LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

Steve Young as a GM?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Why not get Montana to be the GM? He isn't doing anything. Heck, might as well get Rice also to be an assistant to the GM. Because great players make great GMs. Right?

True, but Young just seems smart.
From all the crazy **** I read on NT, this is actually a good idea...crazy as that sounds. I listen to him occasionally on KNBR in the afternoon, he's a smart guy with logical and educated opinions about the team and would love to have him be a part of the Niners in the near future!
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
From all the crazy **** I read on NT, this is actually a good idea...crazy as that sounds. I listen to him occasionally on KNBR in the afternoon, he's a smart guy with logical and educated opinions about the team and would love to have him be a part of the Niners in the near future!

Yup, one thing he always points to is the system changing every year, with Young in charge atleast we know every year we would be running the WCO and he would get coaches that run that systen so even if the oc leaves, the system wouldn't change.
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Don't feed the troll

Are you still mad because I would rather have McNabb over Smith?

Mad over what?

by you wanting to gamble the 49ers future just for this upcoming season.

So you think one 2nd round draft pick and Alex Smith is gambling the 49ers future?

for a player already on his way out, yes that is.

He is still behind Alex Smith, Smith might be out before McNabb.

If mcnabb comes in, smith will be out next year for sure. mcnabb can also leave/retire next year.

What would do now with both players gone?

Mcnabb is not young, this would have been a great move 3-4 years ago, but not now.

I think Smith is out either way, McNabb or no McNabb unless he kills it next year and shows he can play from under center and is more decisive in his options. He had a good year, but he still scares me every time I watch.

In what thread was this subject discussed?

But to wade in on something WAY off topic: To get McNabb for a second and Smith would be incredible. I don't believe that either McNabb or Philly would go for it, though.
McNabb is not that old. He has at least three/four GOOD years left in him. But Smith would be just a throw away for Philly.
For the Niner's : They would finally understand what a winning attitude meant. Because that is what McNabb would bring. Right now they can talk a lot about winning; but it's the same every year. There is no built-in expectation; something that McNabb would bring with him. (Even if he is a choker )

Good one pd24! get it done!
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Stop it.

Steve Young is not talented enough to be a GM.
Jerry Rice is not talented enough to be a WR coach.
Joe Montana can't be a QB coach.

Just because somebody can perform a function very well does not mean they can TEACH other people to do it. Instructing and evaluating requires a completely different talent set than that of performing athletically.

The line of thinking that every 49er great is somehow a great candidate to coach the position they once played is fueled more by emotion than logic.

In Steve Young's case, just because he likes to talk a lot of nonsense on TV a few weekends a year and has command of the english language does not mean he knows anything about selecting talent and performing evaluations on a day-to-day basis. That just means he talks a lot, and people know his name from his playing days. His opinion is no more valuable than anybody else that played a few years in the NFL.
Why not get Montana to be the GM? He isn't doing anything. Heck, might as well get Rice also to be an assistant to the GM. Because great players make great GMs. Right?

This guy seemed smart too and he was a good player and very good TV football analyst:

• pd24
  • Veteran

This guy seemed smart too and he was a good player and very good TV football analyst:

He doesn't seem to smart next to Young on ESPN.

He doesn't seem to smart next to Young on ESPN.

I've heard Young make some pretty silly comments during games. But, that doesn't matter. Millen was so good at being a football analyst before he was actually offered a GM position of a football franchise. The Lions learned a lesson; as has every other franchise.
As crazy as this idea seems on the surface, Young is highly intelligent and familiar with the workings of the NFL and business in general. There's probably not much he doesn't know about the game and the business of football. He'd certainly do a better job than some of the Yahoos running teams today. He and Jerry Rice both (and maybe others?) have previously expressed interest in helping the 9'ers out in some capacity. I don't know why the team hasn't taken them up on it.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Stop it.

Just because somebody can perform a function very well does not mean they can TEACH other people to do it. Instructing and evaluating requires a completely different talent set than that of performing athletically.

The line of thinking that every 49er great is somehow a great candidate to coach the position they once played is fueled more by emotion than logic.

In Steve Young's case, just because he likes to talk a lot of nonsense on TV a few weekends a year and has command of the english language does not mean he knows anything about selecting talent and performing evaluations on a day-to-day basis. That just means he talks a lot, and people know his name from his playing days. His opinion is no more valuable than anybody else that played a few years in the NFL.

But if they have the desire to, then why not? Our HC was a great LB. Many coaches are former players. Rice not talented enough to be even a WR coach? Wow...I have a tough time believing that one.

Stop it.

But if they have the desire to, then why not? Our HC was a great LB. Many coaches are former players. Rice not talented enough to be even a WR coach? Wow...I have a tough time believing that one.

Both Michael Jordan and Wayne Gretzky were perhaps the best in their professional sport and were lame as coaches. Just because a player is great, doesn't mean he can make others the same.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Stop it.

________

Well, seeing as how Rice certainly isn't knocking down anybody's door to be a coach shows that he has no interest in it, thus impacting his talent level.

I think you're putting the p***y on a pedistal, as they say. You fall in love with a guy because he was a great WR and think he can do anything he sets his mind to. That is great for motivational speeches, but not reality. For instance, I'm willing to bet there is no amount of work or dedication you could have done to become a hall of fame WR.

And so what if they have the desire to. Doesn't mean I want to risk the well-being and talent level of my WR-corp just to give a guy a shot at being a coach. My job is on the line as the head coach. I better be damn sure he is one of the best coaches in the business.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ghostrider:

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
No one knows how good a judge of talent he is

what is interesting is that I believe Steve is a lawyer by trade and is a rather smart dude so he could def handle the paper work side of things a part most people forget about

it's not that crazy

and comparing him to Matt Millin really that dude is borderline retarded
Share 49ersWebzone