There are 257 users in the forums

Paraag Marathe Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hitman49:
Paraag is strictly a numbers guy. And it doesn't sit right with me that this guy and Jed are making the "football" decisions. These two need to put egos aside and hire someone who is qualified as president of football operations. This is the only way to turning this turd around.

100% agree. All Jed had to do was hire a Mike Holmgren-like President of Football Operations, introduce him and stand back. Find someone who has sat in on, contributed to or lead NFL steering committees, who's well respected, is salient figure, is well connected within NFL circles, etc.

Let him create the new culture, hire the GM and HC and define clear roles for everyone (including Paraag) and then provide oversight.

Nope. Not how Jed and his mole of a BFF operate.
Originally posted by crabman82:
His incorrect answer is right after what u bolded. Hes basically making the assumption that leaks are only about hc/gm firings.

And the issue is that this team was leaking stuff even when they were "winning" with Harbaugh. Its part of the culture of the entire organization and culture starts at the very top and it doesn't get any higher than Jed and Marathe.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by crabman82:
His incorrect answer is right after what u bolded. Hes basically making the assumption that leaks are only about hc/gm firings.

And the issue is that this team was leaking stuff even when they were "winning" with Harbaugh. Its part of the culture of the entire organization and culture starts at the very top and it doesn't get any higher than Jed and Marathe.

Well good thing jeds committed to re-establishing a winning culture
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:10 AM ]
Has the genius contract writing helped our roster or hindered it?

Was it all Baalkes fault for the lack of quality players from FA or is the contract conditions by Paraag creating a red flag to potential players?
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
I don't really understand all the hate for this guy, when all he does is contracts. He let Kaepernick void his contract which is brilliant, otherwise we would have been stuck with this bum for even longer.

There is no proof that he does leaks, or has any meddling with the coaching staff. Only unsubstantiated rumors and fan lashing because they probably want a scapegoat after losing so many games.

Anyone want to prove me wrong with real proof? And no, I'm not a corporate shill working for the 49ers front office. Just legitimately curious.
Lol wut???

"He is the club's chief contract negotiator and salary cap architect, and also runs the team's football analytics efforts. He is responsible for the 49ers compliance with the NFL's collective bargaining agreement and works closely with general manager Trent Baalke on all aspects of the club's football operations, including the draft."

"Marathe active game involvement is something that has been discussed in a limited manner, but has picked up a bit of steam more recently. Play calling and other football decisions – normally reserved the coaching staff – was a point of escalating tension under Nolan, Singletary and finally Jim Harbaugh's coaching tenure. Marathe – an analytics guru and numbers cruncher – often presented mid-game suggestions for Harbaugh to go for it on fourth down, or go for two instead of kicking an extra point. At certain points, Marathe was even given a chair in the coaches booth and put in charge of replays and determining whether or not to suggest challenging questionable calls."

"Marathe's active game day role underscores one of the primary criticisms leveled at Jed York: that he and his fellow suits in the owners suite meddle too much with football decisions, and that has contributed to one of the most stunning collapses of a successful sports franchise"

"Marathe was originally hired to figure out how much each position was worth, how much to pay them under the salary cap, and when to draft them. The 49ers went to the Boston-based consulting firm Bain & Company and asked them to develop an algorithm. Marathe worked for the firm at the time as a business guru, specifically focused on branding and naming rights. Marathe, however, was "on the beach", i.e., not currently assigned to a project, when the 49ers came calling, according to a source at Bain. He was a young, promising consultant who was available at the time that the 49ers reached out. Marathe quickly won over 49ers owners. This was not a football hire, rather a temporary financial consulting job to help the 49ers accumulate information. Marathe quickly emerged as a strong advocate within the organization for the team to rely more on statistical analytics in calling plays."

This was last year and he has since been moved to a different position but then why do we still see him up in the coaches booth on GameDay? I doubt much has changed apart from his title
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by KeepRabbitsOut:

Was it all Baalkes fault for the lack of quality players from FA or is the contract conditions by Paraag creating a red flag to potential players?

THIS.

At the end of the day - however toxic the culture was - the roster talent is s**t and that's because of personnel decisions. If someone can tell me that Paraag told Baalke that Ian Williams was a reliable starter despite being on IR, then he gets all me hate.

Paraag is the President of Football Operations. Our team has sucked way more than it hasn't and that goes on Paraag. Jed was asked about firing himself but he's the owner. Next guy down is Paraag but for some reason, he doesn't seem to hold any accountability. It is all the coaches and GM's fault but we all know a team can't have this many issues without something being wrong in the front office. Owner won't leave so the next guy down isn't operating things as they should.

This is a big issue and concern I have. The contracts have helped us go from a team right up against the cap to $100M in space; granted, it helps when you go from the 26th oldest to 6th youngest in one off season. But this also sends off red flags.

Early in this thread, there is a quote from Paraag that it's all about finding the best player at the cheapest price (paraphrasing).

Baalke reports UP to Paraag. Paraag sets the spending limits, values, directions, etc. in conjunction with Baalke on free agency.

The fact that Baalke was going into a year where he desperately needed to save his job and bring in as much talent as possible to supplement such a young roster badly in need of veterans, and only walked away with Zane Beadles sent up another red flag for me.

Who is really holding the cards here? The EVP or the GM?

