There are 272 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Question for you guys, what power does paraag have to think he could be the problem? Isn't he just the money guy? What influence does he have when it comes to drafting players or bringing in FA? Sure, I don't doubt the guy is a snake but how does he affect the talent on this team?

This would by my question too. I keep hearing complaining about Paraag but I've never seen anything concrete where he had anything to do with a decision made about the 49ers.

He represents that untouchable level of FO which includes Jed. The ultimate decision makers for steering the business. That last level of failure that's somehow unaccountable.

In regards to "powers" according to Maiocco, it's paraag and york that are searching / hiring the next GM.
[ Edited by judodono on Jan 2, 2017 at 8:10 AM ]
Remember when Paraag was regarded as a god around here? Like he was the master of cap manipulation or something, a "secret weapon" that set our front office apart?

I always thought that argument was silly. It's not like writing shrewd contracts is a unique skill that our front office possesses. All teams do creative things to mitigate risk and commitment.
Paraag is the architect of the niners. How is he NOT accountable. If Chip Kelly is out after one year because of the team then so should Paraag after 20 years.
Before:

and after:

Paraag blows up the niners and re-creates them in a whole new way!
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Question for you guys, what power does paraag have to think he could be the problem? Isn't he just the money guy? What influence does he have when it comes to drafting players or bringing in FA? Sure, I don't doubt the guy is a snake but how does he affect the talent on this team?

Paraag started with the 49ers heading analytics. His first job was putting together the system that values draft positions. He has gained in power and position since then. He has been a key player in many of the 49ers activities over the years, including putting together a manual for how the 49ers should select a coach, and a manual that the coach should use in making on field decisions. There have been quotes in the past that he has communicated to the coaches on a number of issues during the game including when a challenge should be issued. His participation in draft choices, while not directly described anywhere, would explain some of the more unusual behaviors that the 49ers have displayed over the years, such as drafting specific physical attributes (arm length comes to mind, the drafting of injured players, etc.). Those are all things where a computer would say statistically a team might want to draft for, compared to judgement of football players. People have also wondered why the 49ers have let very productive players leave. That also fits dependence upon statistical models, instead of football judgement.

Also read the articles and the interviews done with Paraag in the past and you can get a good idea of just how involved in 49er decisions.

I suspect that the major fight between Harbaugh and the FO started with a conflict with Paraag, and not Baalke. Several items that were listed as points of tension between the team and Harbaugh involved areas that Paraag headed, including several with the new stadium.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Jan 2, 2017 at 8:51 AM ]
  • NM16
  • Veteran
I hope someone asks jed about paraags role with the team and why he hasn't been held accountable like past 49ers employees, especially this year when there is a rebuild
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NM16:
I hope someone asks jed about paraags role with the team and why he hasn't been held accountable like past 49ers employees, especially this year when there is a rebuild

Very good question?
I have had doubts about paraag, but it wasn't until this FA and especially this draft, that I was certain something was wrong in personnel selections.

First we had Ian coming off major lower leg surgery, and then we had a LB corps decimated by injuries. Bow was playing on a leg that had undergone major league reconstruction , and yet in FA we got nobody at either position. Then we have draft and incredibly, we again fail to get guys for two positions we had nobody to fill in with. The final icing on the cake was when we take CBs in not just Rd 3 , but also in rds 4 and 6. we finish the draft out with no one, not one single guy to fill the positions of NT and LB.

And that was when I realized that Trent wasn't calling the shots , but someone else was. And the only other person that could have been was....yup, paraag. Of course, Bow went on to have another major lower leg surgery, leaving us with ZERO at the LB position. Only someone with no inherent knowledge of football would have left us In that position, but a sharp accountant who didn't come up thru the Football ranks sure could have. The decision to leave us bare at LB and NT, could only have come thru a non-football guy who had no understanding of what he was doing, but who had worked his way up thru the corporate ladder, and then early in 2000, thot he could run the team because he knew the business side of football. But did he know...did he understand football? No...obviously not. Add to that the work that Heroism and rdc1 have done in laying this involvement of paraag out chronologically, and it becomes apparent that we got a guy with the sharp pencils and green eyeshades being the major player in our FAs and in the draft.

