LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

GM McCloughan (possibly) stepping down????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Drinking problem???
Drug problem???
Whore house addiction???

list goes on, and on, and on......

Good luck to whatever demon you need to exercise, Scotty...

Originally posted by midrdan:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by luis1985:
indefinitely = fired IMO.

I've had co-workers take an indefinite leave of absence for cancer treatment ...

If that were true, the Niners would have made a statement...

Or let him prepare a statement when he's ready ... I dunno what the situation is, all I'm saying is there are other possibilities out there other than they fired him.

No, nope, nuh uh, the only possibility is that Jed is incompetent, and waited until a month before the draft before firing Scot. He will most likely make Singletary our GM.

No matter the cause, the front office is to blame, and they should ALL be cleared out.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

I've had co-workers take an indefinite leave of absence for cancer treatment ...

"Indefinite Leave Of Absence" is usually a way of avoiding making a statement about something best kept private... family problems, illness, rehab.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by socal81:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Adam_Schefter: With McCloughan sidelined, 49ers will lean heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble.

So not buying this whole personal issues thing. Dude is fired

If the 49ers had planned on firing him why not do it immediately after the season? Waiting til 5 weeks before the draft after combine workouts and a number of pro-day workouts are already done?

The front office or whatever continues to amaze me in it's suckiness

He's not being fired..

-9fA

Yeah, that's what I understood from it also. Looks like McCloughan is going to be visiting Dr. Drew or something like that

Fired or demoted same s**t. Basically you will never see him as Niner GM again. Mark my words.

I haven't read anything about him being demoted either. Where are you reading this?

-9fA

He's not reading it anywhere, he's jumping to ridiculous conclusions.

I will bet you any amount of money he will never be the niner GM again.

That doesn't matter. You're saying "dude is fired" when you really don't know s**t.

Why don't you wait until you hear the whole story before overreacting.
Originally posted by kidash:
Drinking problem???
Drug problem???
Whore house addiction???

maybe he's been drinking whore house drugs.

Or let him prepare a statement when he's ready ... I dunno what the situation is, all I'm saying is there are other possibilities out there other than they fired him.

No, nope, nuh uh, the only possibility is that Jed is incompetent, and waited until a month before the draft before firing Scot. He will most likely make Singletary our GM.

No matter the cause, the front office is to blame, and they should ALL be cleared out.

Well, that's certainly one option. Although everything I hear about Jed is that he's not incompetent. He's young and inexperienced, yes. But not stupid.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Drinking problem???
Drug problem???
Whore house addiction???

If you ask me, that sounds like a party! Not a problem...

Well, that's certainly one option. Although everything I hear about Jed is that he's not incompetent. He's young and inexperienced, yes. But not stupid.

looks like your sarcasm meter is broken
If its a personal issue, then the 49ers need to just come out and say it. Like I said before, the fan base will be more understanding if Scot is having personal issues (he doesn't need to answer questions but the 49ers should acknowledge and leave it at that). Just say he's going through something personal and no more information will be provided. That will be enough for me.

I may be in the minority but I hope he stays on as GM.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
If its a personal issue, then the 49ers need to just come out and say it. Like I said before, the fan base will be more understanding if Scot is having personal issues (he doesn't need to answer questions but the 49ers should acknowledge and leave it at that). Just say he's going through something personal and no more information will be provided. That will be enough for me.

I may be in the minority but I hope he stays on as GM.

The sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for next month's draft in which it is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5006987

Originally posted by HessianDud:
Drinking problem???
Drug problem???
Whore house addiction???

If you ask me, that sounds like a party! Not a problem...

Scot McCloughan will be taking an Indefinite Leave of Partying!

His new title is: Vice President of Partying Down!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
Updated: March 18, 2010, 4:57 PM ET
Sources: 49ers give GM leave of absence
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

With just over a month before a draft in which they are scheduled to have two first-round picks, the San Francisco 49ers are giving general manager Scot McCloughan an extended leave of absence, multiple league sources said Thursday.

The sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for next month's draft in which it is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks.

One league source said San Francisco knows the direction it is going and it has a plan to move forward.

With McCloughan away indefinitely, the 49ers will lean more heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble, who are widely respected in NFL circles. Team president Jed York will not, as some have speculated, take on a larger role of responsibility. McCloughan's brother, Dave, is the 49ers director of college scouting.

The league source said that the reason speculation is swirling while answers are not flowing is that the 49ers are trying to be as respectful as possible of the process and McCloughan, who has roughly two years remaining on his contract. 49ers officials did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Adam Schefter is an NFL reporter for ESPN Insider.

This article leans towards the fact that McCloughan's departure is more personal related than anything else.

1) the fact that if the niners organization felt that McCloughan had a different philosophy, then they would just say it or fire him. Not have him resign.

2) The fact that McCloughan's brother is still on board indicates to me that Scot has some personal issues to deal with.

Being fans/outsiders of the situation, we can all speculate on why McCloughan is leaving (i.e. power issues or conflicts of interest with sing..blah blah blah).

Agreed and Baalke is McCloughan guy and he's being given more duties. If you're going to fire Scott for differences in philosophy why give his recruit authority in the wake of all this?

This sounds like either illness, rehab or something domestic (family member with illness or going through rehab). "Concentrate on personal issues indefinitely" just screams rehab for me. No, Scott isn't being fired. However, let's hope those taking his place will have more acumen in personnel matters. Issue #1: Pitts. Issue #1A: Sims. We need to find out the status of both immediately and become a bit more aggressive.

I just hope Scott doesn't become "GM from home" type of thing. Either the 49ers need to let Baalke become the full GM while Scott is on leave or they need to hire a replacement. Indefinitely doesn't sound like it's going to be fast. It's quite possible Scott has been preparing for this and Schefter says "the club has been bracing for days" which means they did have some warning.

Well, people wondered why Sing was out looking at kids on his own. Knowing this could happen its smart to have as many people as possible out in the field checking out the kids.
Drinking problem???
Drug problem???
Whore house addiction???

Hmmm, maybe I too should take an extended leave of absence from my job... gonna go talk to my boss!
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Not being sarcastic ... I'm a fan of this team and the team hasn't won s#!t since the Yorks took over so I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a clean slate. But I'm not convinced that Jed is incompetent. Besides, if he is incompetent then whoever he hired as a new GM would likely suck as well. So I'm being hopeful that this wasn't a deliberate decision by the front office.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

Not being sarcastic ... I'm a fan of this team and the team hasn't won s#!t since the Yorks took over so I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a clean slate. But I'm not convinced that Jed is incompetent. Besides, if he is incompetent then whoever he hired as a new GM would likely suck as well. So I'm being hopeful that this wasn't a deliberate decision by the front office.

lol
Share 49ersWebzone