LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

MM's once a month sucking of Alex

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm telling you guys, its the long lashes and dreamy eyes that have even MM hypnotized!
[URL=http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab65/valrod33/?action=view¤t=10zmxi1.gif][/URL]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Drafted 1st overall, April 2005. And this is the best they have
Originally posted by excelsior:
This post is not intended for most of Alex's supporters, as I think they already comprehend the bigger picture.

. . .

I believe Alex was a better QB than last year's stat suggest, and I think his other supporters have the wisdom to see that.

Comprehend?!! Wisdom?!!

That's hilarious! Well, you supporters have yet to realise what's been evident for some time now.

No matter what AS has been doing over the last five years: Playing, sitting, learning a new playook, watching film, whatever, he's still that same guy he always has been . . . a milk-toast, momma's boy who lacks the mental toughness and confidence to be a successful leader in this league. More excuses have been thrown his way than I care to list.

Guaranteed: At the end of this season, there will be a whole new set of excuses . . . or the same old tired rehashed ones . . . offered up as to why his performance has fallen short again. "But, but, but, [insert excuse here]"
The reason he doesn't mention Warner is because he's RETIRED! He's comparing the starters for this year, and Smith is the best out of all of them.
Originally posted by danimal:

And it was woooorth it! NFL play of the year..

dude got friggin LEVELED!
Wow, a lot of hate in this thread.

I thought Maiocco was reasonable. His thought process was that the 49ers CAN win the division with Alex as the QB. We were competitive for awhile last season, but with the other teams weakening and our supposed improvement due to "continuity," it's reasonable to think that we'll make the playoffs.

That isn't really a save for Alex though. I think the NFC West will be so weak next year that I think David Carr could win it for us too.
Originally posted by tondiman:

sure to anyone who does not understand physics.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by susweel:
I partially blame MM for the fans love affair with Alex Smith. Alex may or may not have a good season, most likely it will be average at best. But it sure does seem like MM goes out of his way at least once month to praise Alex and build up false hope in him.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/why-alex-smith-deserves-yorks-vote-of-confidence.html

Completely agree. Here's a snap shot of the blog entry:

Quote:
Some of you have asked: Why should Smith be handed the quarterback job? What has he done to earn it?

Looking at things objectively, you'd have to ask the question the other way, too. What has he done to lose the job?

Take a look at the statistics for all the current quarterbacks in the NFC West. Smith posted the best numbers of anyone who saw significant playing time in 2009. I'm certainly going to make no predictions on how Smith will fare in 2010, but it seems reasonable to assume that he will continue to get better. After all, he turns 26 in two months. And for the first time in his NFL career, he does not have to spend this offseason learning a new offense.

One would figure Smith's play is on the rise - whereas such NFC West quarterbacks as Matt Hasselbeck and Marc Bulger, who have put together some really good seasons, are on the decline.

Allow me to rip away:

You don't evaluate a QB by saying what has he done to lose the job. This is where you get stuck in mediocrity because he can "manage" games, but not win games outright. The only dominant performance Alex Smith had was against the Raiders about 3 seasons ago.

Alex Smith posted the best numbers in 2009 at the QB position in the NFC West? I am sorry, but what about Kurt f**kING Warner? 93.7 QB rating, and brought his team to the playoffs once again. You gotta love the fact he omitted Warner from his "objective analysis" to help support his entry.

That logic is like saying Jeff Garcia is the best 49ers QB ever...if you ignore Montana, Young, and Brodie.

And comparing Smith to Matt Hasselback and Marc Bulger? A horrible comparison as the two are nearing retirement or towards backup jobs - as well as the difference in development and talent level of the teams.

If the 49ers were okay with the status quo at QB, they wouldn't have signed David Carr and traded away locker room favorite Shaun Hill to the Lions. The York support is posturing by the 49ers for the PR sake of supporting Smith.

Let me be clear: Smith deserves an opportunity to GET the starting gig, but he shouldn't be entitled to it when the team hasn't gone over the .500 mark in his 49er career.

What team is Kurt playing for next year? If you look at the bottom, it is all QB's in the West that will be playing next year. Just saying..

I understand that, but my point is that it's not a fair argument to defend Alex Smith when you take a tactful approach to skew the data in a way.

I don't think it's fair to compare Alex Smith to starters in 2009 in the NFC West if you aren't going also going to include Kurt Warner. A better approach for the analysis would be to compare Alex Smith to young QBs out there on developing and borderline playoff teams. How does he exactly stack up to a Matt Moore or Kyle Orton?

That's my beef with the article, and Maiocco keeps pumping out these blog posts with these analyses that don't explore the situation in a more meaningful way.

Let's include Warner, Smith is now the 2nd best QB in the NFC West.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW!

To bad Warner retired this offseason, so Smith will be #1 when the season starts.

Originally posted by jreff22:

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tondiman:

sure to anyone who does not understand physics.
When Its Alex Smith: ^
If it was Nate Davis: OMG HE OWNED GREG ELLIS WE SHOULD START HIM
Originally posted by jreff22:

another one of these threads i see
  • Antix
  • Veteran
You guys are trippin.

I don't find it in-coincidental that most people who find MM biased towards Smith are people who don't like Smith as our QB. All MM says is that Smith has done nothing to lose the job, which is true (given nobody on our roster is any more proven than him). All he is saying is what we all know, that Smith has to perform this year to keep his job, which is true.. All he is saying is that Smith has done nothing but get better up to this point, which is true.

He didn't predict he'd be a Pro Bowl QB (which he has never predicted btw) and he didn't say anything pro-Smith that was off base. No, but because he is the great, honorable, all knowing Maiocco and he actually says "OK" things about Smith then its perceived as him being all on Smith sack, which is NOT true.
Share 49ersWebzone