And relying on his manual on "how to draft for the 49ers", it is quite obvious that we have a clueless accountant who is calling the shots, and in the last 6-8 yrs, has managed to screw up the personnel so badly.

One look at our total lack of improvement one yr after another since 6-8 yrs ago tells you we have a moron in charge of personnel on this team. No way Trent would have left our LBs and NT uncovered like that. But a know nothing accountant? Yup, he SURE could have done it. And having NO QB capable of running this team, but instead two has beens...that was not Trent. That was a guy who knew how to play Madden...but had no idea about what NFL football was all about.

As paraag goes, so go the 9ers. So as long as paraag remains here, we will not get better until a HC or GM tells him to "Shove it".
Oh so all these long ass posts and no evidence of anything lol. Just a million assumptions. I see NT gonna NT
[ Edited by Dajanksta on Jan 2, 2017 at 9:55 AM ]
Originally posted by TheChozen:

This would by my question too. I keep hearing complaining about Paraag but I've never seen anything concrete where he had anything to do with a decision made about the 49ers.

2005:
In fact, personnel only consumes a quarter of his duties, Marathe said. Most of his time is spent on salary-cap analysis.

Nevertheless, Marathe was asked by York to lead the head-coaching research, and his profile skyrocketed.

Marathe studied 120 coaches to determine where the most successful NFL coaches come from, and what makes them excel once they have the job. Along with other factors, Marathe discovered that coaches who were with successful teams and worked with winning coaches made the best future coach.

2008:
What's Marathe's role in the franchise if Singletary sticks around? Good question. Always a great question. Nobody ever seems to have a credible answer.

I get some people mad when I keep bringing up Marathe. OK, he is a smart, smart guy. But if you want to know the single name that arises most from former 49ers employees–and there are MANY–it's Marathe, because he's considered an untouchable Friend of Jed and meddles in all aspects of the franchise, business and football.

Does Singletary want Marathe meddling in all aspects of the franchise? Does he want him in the coaches' box during games? Is Marathe still the main voice for challenges in there? I don't knpw–you have to say things have been going better in that respect recently.

2015:
Also, 49ers president Paraag Marathe will play a big role in Tomsula's transition to calling the shots from the sideline. Years ago, Marathe devised a game-management guide that includes such information as when to call timeouts while trailing late in a game and whether to kneel or run plays while protecting a lead. Marathe has constantly re-worked his formulas.

He is the everything guy in football operations and he has been for at least 8 years.

I am losing optimism about this process already. If Jed was serious about this rebuild he should have replaced Paraage with an experienced "football guy" to help them with the GM/coach search.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Oh so all these long ass posts and no evidence of anything lol. Just a million assumptions. I see NT gonna NT

Go read the articles that have been referenced earlier in this stream. Go read the interview Paraag did with Stanford. The information has been posted. Cannot help you chose to ignore the information in those articles.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
From interview Paraag will be with Jed in the interviews for coaches and GM.

Still suspect that Paraag is York the elders representative in the FO, even more than being supported by Jed. Paraag's meddling does not seem to be diminishing.

From the way Jed is talking in the interview about the GM hiring the coach or the Coach hiring the GM, he makes it sound like the GM and Coach are peers. So that raises the question about who is really in charge. If the GM and HC are peers, then that only leaves Paraag.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Jan 2, 2017 at 10:27 AM ]
Paraage's analytics led to the decision to not hire a coach that has already won a Superbowl because the odds of them winning another one is too low.

Ultimate facepalm.

Not once did he consider the fact that that coach would bring in stability and a program that can be passed on to a pupil.
[ Edited by Joecool on Jan 2, 2017 at 10:26 AM ]
Fire this clown too!!!
Share 49ersWebzone