We're about to find out with the new GM this year...
He's either laying the pipe to Denise or jed. That's the only explanation for how long he's lasted.
Like him or not, I'm pretty sure Paraag is the guy people go to with questions. I don't think he's the one pulling strings.
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
I don't really understand all the hate for this guy, when all he does is contracts. He let Kaepernick void his contract which is brilliant, otherwise we would have been stuck with this bum for even longer.

There is no proof that he does leaks, or has any meddling with the coaching staff. Only unsubstantiated rumors and fan lashing because they probably want a scapegoat after losing so many games.

Anyone want to prove me wrong with real proof? And no, I'm not a corporate shill working for the 49ers front office. Just legitimately curious.
Lol wut???

"He is the club's chief contract negotiator and salary cap architect, and also runs the team's football analytics efforts. He is responsible for the 49ers compliance with the NFL's collective bargaining agreement and works closely with general manager Trent Baalke on all aspects of the club's football operations, including the draft."

"Marathe active game involvement is something that has been discussed in a limited manner, but has picked up a bit of steam more recently. Play calling and other football decisions – normally reserved the coaching staff – was a point of escalating tension under Nolan, Singletary and finally Jim Harbaugh's coaching tenure. Marathe – an analytics guru and numbers cruncher – often presented mid-game suggestions for Harbaugh to go for it on fourth down, or go for two instead of kicking an extra point. At certain points, Marathe was even given a chair in the coaches booth and put in charge of replays and determining whether or not to suggest challenging questionable calls."

"Marathe's active game day role underscores one of the primary criticisms leveled at Jed York: that he and his fellow suits in the owners suite meddle too much with football decisions, and that has contributed to one of the most stunning collapses of a successful sports franchise"

"Marathe was originally hired to figure out how much each position was worth, how much to pay them under the salary cap, and when to draft them. The 49ers went to the Boston-based consulting firm Bain & Company and asked them to develop an algorithm. Marathe worked for the firm at the time as a business guru, specifically focused on branding and naming rights. Marathe, however, was "on the beach", i.e., not currently assigned to a project, when the 49ers came calling, according to a source at Bain. He was a young, promising consultant who was available at the time that the 49ers reached out. Marathe quickly won over 49ers owners. This was not a football hire, rather a temporary financial consulting job to help the 49ers accumulate information. Marathe quickly emerged as a strong advocate within the organization for the team to rely more on statistical analytics in calling plays."

This was last year and he has since been moved to a different position but then why do we still see him up in the coaches booth on GameDay? I doubt much has changed apart from his title

Ok everything quoted above causes me to rethink my brief benefit of the doubt I'd just exhorted on the prior page. Bits and pieces of here-say have been confirmed.
The Niners record since his coming on board, and his interjection into football matters is more than concerning. Considering facts.

Maybe after 15 consecutive losing seasons they will eventually figure out the problem is Jed and Paraag.

When it comes to Paraag's football philosophy it is not about getting the best player but getting the best available player at the right price(according to an interview he did about 10 years ago)...safe to say Ballke drafted this way and attacked the FA market this way and it has not worked...So I do believe Paraag is a huge hinder...His approach in building a roster doesn't work...
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is a big issue and concern I have. The contracts have helped us go from a team right up against the cap to $100M in space; granted, it helps when you go from the 26th oldest to 6th youngest in one off season. But this also sends off red flags.

Early in this thread, there is a quote from Paraag that it's all about finding the best player at the cheapest price (paraphrasing).

Baalke reports UP to Paraag. Paraag sets the spending limits, values, directions, etc. in conjunction with Baalke on free agency.

The fact that Baalke was going into a year where he desperately needed to save his job and bring in as much talent as possible to supplement such a young roster badly in need of veterans, and only walked away with Zane Beadles sent up another red flag for me.

Okay where was this stated. I don't remember seeing this at all anywhere in news reports.

Jed just confirmed at his most recent presser the GM reports up to Paraag.

Edit: I'll try to find that for you.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 4, 2017 at 11:38 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think a new banner is being prepped as we speak........sadly. I hope they spell Paraag correctly. But the real joke is on Jed for allowing the organisation to be run this way.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

Question:

Given the business of reporting via a source just what kind of proof would suffice for you?

Well I'm not fan of Paraag, but there's certainly been a lot more heat, issues and gripes about Baalke versus Paraag. I'm just sayin. Paraag hasn't been called out on Twitter IIRC. Sure he and Jed are completely unqualified to make any football decisions, but let's not act like the dumpster fire that's this roster is 80% over the past 2 season and 95% over this past season, Baalke's doing.
Oh, don't misunderstand me. I am in no way dismissing Baalke and this god-awful roster, and now the stuff coming out about him undermining coaches. My question was simply on leaks and Paraag doing things beyond numbers crunching. If he's (was) making football decisions and in on football meetings I can see how that would be a source of organizational dysfunction, especially with coaches with strong personalities like JH. If we as fans know this I can just imagine what the perspective coaches and GM's know, and what they are gonna ask in the interviews behind it. I know if I were being interviewed I'd have some very direct questions about leaks and of Paraag's role. And if it were even hinted that his role included him being anywhere near my meetings with players and coaches or have anything to say about coaching decisions I wouldn't take this job.
Share 49ersWebzone