LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

MM's once a month sucking of Alex

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well, one thing MM does is see Alex on a daily basis...none of us do. He sees a lot more of what he's about as a QB than any of us do. I think he's stated the facts...that Alex has had a tough time, much of it not his own doing. Show me another QB who came into the league @ the time he did that's had as many OC's, a poor OL and until last year, a sub-par receiving corps. I agree, this is his make-or-break year, and I think he'll do well, but we'll see. If so, great, maybe some bashers will finally cut the guy some slack. If not, then I guess their criticism will be validated.
he throws 18 td in 10 games and people still b***h... face it hes our starter
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by Cuphalffull:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I was lucky enough to watch Montana and Young so I've seen what great quarterback play is.

You can say I was spoiled because I got to watch two HOFs but guess what? Great franchises like the Yankees, Lakers, etc..... have great expectations sometimes unrealistic ones.

The fact is, is that even the Alex Smith supporters/stans have given him one more year to prove himself. That should be enough to tell you how close or FAR AWAY he is from being a franchise QB.

And if Jed York and Singletary are so confident in him, then they should extend his contract.....oh wait they haven't. I wonder why.....

If you don't like the harsh criticism of Alex Smith, deal with it....

Where is the David Baas bandwagon btw? Surely the turnover in the coaching staff, position coaches, offensive coordinators, and offensive scheme, has prevented him from reaching his Pro Bowl potential.

Haterz 1 - Stans 0

Damn, watching a couple of Hall of Fame Qbs makes one an expert in Qb play? I should apply for a job with an NFL team as a talent scout. My resume would include that I have been watching football sine the early 70’s, have watched numerous hall of fame Qbs to include the great Joe Montana and Steve Young. That should get me a job right away………..

Reality check: Watching a Qb does not make you an expert. That said, many on here think that they are expert talent evaluators because they watch football every Saturday and Sunday.

The problem here is that some fans are arrogant imbeciles who think they know everything there is to know about football yet they are sitting behind a TV every Sunday watching the game and screaming at the TV.

As a fan, it is normal to be critical of a player. That said, when our criticism becomes unjustified and we choose not to identify or consider any positives about a player we have delved in the realm of total and complete bias which makes one look like an idiot.

Alex Smith has had moments where one wonders what in the he** is going on. However there have been times where he has come out and played extremely well. If one was objective they would consider what he did well and consider his flaws. As there really is not a viable alternative to Alex this year, one would be best suited to watch closely and see if there continues to be an improvement. If not, he is gone.

I am interested to see if given an entire off-season to gear an offense to Alex’s strengths, our OC can put a game plan together that best suits our offense.

Quote:

Reality check: Watching a Qb does not make you an expert. That said, many on here think that they are expert talent evaluators because they watch football every Saturday and Sunday.

The problem here is that some fans are arrogant imbeciles who think they know everything there is to know about football yet they are sitting behind a TV every Sunday watching the game and screaming at the TV.

Where is he claiming to be an expert or where do you see the arrogance in his comments?

Quote:
As a fan, it is normal to be critical of a player. That said, when our criticism becomes unjustified and we choose not to identify or consider any positives about a player we have delved in the realm of total and complete bias which makes one look like an idiot.

Alex Smith has had moments where one wonders what in the he** is going on. However there have been times where he has come out and played extremely well. If one was objective they would consider what he did well and consider his flaws. As there really is not a viable alternative to Alex this year, one would be best suited to watch closely and see if there continues to be an improvement. If not, he is gone.

Its not that we don't acknowledge the improvement or the spurts of good play. You would be an idiot not to see how well he performed in Houston last year, for example. Its the fact that we don't agree with the assumption that giving him more time to "develop" would turn him into the pro-bowl QB we all expect to see. The reality is that he has had his time to learn and he has this year to prove himself, as you've pointed out, and if he doesn't, then he is gone.

I hope I'm proven wrong, but that has been my stance for a long time now. If he fails again this season it will support the opinion of many who thought he never had the "it" to become successful. If he performs well, then we were wrong in our assessments and he will be prove that he can win the big one if he has the the right system + players around him.

It appears as though I must have been misunderstood.
I was merely pointing out that watching good Qb play does not make one an expert on qb play. Many of us have been watching football for 30+ years but that does not make us an expert. Our criticism as well as praise is based upon our own biases.

