There are 239 users in the forums

9ers Hitting OTAs early

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Singletary, 49ers to get a jump on OTAs

Man, that Mike Singletary doesn't waste time. Singletary and the 49ers will hold one of the earliest OTAs I've ever heard about when they take to the field Monday and Tuesday. This is expected to be the only time the 49ers will practice as a team until their first rookie minicamp following the April 22-24 draft.

When you look at it, an early start makes sense. First, this is vintage Singletary. The guy has been champing at the bit since the end of the season, traveling around the country for college pro days and taking on a much larger role as far as draft evaluation than any other coach in the league. He also has two new assistants in fairly prominent positions. One of them, Mike Solari, likely wants to see what he has on the offensive line before the draft. As I've been writing, Solari will have a lot of ways to mix and match his line, especially if the team lands free-agent guard Chester Pitts. The 49ers also are expected to draft an offensive tackle early in the draft.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/singletary-49er-1.html#ixzz0jIbVZZSX
nice
GET TO WORK
This is good news. Get em started early
Somebody will hate.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Somebody will hate.

troof
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Somebody will hate.

Yep

Dude is doing his HW.
Get on it, Crabtree.

I expect him to start schooling Nasty Nate.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Get on it, Crabtree.

I expect him to start schooling Nasty Nate.

Doubt it.
  • Jack
Originally posted by Nes49:
Quote:

Man, that Mike Singletary doesn't waste time. Singletary and the 49ers will hold one of the earliest OTAs I've ever heard about when they take to the field Monday and Tuesday. This is expected to be the only time the 49ers will practice as a team until their first rookie minicamp following the April 22-24 draft.

When you look at it, an early start makes sense. First, this is vintage Singletary. The guy has been champing at the bit since the end of the season, traveling around the country for college pro days and taking on a much larger role as far as draft evaluation than any other coach in the league. He also has two new assistants in fairly prominent positions. One of them, Mike Solari, likely wants to see what he has on the offensive line before the draft. As I've been writing, Solari will have a lot of ways to mix and match his line, especially if the team lands free-agent guard Chester Pitts. The 49ers also are expected to draft an offensive tackle early in the draft.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/singletary-49er-1.html#ixzz0jIbVZZSX
nice

This is about as useful as his nutcracker drills were last year. He's completely overwhelmed by the position of head coach. There is no legitimate reason for this. He probably thinks he somehow is going to get extra practices. Probably thinks he has discovered a motivational loophole. Nobody has clued him into the fact that this grand scheme is ridiculous.
Originally posted by Jack:
Quote:

nice

This is about as useful as his nutcracker drills were last year. He's completely overwhelmed by the position of head coach. There is no legitimate reason for this. He probably thinks he somehow is going to get extra practices. Probably thinks he has discovered a motivational loophole. Nobody has clued him into the fact that this grand scheme is ridiculous.

You don't know, Jack.

• Tman
  • Veteran
Quote:

nice

Dude seriously.... stop it

So he is trying something different, could work out to be a great idea. Why not get the whole team together as early as possible and set the tone for the rest of the offseason and into minicamps. I personally think its a great idea, especially a few weeks before the draft.
Don't feed the troll.
Quote:

nice

Are you kidding me? You have a brand new OL coach and you have two first round picks when OL has been a weakness, of course the coach wants to see what he's got before making any draft suggestions.

What If at the camp Solari goes "I can make David Baas a Pro-Bowler", do we still draft Iupati at #17? Remember Solari was at the combine so he's seen the prospects up close in almost these exact same drills. If anybody can make a comparison between our players' skills and the prospects' skills it's Solari.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Quote:

nice

Are you kidding me? You have a brand new OL coach and you have two first round picks when OL has been a weakness, of course the coach wants to see what he's got before making any draft suggestions.

What If at the camp Solari goes "I can make David Baas a Pro-Bowler", do we still draft Iupati at #17? Remember Solari was at the combine so he's seen the prospects up close in almost these exact same drills. If anybody can make a comparison between our players' skills and the prospects' skills it's Solari.

You make some excellent points. Clearly Jack doesn't know jack about NFL football.
New assistant coaches Mike Solari and Kurt Schottenheimer want to take a firsthand look at the 49ers' existing talent before the draft. Barrows: "Teams are allowed to hold 14 OTA sessions as part of their offseason program. Most of them choose to have those sessions after the draft and most are conducted in May and June. Last year, two teams had April OTAs; none had any in March. OTA stands for organized team activity, and they are essentially abbreviated, non-contact practices."

[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 26, 2010 at 09:50:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone