There are 171 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Paraag. Baalke.

I think I'm discerning a paattern in here.

Thank you, I'm here all week.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Paraag. Baalke.

I think I'm discerning a paattern in here.

Thank you, I'm here all week.

Our next GM:

• rdc1
  • Veteran
Track Paraag's involvement with the 49ers and their record. A strong correlation emerges.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/WHO-IS-PARAAG-MARATHE-Numbers-added-up-to-2703495.php

Last year the team said that he would be demoted

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14287507/san-francisco-49ers-demote-team-president-paraag-marathe

Yet this year it seems that he is even more involved in football operations

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/18/11054858/49ers-reorganization-trent-baalke-paraag-marathe-football-operations

This interview gives some insight into him and also explains why the 49ers have made some of the decisions that they have

https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/insights/san-francisco-49ers-paraag-marathe-how-launch-career-sports-management

Bottom line is that while Baalke has the title of GM, a lot of the duties that a GM normally has are held by Paraag when it comes to the 49ers.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Anyone that doesn't think this parasite has meddled and destroyed our organization from within either hasn't been a fan very long or has bad memory. Here is a CLASSIC article from 2008.

49ers' GM Can't Honestly Answer Ralph Barbieri's Question
October 24, 2008 at 8:57am
If you are one of the 49er fans who believe in the foul-smelling bull emanating from the three stooges who run the 49ers, I feel sorry for you.

The stooges are: Paraag Marathe, who has no football experience but for his disastrous tenure with the 49ers; Jed York, who has the same cowardly traits as his incompetent father and his reclusive mother; and Scot McCloughan, who talks tough but delivers oatmeal.

Thus, fans are left with their heads spinning, as this non-denial indicates to us that Marathe, a football idiot, is actually influencing the head coach during games on decisions that could decide a game.

Maybe Plummer can now have his queries about questionable calls answered: It's one of the three stooges who is partly responsible for the challenge meltdown on the sideline.

Unbelievable.

Just unbelievable.

Write in Scot McCloughan for president. He's your man.

Hilarious. So really, no matter who's at the helm at GM/HC (Nolan, Scot, Baalke + Nolan, Singletary, Tomsula or Kelly) we're seeing the same exact issues and have the same exact questions on roles b/c the tandem of the Yorks + Paraag have never changed.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Hilarious. So really, no matter who's at the helm at GM/HC (Nolan, Scot, Baalke + Nolan, Singletary, Tomsula or Kelly) we're seeing the same exact issues and have the same exact questions on roles b/c the tandem of the Yorks + Paraag have never changed.

And its all going to continue moving forward after Baalke is gone.

Oh, no question.

Maybe the marriage of Baalke+Harbaugh together will go down in history as the greatest accomplish in NFL history; building a Championship caliber team and sustaining it for three years AROUND the Yorks+Marathe's meddlings.
  • rdc1
  • Veteran
Oh, no question.

Maybe the marriage of Baalke+Harbaugh together will go down in history as the greatest accomplish in NFL history; building a Championship caliber team and sustaining it for three years AROUND the Yorks+Marathe's meddlings.

I suspect that the conflict between the FO and Harbaugh started as a conflict between him and Paraag. Considering how detailed Harbaugh has been in putting together how he runs a team it is not likely that he would be willing to put up with Paraag's directions.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
I'd gain a lot of respect for the Yorks if they fired Paraag, or at least demoted him, FOR REAL this time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Why people hate on Paraag for all he does is crunch numbers for contracts. He dont pick the players.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Why people hate on Paraag for all he does is crunch numbers for contracts. He dont pick the players.

Marathe's reassignment was his choice and he will now be an equity partner in York family ventures, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Marathe still will be involved with team but he is choosing a more lucrative career path.

CSNBayArea.com and the Bay Area News Group earlier reported Marathe's new role.

Marathe, who has been CEO Jed York's right-hand man and instrumental in shaping the front office's thinking on player contracts and football philosophy via analytics, will maintain the title of president through the Super Bowl, according to the media reports, and is "going to be part of the team and businesses that my family runs for a long time," York texted to the Bay Area News Group.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/14287507/san-francisco-49ers-demote-team-president-paraag-marathe

• rdc1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Marathe's reassignment was his choice and he will now be an equity partner in York family ventures, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Marathe still will be involved with team but he is choosing a more lucrative career path.

CSNBayArea.com and the Bay Area News Group earlier reported Marathe's new role.

Marathe, who has been CEO Jed York's right-hand man and instrumental in shaping the front office's thinking on player contracts and football philosophy via analytics, will maintain the title of president through the Super Bowl, according to the media reports, and is "going to be part of the team and businesses that my family runs for a long time," York texted to the Bay Area News Group.

You need to add the story from this year

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/2/18/11054858/49ers-reorganization-trent-baalke-paraag-marathe-football-operations

Marathe will remain as the team's chief contract negotiator, and continue managing the salary cap. The press release notably says he will be "working alongside Trent [Baalke] and Chip [Kelly] within all football operations." There is no reference to Tom Gamble, although I have actually heard he will have a more formalized title in football operations by the time the spring rolls around. He is currently a "senior personnel executive."

It is interesting to note that Jed York says Marathe does still report directly to him. Al Guido is team president, but it is exclusively in the realm of football. York is the CEO, and has said his role is to find the best football people and give them the resources they need.

On the team side, he will continue to report directly to me and have a significant role in major strategic decisions for the club as Chief Strategy Officer. Paraag will continue to serve in his long-respected role as the team's chief contract negotiator, working alongside Trent and Chip within all football operations.

Note the WITHIN ALL FOOTBALL OPERATIONS, not just limited to the contract portion of football operations.
[ Edited by rdc1 on Dec 23, 2016 at 12:43 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:

He obviously does a lot more than crunch numbers. Why the hell was he in the booth with Baalke last Sunday?

For those of you that missed it, I posted this on the last page. This is an article from 2008 highlighting ambiguous role in the football operations. If anything, his power and influence has grown exponentially since then:

49ers' GM Can't Honestly Answer Ralph Barbieri's Question
October 24, 2008 at 8:57am
If you are one of the 49er fans who believe in the foul-smelling bull emanating from the three stooges who run the 49ers, I feel sorry for you.

The stooges are: Paraag Marathe, who has no football experience but for his disastrous tenure with the 49ers; Jed York, who has the same cowardly traits as his incompetent father and his reclusive mother; and Scot McCloughan, who talks tough but delivers oatmeal.

On KNBR the other day, Ralph Barbieri just wouldn't let McCloughan off the hook.

For his part, McCloughan was defensive, juvenile, and evasive.

Let's take a look:

"What is Paraag Marathe's responsibility?" Barbieri asked.

"Paraag Marathe takes care of all the salary-cap negotiations. He controls the salary cap. All the contracts that are signed are all through Paraag," McCloughan said.

Oh, okay. That explains sack-monster Justin Smith, doesn't it?

Wise move, Marathe. Take an underachiever and see the disaster we get as fans?

Does that explain Nate Clements?

Now, some 49er fans disagree with me and say Clements is a good player.

I disagree, since sub-par 49er receivers were beating him in his first $80 million training camp, according to Gary Plummer, who said so that season on a broadcast.

However, regardless of whether you think he is good or not, he was not worth $80 million.

Some genius, that Marathe.

He also played a key role in hiring Nolan. It had something to do with statistical analysis.

That's why numbers guys should stick to numbers.

Here's where McCloughan is obviously covering up a dirty 49er secret.

Barbieri's question was simple and direct: "What is Paraag doing in the booth with coaches during challenges?"

A stumbling, bumbling McCloughan had trouble spitting out his words: "Paraag is in there doing statistical information from the offense, the defense, and special teams. He's got a full understanding of the rulebook. If Mike had any questions, Mike would shoot a question and bounce it off of him."

