LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

GM McCloughan (possibly) stepping down????

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by sincalniner:
Adam_Schefter: With McCloughan sidelined, 49ers will lean heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble.

So not buying this whole personal issues thing. Dude is fired

If the 49ers had planned on firing him why not do it immediately after the season? Waiting til 5 weeks before the draft after combine workouts and a number of pro-day workouts are already done?

The front office or whatever continues to amaze me in it's suckiness

He's not being fired..

-9fA

Yeah, that's what I understood from it also. Looks like McCloughan is going to be visiting Dr. Drew or something like that
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Now WTF are we supposed to do? What type of respectable GM is going to come here with only 5 weeks of game planning. Such idiots...

No GM is going to come in outside of the organization. It's obvious what our team needs are, and I trust our front office and Jed York to get it done.

You honestly think we are going to blow our draft picks away because we don't know what the f**k we are doing?

I sure as hell don't. What reason is there to believe they can do anything right? They've never produced a winning product and now this 5 freaking weeks before the draft. Scott wasn't the best, but compared to who else was GM this last decade, I'd gladly choose him whoever the front office has in mind. No one respectable will dare want to step anywhere near here, and I have zero expectations for the draft at this point.
  • DJD
  • Veteran
This came on suddenly, something the team didn't expect or plan on, this much we can deduct from all that has happened.

If they planned to fire him they would have done so back in January when they could have secured any of the number of top flight prospects on the market.

If they even had planned it for this week then John would not have had to of changed his flight plans last minute to get out here.

This is a personal private bombshell it seems. My advise is have all the fun you want with it but for real folks don't hate on anyone in all of this.
[ Edited by DJD on Mar 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
Updated: March 18, 2010, 4:57 PM ET
Sources: 49ers give GM leave of absence
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

With just over a month before a draft in which they are scheduled to have two first-round picks, the San Francisco 49ers are giving general manager Scot McCloughan an extended leave of absence, multiple league sources said Thursday.

The sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for next month's draft in which it is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks.

One league source said San Francisco knows the direction it is going and it has a plan to move forward.

With McCloughan away indefinitely, the 49ers will lean more heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble, who are widely respected in NFL circles. Team president Jed York will not, as some have speculated, take on a larger role of responsibility. McCloughan's brother, Dave, is the 49ers director of college scouting.

The league source said that the reason speculation is swirling while answers are not flowing is that the 49ers are trying to be as respectful as possible of the process and McCloughan, who has roughly two years remaining on his contract. 49ers officials did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Adam Schefter is an NFL reporter for ESPN Insider.

This makes much more sense than "cutting ties" with him.

I'd rather this be the case right now.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Originally posted by saniner:
Leave of absence? ...ok. Eventually we'll know what happened

Mark my words: They are working out a settlement and he cannot be gone until then.

It's a good PR strategy. You sweep the story under the rug when there's breaking news to avoid attention. McCloughan and the 49ers are done.

The Niners (and KNBR) will not say anything until they are out of the litigation realm.
Originally posted by DJD:
This came on suddenly, something the team didn't expect or plan on, this much we can deduct from all that has happened.

If they planned to fire him they would have done so back in January when they could have secured any of the number of top flight prospects on the market.

If they even had planned it for this week then John would not have had to of changed his flight plans last minute to get out here.

This is a personal private bombshell it seems. My advise is have all the fun you want with it but for real folks don't hate on anyone in all of this.

adam schefter reported that the club knew about this for a couple of days
Why would they fire him 5 weeks before the team's biggest draft since 2005?

Makes no sense - then again it is the 49ers. But I fully believe that this has to do with personal matters. Doesn't make me any less confused about it or annoyed at the timing of this stuff.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by socal81:
Adam_Schefter: With McCloughan sidelined, 49ers will lean heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble.

If the 49ers had planned on firing him why not do it immediately after the season? Waiting til 5 weeks before the draft after combine workouts and a number of pro-day workouts are already done?

He's not being fired..

-9fA

Yeah, that's what I understood from it also. Looks like McCloughan is going to be visiting Dr. Drew or something like that

Fired or demoted same s**t. Basically you will never see him as Niner GM again. Mark my words.
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Why would they fire him 5 weeks before the team's biggest draft since 2005?

Makes no sense - then again it is the 49ers. But I fully believe that this has to do with personal matters. Doesn't make me any less confused about it or annoyed at the timing of this stuff.

he is not being fired, he is taking leave to deal with personal matters
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by DJD:

adam schefter reported that the club knew about this for a couple of days

My source with the 49ers said to look for some "news" yesterday, but it never came (other than the Willis surgery) so it looks like they were anticipating this at least as of yesterday morning.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
Updated: March 18, 2010, 4:57 PM ET
Sources: 49ers give GM leave of absence
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

With just over a month before a draft in which they are scheduled to have two first-round picks, the San Francisco 49ers are giving general manager Scot McCloughan an extended leave of absence, multiple league sources said Thursday.

The sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for next month's draft in which it is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks.

One league source said San Francisco knows the direction it is going and it has a plan to move forward.

With McCloughan away indefinitely, the 49ers will lean more heavily on director of player personnel Trent Baalke and director of pro personnel Tom Gamble, who are widely respected in NFL circles. Team president Jed York will not, as some have speculated, take on a larger role of responsibility. McCloughan's brother, Dave, is the 49ers director of college scouting.

The league source said that the reason speculation is swirling while answers are not flowing is that the 49ers are trying to be as respectful as possible of the process and McCloughan, who has roughly two years remaining on his contract. 49ers officials did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Adam Schefter is an NFL reporter for ESPN Insider.

This makes much more sense than "cutting ties" with him.

I'd rather this be the case right now.

Yeah, I agree I'd like for Scott to stay at this point.

He's not being fired..

-9fA

Fired or demoted same s**t. Basically you will never see him as Niner GM again. Mark my words.

I haven't read anything about him being demoted either. Where are you reading this?

-9fA

He's not being fired..

-9fA

Your words don't mean s**t.
Flash -- at the beginning of the week McCloughan told Yorks he is just not going to draft any midgets like Spiller, or waste top picks on the OL when there are so many good, cheap, injured free agent linemen available.
i wish the niners would at least release a statement or something.
Share 49ersWebzone