Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
The question isn't whether he gets real game reps, 'cause that's doubtful. It's whether he gets ANY reps of consequence in practices, camps and preseason. Last year, it was reported he wasn't getting any QB time in practices. That doesn't make for very effective development at the position. Offensively, Sing and Raye have raised many questions as to whether they really know what they're doing. I wonder if the same questions should be raised re their preparation and development of this young, promising prospect (regardless of who the QB coach is, the buck stops at Singletary).

The thing is, the McCloughan era 49ers, just look for existential, tangible qualities in a quarterback. They seem blind to the "non-tangible" qualities, "it-factor", "feel" etc.
Hill was brought in because of a Norv Turner suggestion. Hill has a feel for the game, but lacks the tangible qualities (arm, height etc).
The 49ers draft Nate Davis because he had the production (tangible), AND he has the physical tangible qualities as well.

What the 49ers may not realize, is that Nate Davis also has that "it" factor, he has that intangible "feel" for the game. Some people are simply blind to things like this. It doesn't matter that it is their job as scouts etc.
For example, some musicians, like a violinist, play their instrument perfectly "correct". They hit every note at the right time, but they lack imagination and feel. It is subtle, but it is there. Some can hear the difference, some cannot.

I think this organization "understands" football, but they seem to lack imagination. I am beginning to think that it was just blind luck that landed Nate Davis here. Seeing as that he was drafted in the 5th round, it probably was.
We can only hope that there is someone in that building who recognizes the raw talent Nate Davis has (and I'm not just talking about arm strength or accuracy).

You're right on and I think many of the posters on this subject lack that imagination too. It's not that he's ready now, it's that he has the potential, with a little experience, to be better than anyone we've had in quite a while. At least IMHO.