Huh?

You mean there aren't guys who've actually worn jockstraps who don't know the rulebook?

I guess every team should be so fortunate to have the catastrophe that is Marathe.

Perhaps that is why Plummer has questioned the stupid challenges Nolan has made and the relevant challenges that weren't made.

It's because of Marathe.

More from Barbieri:

"If Nolan happened to have his headset on and was ready to get some information for a challenge, who would be the voice telling him what the people think?"

"It would be the coordinator," McCloughan lamely answered.

Uh, does he have a name?

"Greg Manusky," McCloughan said.

"So, Manusky is the guy in all the challenges. Paraag and the other coaches up there discuss this, and then it's Manusky who always talks to Nolan?"

Now, here's where McCloughan redefines what is, is.

"It's a group of coaches that watch[es] the replays in the box, it's a group of coaches on the sideline that watch[es] replay[s] on the screen, and it's Mike's final say. He'll be told one way or the other what the vote is."

Uh, hey, Scot, I didn't know Marathe was on the same level as a coach.

How did this NFL know-nothing get to the status of being in the booth?

Barbieri, who was obviously trying to pin down McCloughan, continued to question McCloughan, who totally contradicted himself from his statement of two minutes prior.

Here's Barbieri:

"Just not to belabor a point, but since there has been so much talked about these challenges, is Manusky always the guy who is talking to Nolan?"

A further refinement of is, is, was made by McCloughan.

He should run for president.

"No. It could be [stopped mid-sentence]. There's coaches in the booth, there's coaches on the sideline," McCloughan pathetically stammered. "One thing about Coach Nolan, he liked input, and not just from one person; he liked to hear input on what people thought."

Therein is one of this franchise's problems, 49er fans. We need a coach, not a diplomat.

"Wouldn't it make a lot more sense, if they got a consensus and then the same person always talked to Nolan about what the consensus was?" Barbieri asked.

"That's the head coach's decision, not the general manager's," McCloughan said.

Oh, sure, the terrible twosome of Jed York and Marathe really gave Nolan that freedom?

Hey, Scot, delusions aren't part of your job description, are they?

"And it's not impossible that it could be Paraag talking to him?" asked Barbieri, finally getting to his real point after skillfully proving to fans how evasive McCloughan and the Yorkville Circus have become and why they don't like real reporters.

"It wasn't Paraag talking to him, I know that," McCloughan said.

"Ever?" Barbieri asked.

"If he had a question about the rules, if he had a question about a possible challenge, is this a challengeable call, then he might ask for some information from Paraag," McCloughan said.

Sorry, Scot, but you are being duplicitous.

First you say that Manusky is the one who talked to Nolan.

Then you evade Barbieri by saying there are coaches on the sideline and in the box.

Then Barbieri asks you a direct question, so let me rephrase it for you: Has Marathe ever talked to Nolan on a headset during a game, anytime, anywhere?

You didn't answer that, Scot, proving you are as incompetent and evasive as the Yorkville Family Circus.

Did they adopt you?

Thus, it ends with an even-more evasive McCloughan, saying that Nolan might ask for information from Marathe, but the question of Marathe-to-Nolan headset communication was never answered by this public-relations disaster.

Thus, fans are left with their heads spinning, as this non-denial indicates to us that Marathe, a football idiot, is actually influencing the head coach during games on decisions that could decide a game.

Maybe Plummer can now have his queries about questionable calls answered: It's one of the three stooges who is partly responsible for the challenge meltdown on the sideline.

Unbelievable.

Just unbelievable.

Write in Scot McCloughan for president. He's your man.
You can a piss on the street in india and you will splash guys who are better then him with numbers.

We need a football guy.
I heard this dude makes a mean lamb curry. Maybe Jed likes the cooking?

I agree... the issue is ownership plain and simple. Look at the history of the New England Patriots and not only what Robert Kraft went through to purchase the team from awful owners but also how that ownership change altered the path of that Franchise almost immediately.
Share 49ersWebzone