LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Hearst breaks ankle on the first play of the game.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think we would have lost to the Vikings or the Broncos. We had Darnell Walker, RW McQuarters, and Antonio Langham as our CBs. They would have been torched by Carter and Moss.

And if we couldn't stop Jamal Anderson and Falcons running game, there's no way we could have stopped Terrell Davis and Mike Shanahan's ground attack.

The 98 team was our last chance as a Super Bowl run
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Denver would have beaten us most likely.
Originally posted by Chief:
Damn...

TO and Steve killed the Packers and Favre with the "Catch 2", we were on fire and ready for another Superbowl, ring number 6. Hearst breaks his ankle and the game versus Atlanta followed that pattern. The following season in week 3 Steve Young was injured and forced to retire and we went 4-12.

One ankle, one play, years of pain.

:(

I remember that BS it didnt help that steve threw 2 picks in the red zone or close in that game.......Damn that was the last time we were actually superbowl contenders though......
Originally posted by Muggins879:
Denver would have beaten us most likely.

doubt it..the niners always rose to the occasion in the superbowl
i agree, we would have beat denver in the sb, the vikings would have been the real challenge, it bugs me the falcons didnt even compete in that sb, the niners or vikes would have put up a bigger fight
first Hearst went down....then our backup, who wasn't that bad, Terry Kirby got hurt too... it was just all bad all around...then that run where Jamal Anderson just made Merton look stupid...

it was alllllll bad
No Hearst No Bryant Young, we already beat Denver, so we were the best team that year, we also would of beat Atl.....hell, we did in the regular season. Hearst and Young do make a lot more than 2 point difference.

That was the story of the niners even in the end of the 80's. Injuries in the playoffs is what prevented us from at least 3 more rings. The year we had i think the #1 D and top offense Young breaks his ribs and we lose in GB with Grbac.

Another season Rice goes down and we beat Denver in week 16 when he came back for a few plays and they won that SB.

Montana gets injured and we don't win another one.

Other teams have injuries but no to THEIR BEST PLAYERS, GB....no, ATL....no, DEN....no we were just very unlucky especially in the 90's.
  • MuggD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
No Hearst No Bryant Young, we already beat Denver, so we were the best team that year, we also would of beat Atl.....hell, we did in the regular season. Hearst and Young do make a lot more than 2 point difference.

That was the story of the niners even in the end of the 80's. Injuries in the playoffs is what prevented us from at least 3 more rings. The year we had i think the #1 D and top offense Young breaks his ribs and we lose in GB with Grbac.

Another season Rice goes down and we beat Denver in week 16 when he came back for a few plays and they won that SB.

Montana gets injured and we don't win another one.

Other teams have injuries but no to THEIR BEST PLAYERS, GB....no, ATL....no, DEN....no we were just very unlucky especially in the 90's.

Didn't Denver play without TD that game?

Just checked. TD played a little. 10 carries.
[ Edited by Muggins879 on Mar 20, 2010 at 12:49 AM ]
i think we played denver in 97, the game rice came back then got hurt agian that wasnt 98
NFL network is having the 1998 49ers review right now. Good ol days, bring back some awesome memmories.

The second that happened, I knew it was over. I just didn't think it meant our annually playoff trips as a whole.
Originally posted by Chief:
Damn...

TO and Steve killed the Packers and Favre with the "Catch 2", we were on fire and ready for another Superbowl, ring number 6. Hearst breaks his ankle and the game versus Atlanta followed that pattern. The following season in week 3 Steve Young was injured and forced to retire and we went 4-12.

One ankle, one play, years of pain.

:(

you know what i remember most about the falcons game ?
it's not hearst injury although it hurted us big but we were still in the game
No two things hurted us more :
1- our inability to stop their running game
2- when trailing 20-10 in the middle of the fourth we were still huddling. We had a good drive but we lost at least one minute by huddling every time. We should have gone no huddle. That minute would have given us enough time after getting the ball back to score a FG. Instead of starting at our 20 (i think) with 30 sec to go it would have been 1:30 to go
I remember i was enraged looking at the huddles, talking to them trough the TV set "huddle fvkers" i had the feeling we were losing a precious time that would cost us and i was right
It was like mcnabb and the eagles at the SB : their scoring drive late in the 4th qtr. Idiots ....
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:

i forgot how bad that was.
Why oh way, bring this sad thing up bro??

I can still remember the evening I was sitting in some restaurant eating dinner after my winning round in a handball tourney watching Monday Night football when Steve was hit by Anias(sp)

The playoff game in Atlanta.. STOP IT!
At least he doesn't want any f****ts in the locker room.
Share 49ersWebzone