Perhaps I missed on my intention in generalizing what I perceive to be happening so much here in NT in that we have arm chair coaches/talent scouts that ramble on about Alex Smith and how he sucks, some coming from an arrogant and imbecilic stance. I did not intend to point at this poster as being arrogant only that some on here think they should be talent scouts but are watching the game the same way I am each week. I attempted to bold some, indicating a broad brush swipe on what I have seen.

Another point I must have failed in making was the reality that considering the circumstances, Alex actually did pretty good last year. Consider how Qbs typically perform after being thrust into action mid season. Rarely do they consistently fair well as the offense is geared to the starting Qb. It is really hard to gauge just how good he is or could have been through the year. His flashes of great play cannot be ignored and with Jimmy Raye having an opportunity to see Alex’s strengths, it begs the question as to will he be able to incorporate an offense that capitalizes on those strengths and minimize his weaknesses.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wassmuth49:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

my evolution of emotions upon seeing that play haha

Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by wassmuth49:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

my evolution of emotions upon seeing that play haha

my evolution of emotions after seeing that play
Originally posted by excelsior:
I read this garbage coming from guys who can do nothing but rip Alex as a loser. He is one of only 32 NFL starting QBs and has made more than $25M. Very, very few people have achieved what he has, and you guys call him a loser? What insane universe do you live in? And just who are you, and what have you done compared to him? Who is the loser?

Well what the heck are we supposed to do, sit in the double wide all day. I had to get in the pickup truck and go down to the Dew Drop for a cold one, because I was getting all worked up.
Originally posted by danimal:
I don't HATE Alex Smith.

I HATE the people who drafted him and the people who refuse to cut him

Why would they cut him at this point though, seriously? At some point you have to just understand the logic of keeping Smith. He improved last year, and it stands to reason that if the arc of his career continues as it has then he may be a very good quarterback in the coming years. I want to illustrate what I am getting at with stats.

I will just use QB rating because that is the most all-inclusive QB stat, and he has only played one full season of games so other stats might be misleading, though I think all his numbers will follow this basic trend line in general.

2005 - Rating: 40.8 - obviously he had a very poor rookie season in 9 games
2006 - Rating: 74.8 - A large leap into mediocrity for Smith - started 16 games
2007 - Rating: 57.2 - INJURED after third game (or was it 4th game?)
2008 - Did not play
2009 - Rating: 81.5 - A solid, if unspectacular 10 game season with ups and downs.

As you can see, even including 2007, Smith has shown that given time he tends to improve. This improvement may not be as abrupt as between 2005-2006 where his rating shot up 34 points, but lets just say that he improves again this year by the more modest 7 points or so between his last 2 injury-free seasons. (2006-2009) That would give him a top 15/top 10 QB rating (depending on the year), and would almost certainly mean a niner playoff birth.

The way I see it there are several scenarios that could go down next year.

1. Smith will continue his slow and steady progression because of familiarity with the offense, other players, the continuity of the coaching staff, and improving mechanics, along with another off-season as the starter.

2. He will plateau at around the level he played at last year - that means he needs to be gone. He would become a fringe starter, or a backup (obviously the 49ers would release him, and he would be a backup/fringe starter somewhere else)

3. He could improve dramatically - everything comes together, and his problem areas click.

4. He could get injured, or struggle and be replaced. - Teams figure him out, he breaks down mentally or physically. Once and for all he is known as a huge BUST (hooray!)

When looking at his history, there is little chance of him digressing unless there is some kind of injury, though I realize some could argue that he had digressed in 2007. I think the sample size was just too small for that season before he was injured, and his improved play in 2009 would back that idea up, or at least bring the idea of a true regression in 2007 in to serious question.

When taking all this information in to account, why would any rational GM or organization not make sure what they have once and for all this year? All of the above scenarios are possible. Nobody really knows what will happen this year, though I would say that the evidence points to scenario number 1 being the most likely barring injury. With all those factors would it be wise to drop him at this point? Are you sure that you are not just projecting Alex 2007 to the current player? This goes out to all the "Alex Haters":

Isn't it more likely that you have a personal Bias for whatever reason, or you are making it an emotional argument versus a rational one?
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I was lucky enough to watch Montana and Young so I've seen what great quarterback play is.

You can say I was spoiled because I got to watch two HOFs but guess what? Great franchises like the Yankees, Lakers, etc..... have great expectations sometimes unrealistic ones.

The fact is, is that even the Alex Smith supporters/stans have given him one more year to prove himself. That should be enough to tell you how close or FAR AWAY he is from being a franchise QB.

And if Jed York and Singletary are so confident in him, then they should extend his contract.....oh wait they haven't. I wonder why.....

If you don't like the harsh criticism of Alex Smith, deal with it....

Where is the David Baas bandwagon btw? Surely the turnover in the coaching staff, position coaches, offensive coordinators, and offensive scheme, has prevented him from reaching his Pro Bowl potential.

Haterz 1 - Stans 0

It might be different if that shoulder injury hadn't put him out effectively for two years. Many on here will argue that his second season showed promise. His third and fourth seasons were effectively wiped out. Maybe I'm a Kool-aide drinker, but I discount his poor performances playing with a severe separated shoulder.

He had his up and downs last year but again showed upside. 18 touchdowns to 12 interceptions isn't too bad. It doesn't matter now if he was the #1 pick or how much money the Niners have shelled out. The question is does he have more upside and will he be an effective Q.B. for the future? This question probably would have been answered after the 08 season. The way things worked out looks like we will have to wait for the next season. But, if he continues to improve (continuity, the emergence of Davis and Crabtree, and hopefully an improved O-Line should give him the opportunity) then he might turn out to be a pretty good Q.B. We will see.

[ Edited by BHulman on Mar 25, 2010 at 16:16:54 ]
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
I don't HATE Alex Smith.

Why would they cut him at this point though, seriously? At some point you have to just understand the logic of keeping Smith. He improved last year, and it stands to reason that if the arc of his career continues as it has then he may be a very good quarterback in the coming years. I want to illustrate what I am getting at with stats.

I will just use QB rating because that is the most all-inclusive QB stat, and he has only played one full season of games so other stats might be misleading, though I think all his numbers will follow this basic trend line in general.

2008 - Did not play
2009 - Rating: 81.5 - A solid, if unspectacular 10 game season with ups and downs.

As you can see, even including 2007, Smith has shown that given time he tends to improve. This improvement may not be as abrupt as between 2005-2006 where his rating shot up 34 points, but lets just say that he improves again this year by the more modest 7 points or so between his last 2 injury-free seasons. (2006-2009) That would give him a top 15/top 10 QB rating (depending on the year), and would almost certainly mean a niner playoff birth.

1. Smith will continue his slow and steady progression because of familiarity with the offense, other players, the continuity of the coaching staff, and improving mechanics, along with another off-season as the starter.

2. He will plateau at around the level he played at last year - that means he needs to be gone. He would become a fringe starter, or a backup (obviously the 49ers would release him, and he would be a backup/fringe starter somewhere else)

3. He could improve dramatically - everything comes together, and his problem areas click.

4. He could get injured, or struggle and be replaced. - Teams figure him out, he breaks down mentally or physically. Once and for all he is known as a huge BUST (hooray!)

When looking at his history, there is little chance of him digressing unless there is some kind of injury, though I realize some could argue that he had digressed in 2007. I think the sample size was just too small for that season before he was injured, and his improved play in 2009 would back that idea up, or at least bring the idea of a true regression in 2007 in to serious question.

When taking all this information in to account, why would any rational GM or organization not make sure what they have once and for all this year? All of the above scenarios are possible. Nobody really knows what will happen this year, though I would say that the evidence points to scenario number 1 being the most likely barring injury. With all those factors would it be wise to drop him at this point? Are you sure that you are not just projecting Alex 2007 to the current player? This goes out to all the "Alex Haters":

Isn't it more likely that you have a personal Bias for whatever reason, or you are making it an emotional argument versus a rational one?

I would have cut him after 2007 based on 4 reasons

1. He was a reach to begin with, this was not unheard of
2. He proved his NFL floor in 05 and 06, a floor which is not NFL starter material
3. Pre Injury he had shown no real improvement. He basically was not much better than Rookie Alex Smith, who was already a reach to begin with
4. Possible f**ked up shoulder is the icing on the cake

I won't argue the rationale in those 4 reasons. I have had the debate too many times. Anyone who does not see those for what they are, honestly...is not worth debating with.

