LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Willis wins Butkus Award

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Thizz415:
I wish I could be happy, but the more awards he gets the harder it's going to be to sign him...........Good for him though.

He deserves to get paid though. He has earned it and has not once complained about his contract and because of that and being the best LB in the business he should get paid.

I agree 100 percent. I just hope he wants to get paid by us. The guy is going to be in serious demand. What's he gonna do when guys like Jerry Jones dangle a big check and Super Bowl dreams in front of his face?

I can see him leaving because of the lack of activity from the FO. He's going to get paid wherever he goes but he wants a ring too and that won't happen here at this pace.
He should be the highest paid player on defense in the NFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I wish I could be happy, but the more awards he gets the harder it's going to be to sign him...........Good for him though.

He's the face of the franchise. Kinda wierd having a MLB as the frontman for a NFL team, usually a QB, RB, WR, ect.

That said, whatever ridiculous contract he gets would be an investment in the team's future. It's good business.

Willis is the nucleus of our D. Letting him go is not an option.

And if the Cowboys try to steal him away, there will be murders.

`You actually bring up a good point and one I've being thinking about for a while now. How much is the MLB position actually worth? I know that Willis is probably the best at his position and when it's all said and done may be one of the best ever, but is his impact on the team significant enough to sign him to a contract that will make it difficult to sign other good players? After all, football is the ultimate team sport. I'm not saying he is or isn't, I really don't know.

He's the face of the franchise. Kinda wierd having a MLB as the frontman for a NFL team, usually a QB, RB, WR, ect.

That said, whatever ridiculous contract he gets would be an investment in the team's future. It's good business.

`You actually bring up a good point and one I've being thinking about for a while now. How much is the MLB position actually worth? I know that Willis is probably the best at his position and when it's all said and done may be one of the best ever, but is his impact on the team significant enough to sign him to a contract that will make it difficult to sign other good players? After all, football is the ultimate team sport. I'm not saying he is or isn't, I really don't know.

So your saying we should consider trading Babe Ruth to the Yankees?
Butt kiss.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

He deserves to get paid though. He has earned it and has not once complained about his contract and because of that and being the best LB in the business he should get paid.

I agree 100 percent. I just hope he wants to get paid by us. The guy is going to be in serious demand. What's he gonna do when guys like Jerry Jones dangle a big check and Super Bowl dreams in front of his face?

I can see him leaving because of the lack of activity from the FO. He's going to get paid wherever he goes but he wants a ring too and that won't happen here at this pace.

You project your opinions onto him.
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

He is not going anywhere.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Hot dayum, this s**t has got me all fired up to watch him play.......somebody put some Willis highlight vids up....I need a fix.
f**k him, he drives a dallas cowboy colored car

The only reason we don't sign him is if he doesn't wanna play for us, we broke the bank for Clements and he wasn't even the top at his position. The front office will no doubt make an offer that makes him the top paid defensive player in the NFL... I'm just hoping young team + iron mike + things appearing to go the right direction is enough to make him want to sign it.

----one more thing: I believe Willis is not the typical greedy douchebag NFL player. I'm sure he has a sense of loyalty to his coach, teammates, and the team that drafted him. The 49ers would have to lowball the s**t out of him for him to want to bail.

IMO

C'mon now don't be naive b/c he's on your favorite team He wants to get paid just like everybody else.
  • RedAndGOLDson49
  • Info N/A
Congrats P Willy!!! What makes this even sweeter is he beat out Cowboys OLB DeMarcus Ware haha. Willis deserves every penny coming to him. There is no way the Niners let him walk and he is obviously a loyal teammate and knows this team is going places. Not even our front office can f*** this one up. He will get the money he deserves and continue playing in the beautiful bay area.

[ Edited by RedAndGOLDson49 on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:13 AM ]

You guys forget Ray Lewis? Or Brian Urlacher? Seems to me they been the face of their franchises for a very long time. I know there are more but those were the two that really stand out.

Oh an almost forgot...

Great job Bam Bam.

~Ceadder
a friend of mine said it best "this isnt news. whats news is when willis DOESNT win an award." hahahaha

man, that guys insane. every year he seems to get dozens of awards. its like he could retire right now and be on the first ballot for the hall of fame. hahaha.

willis is revolutionizing what it means to be a linebacker.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

You guys forget Ray Lewis? Or Brian Urlacher? Seems to me they been the face of their franchises for a very long time. I know there are more but those were the two that really stand out.

Oh an almost forgot...

Great job Bam Bam.

~Ceadder

Actually I did forget Urlacher. Ray I consider special because he is such a moral booster. Urlacher I dont know enough about his leadership skills to comment, but those are very good points.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 17, 2010 at 9:58 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone