There are 258 users in the forums

Hearst breaks ankle on the first play of the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SolRebe1:
It took me a while to stop hating the Falcons. I recall they eliminated a couple of times in the playoffs.

I find them more annoying than anything else They have fans that think the niners care about their existence. I don't recall doing so even when they were in the division.

Niners 18

Falcons 20
I thought the 97 team was better overall.
I remember that like it was yesterday. We would have rolled Atlanta that game had Hearst not broke his ankle.

Minnesota would have been another story though.

Another thing too...that was the year that Norton dove into BY's leg and broke BY's ankle...add BY to that team and Ring 6 for shizzle.
Originally posted by Chief:
Damn...

TO and Steve killed the Packers and Favre with the "Catch 2", we were on fire and ready for another Superbowl, ring number 6. Hearst breaks his ankle and the game versus Atlanta followed that pattern. The following season in week 3 Steve Young was injured and forced to retire and we went 4-12.

One ankle, one play, years of pain.

:(

Garrison was my favorite 9ers of all time and that game/play crushed me... Why do you have to bring it up. All I can see is that play in the 1st half where Terry Kirby recover his own fumble like 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

If it wasn't for Astroturf Garrison may have become a HOF'er and we'd have at least 6 Lombardi trophies for sure. (had he been healthy he may have been in on the play where Philips missed a block and ended Young's career).

NOoo!!!

Not AGAIN!!!!

I remember watching this game when I was 7.
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Why oh way, bring this sad thing up bro??

I can still remember the evening I was sitting in some restaurant eating dinner after my winning round in a handball tourney watching Monday Night football when Steve was hit by Anias(sp)
The playoff game in Atlanta.. STOP IT!

Wasnt that Bryant Young that got hurt on MNF? Steve Young got knocked out during a day game.
Hearst was a warrior. It was a shame with his ankle, but he did make it back and proved he was a gamer. His run on the Jets still brings a smile to my face.
Still heart broken, and I forever loathe The "Dirty Bird!". Hearst showed me his ankle back in '04 and it was still mangled. I can't believe he played after that injury.

Originally posted by bigwads:
I remember that like it was yesterday. We would have rolled Atlanta that game had Hearst not broke his ankle.

Minnesota would have been another story though.

Another thing too...that was the year that Norton dove into BY's leg and broke BY's ankle...add BY to that team and Ring 6 for shizzle.

It wasn't his ankle either. But damn, that year was full of SH!T! I remember seeing that game against the Giants, they had to go to a commercial because the injury was so extreme.
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DieHardNiner82:
Still heart broken, and I forever loathe The "Dirty Bird!". Hearst showed me his ankle back in '04 and it was still mangled. I can't believe he played after that injury.

My favourite RB of any 49ers team and I still wear his jersey. Had all the technique and speed that we represented as a football club. Heart of a fighter also. He was a bit stupid for the gay comment but I suspect he is ashamed of that now.

We were a better team with him than without.

[video]null[/video]
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:
Originally posted by Bali-Niner:
Why oh way, bring this sad thing up bro??

I can still remember the evening I was sitting in some restaurant eating dinner after my winning round in a handball tourney watching Monday Night football when Steve was hit by Anias(sp)
The playoff game in Atlanta.. STOP IT!

Wasnt that Bryant Young that got hurt on MNF? Steve Young got knocked out during a day game.
Steve Young got knocked out on Monday Night Football. Bryant Young did too.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Chief:
Damn...

TO and Steve killed the Packers and Favre with the "Catch 2", we were on fire and ready for another Superbowl, ring number 6. Hearst breaks his ankle and the game versus Atlanta followed that pattern. The following season in week 3 Steve Young was injured and forced to retire and we went 4-12.

One ankle, one play, years of pain.

:(

Garrison was my favorite 9ers of all time and that game/play crushed me... Why do you have to bring it up. All I can see is that play in the 1st half where Terry Kirby recover his own fumble like 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

If it wasn't for Astroturf Garrison may have become a HOF'er and we'd have at least 6 Lombardi trophies for sure. (had he been healthy he may have been in on the play where Philips missed a block and ended Young's career).

Young's career ended cause he wanted it to, not because of that 1 injury. Out of the horses mouth, he used that injury as a way to exit without being the villain. That he knew the Niners were no longer playing for championships every year, that he didn't want to be on another team, and if he couldn't play for championships then he would rather not play at all and took the opportunity to exit stage right.

Believe it. Steve Young's career ended on HIS terms.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think we lost to atlanta 21-18 if i remember correctly, garrison hearst was definatley worth 3 more points, that was the year he had most of the niner single season rushing stats until frank gore came around

no we loss by 2 points
Share 49ersWebzone