Before 2008, I could have guessed his ceiling, which is exactly what I saw last year. Thats it. It won't go up from here.

[ Edited by danimal on Mar 25, 2010 at 17:16:13 ]
I don't HATE Alex Smith.

2008 - Did not play

2. He proved his NFL floor in 05 and 06, a floor which is not NFL starter material
3. Pre Injury he had shown no real improvement. He basically was not much better than Rookie Alex Smith, who was already a reach to begin with

I won't argue that rational in those 4 reasons. I have had the debate too many times. Anyone who does not see those for what they are, honestly...is not worth debating with.

Before 2008, I could have guess his ceiling, which is exactly what I saw last year. Thats it. It won't go up from here.

I can't help thinking about that Cards game in 07 when Smith led that final drive. Remember all the drops that Jackson had in that game? Remember how unimaginative the offense was under Hostler? Davis wasn't really involved and Arnez Battle was the Niners best receiver. Niether Smith and Leinart had done much (though Leinhart had Fitzgerald and Boldin) up to that point. But it was Smith who put the game on his shoulders and pulled out the win. Rookie Alex Smith would not have done that.

You seriously don't think that he showed upside last year? Before last season, a lot of people called him Alex "Leaf." Then it progressed to, after he started playing, saying he will prove he is not a starting QB in the NFL. Then he became a mediocrity who could never lead the Niners to a Super Bowl. Not a bad progression in 10 games. I don't know if your views changed but I don't think I am
mischaracterizing the general trend throughout the season.

You could have guessed his ceiling in 08? Did you post that anywhere before the season. Did you say he would 3:2 touchdown over interception ratio and that he would have a QB rating over 80%? And also, that would be his absolute limit? If you did I, for one, would acknowledge you as the Plato of this board.

A lot of emotion is invested in this issue on all sides. If we could be purely rational we would probably not be fans. I want the kid to succeed. I like the kid and think he has potential. Also, it would really be great for the Niners if he did succeedt. You don't think he has any more potential than he has already shown and that what would be best for the Niners is to cut ties. Fair enough. But at this point "rationality" isn't going to convince anyone.

[ Edited by BHulman on Mar 25, 2010 at 17:27:04 ]

this thread sucks
I don't HATE Alex Smith.

2008 - Did not play

I won't argue the rationale in those 4 reasons. I have had the debate too many times. Anyone who does not see those for what they are, honestly...is not worth debating with.

Before 2008, I could have guessed his ceiling, which is exactly what I saw last year. Thats it. It won't go up from here.

1. I agree with you
2. That is debatable. in 06 his qb rating was in the 70's. That is not good, but definitely a young NFL level Starter. Most Qb's need until year 3 or 4 before they hit a plateau.
3. This is FALSE. He showed huge improvement from 05 - 06 only someone who doesn't look at statistics could claim that he didn't improve dramatically. He didn't improve enough for you perhaps, but most football people were expecting another improvement the next year.
4. that would have been a reason to cut him , I agree, but they decided to re-sign him at a much reduced rate, which was also a viable option. In any case you have no reason to be mad for any rational reason that Smith has not been cut.

You really didn't address any of the points that I made. Try doing so with actual statistics, or correct facts. Eliminating your personal bias will help. Also, it is kind of pointless to say that if somebody doesn't agree with your opinion they don't deserve to debate. Opinions are only valid with hard facts, which from point 3 that you made, is questionable in your analysis.

Your last statement is a guess. You have no facts to back it up. Notice that I gave actual reasons why I thought it was likely he would improve. You are not being impartial about it and therefore your opinion becomes less credible. Why will that be his ceiling?

huh?
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by BayBombers:
Originally posted by excelsior:

But the haters' single-minded obsession can only be described as a psychological disorder, the likely product of emotional scarring that occurred sometime in their earlier lives. Their own feelings of failure and inadequacy is dealt with by convincing themselves that some other high-profile person is a failure too. Truly sad.

Amen.

If only these were the Dr Phil forums than this statement might make sense... but this is a 49ers FOOTBALL forum... not a pansy ass "share your feelings and tribulations, cry on my shoulder and let's talk this out" message board.

Just because Smith fooled Nolan into taking him with the 1st pick and raped the Niners for more cash than what he's worth, it doesn't make him successful... on the football field.

