the rookies need OTAs the most and the 49ers rookies will get only 12 days instead of 14 days all the other teams rookies get.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:
New assistant coaches Mike Solari and Kurt Schottenheimer want to take a firsthand look at the 49ers' existing talent before the draft. Barrows: "Teams are allowed to hold 14 OTA sessions as part of their offseason program. Most of them choose to have those sessions after the draft and most are conducted in May and June. Last year, two teams had April OTAs; none had any in March. OTA stands for organized team activity, and they are essentially abbreviated, non-contact practices."

I am guessing it's more of the conversation between the coach and player instead of the actual physical activity the players show in those OTAs.

There's a lot of game tape that Solari and Schott can review about our current crop of players.
Share 49ersWebzone