An as far as the poster above, yet again posting the same drivel and excuses for our wonder boy:

This question is for the Smith haters ONLY. Since I seem to do such a goob job shutting down Smith hater threads with this question I figured I'll ask it here as well.

Top QB's in the NFL (in no order):

Peyton/Eli Manning
Rothlisberger
Rivers
Brees
Favre
Romo
Rodgers
Brady
Palmer
McNabb

Name just ONE of them that has had to not only learn a new offense in each of their first 5 seasons, but has also had a revolving door at OC and QB coach, such a lack of talent on the offensive line and a head coach that threw them under the bus for attempting to play hurt.

I'm still waiting for my answer to this question. One that Smith haters conveniently overlook because they truly have NO answer for it.

So...don't worry...I'll wait. _________ end of one of many excuses, onward>>

Please wait till you turn blue and think up more excuses. Oh Suswell, good job OL chap!

Many of us you call haters, do NOT hate this very nice rich young man who has done nothing to earn the amount of money (freaking millions) he has been paid.

We only hate the way he plays QB for our beloved 49ers. Maybe you can understand this; We don't like him as a football player because his skill set, what there is of it, is so limited and inconsistent to the extreme, it is clear he is not the answer for our team. Unless of course you are happy with 2 rungs lower than mediocrity. Is this clear?

I really, really hope he plays like he was paid this year and proves me wrong, but.. no commentator in the league, that I have read, thinks he will, only some people in here who always... gezzz, what a horrid waste of time.

Where did the "hater" jargon come from anywhere? Elementary school or what?

Sighhhhhhhhhh

Funny thing is...You did a helluva lot of talking...NONE of which answered the damn question I asked to begin with. Which FURTHER proves my point that 49er fans are more content with just being rotten ass crybabies about what Smith hasnt done without factoring in the events in his career that have led up to it.

2 prime examples I will give you and they both reside in the NFC East.

Eli Manning: was downright considered a bust before the 2007 Superbowl by Giants fans. Why you ask? Because he had been given every ounce of stability necessary to produce at a high level, and he had not done so, matter of fact he looked blantantly terrible at times. There are Giants fans who still say that play Eli made in the superbowl to Tyree saved his career in NY because they didnt feel that he had done enough to help a great defense and running game get over the hump. Fact is: The Giants stuck with him, continued the stability and are reaping the benefits from it.

Jason Campbell: The closest thing to Alex Smith in the NFL minus the injuries. This kid has a world of talent (like Smith) but the organization has been so terrible with aiding his development that fans cannot see past whats on TV. They just choose to ignore the fact that he's been through 4 offenses in 5 years, cant complete a 3 step drop without getting pounded or have a reliable running game with a professional carrying the football to protect him.

Fans are what they are...granted...not all are smart enough to think outside the box.

Such as relating it to your own employment. If you werent given the tools necessary to perform your job to the best of your ability, how could outsiders or your boss fairly say its all YOUR fault?

But thats exactly what has been happening in the Bay Area with Smith. He has his faults, although they arent as wide spread as these "haters" would have you believe. He does miss the occasional open man, he has a tendency to throw a little high, but funny that no one sees how Morgan, Crabtree and Davis are not finished products as pass receivers. Just the fact that they think Alex cant get it to them.

The kid has shown me enough just coming through all of this nonsense will a clear head on his shoulders. Not to mention that I still believe once he masters an offense, the 49ers will have a star on their hands. Since he's never been afforded that chance and fans refuse to acknowledge that fact, he will continue to hear the baseless critique from uneducated onlookers who have nothing better to do than play Madden and think the real world equates to that.

I am in the pool of those who say this is his year to show what he's got. The coaching staff has given him the continuity he did not have before, he's got viable threats at WR and TE, Gore is still only 27 and whether people want to admit it or not the offensive line actually got progressively better as the season wore on. Still a RT and LG away but in truth Pitts and a rookie can ease that concern.

I am excited for this team, I really am. And I am in the minority when I say this team has the best chance of winning with Smith at QB this season. Whether he seizes his opportunity is entirely up to him. I, for one, think he will.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Is that the guy from the Micheal Oher movie ?

Thanks for reminding me, that movie just came out on blue ray

is that really a movie that needs to be seen on Blu Ray?
Share 49ersWebzone