LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 434 users in the forums

Will Nate Davis get any regular season Reps?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Will Nate Davis get any regular season Reps?

Originally posted by lamontb:
So Nate Davis has a buzz around the NFL? What

this
[ Edited by blacksailsmd on Mar 17, 2010 at 7:59 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
He doesn't need to get on the field this year, he just needs to get the playbook down and next year he can challenge for the starter's job.
The sad truth is that Nate won't get many reps of worth, which is unfortunate because I think he has some serious potential. I can only hope the team has a strategy for developing him and not just for waiting a few years with him as #3 and then letting him get snatched by a smarter team in FA. If the Niners were serious about seeing what this kid has, they would jump start his development now with a rigorous off-season program of film study and coaching BEFORE training camp begins. If he is serious about becoming a starting QB in this league he wouldn't pass up the opportunity, so why not?
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
The sad truth is that Nate won't get many reps of worth, which is unfortunate because I think he has some serious potential. I can only hope the team has a strategy for developing him and not just for waiting a few years with him as #3 and then letting him get snatched by a smarter team in FA. If the Niners were serious about seeing what this kid has, they would jump start his development now with a rigorous off-season program of film study and coaching BEFORE training camp begins. If he is serious about becoming a starting QB in this league he wouldn't pass up the opportunity, so why not?

I think training with Mcnabb will help him out a lot. I wonder why Alex never trained with anyone.

If I were a struggling QB, I would have called up peyton manning, or drew brees that first offseason.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:

I think training with Mcnabb will help him out a lot. I wonder why Alex never trained with anyone.

If I were a struggling QB, I would have called up peyton manning, or drew brees that first offseason.

Alex called Tony Romo but he was busy with Carrie and Jessica
Originally posted by excelsior:
Those who think highly of Davis should be troubled by the signing of Carr. Unless we are missing something, Carr was brougth in to be #2 (or #1) then he will stand in the way of Davis' chances. If Smith falters, Carr is more likely the one to be sent in, not Davis.

Carr is 30 years old and signed a 2 year contract. Smith is only signed for this year. Davis could easily move to #2 by next year.

There is nothing to be troubled about a QB that was known to be an NFL "project" coming out of college probably not getting a shot at starting at 22 years old.
Best thing for Nate is to sit out next year as well, if Alex fails in 2010 he won´t be here in 2011 so Davis might have a chance that year. Lets give Davis alot of playing time in the pre-season this year. About the 3rd stringers he played against last year, i really don´t care about that. The kid looked relaxed and instinctive
Since they will never have a big enough lead to put in the 3rd string QB I hope he doesn't get any regular season snaps. As that would mean both Smith and Carr either are hurt or suck really bad.

NO he will not get any reps.

/thread.
If Smith & Carr are both out with injuries, and the emergency signing quarterback who will probably be the next starter then also gets hurt...then maybe he will see real game reps.

Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
No need to rush him...he will be our next great QB in 2 years

Since Nate does not even really practice as a QB and the 49ers signed Carr . I do not look for him to be our next great QB .
link please?
The question isn't whether he gets real game reps, 'cause that's doubtful. It's whether he gets ANY reps of consequence in practices, camps and preseason. Last year, it was reported he wasn't getting any QB time in practices. That doesn't make for very effective development at the position. Offensively, Sing and Raye have raised many questions as to whether they really know what they're doing. I wonder if the same questions should be raised re their preparation and development of this young, promising prospect (regardless of who the QB coach is, the buck stops at Singletary).
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
The question isn't whether he gets real game reps, 'cause that's doubtful. It's whether he gets ANY reps of consequence in practices, camps and preseason. Last year, it was reported he wasn't getting any QB time in practices. That doesn't make for very effective development at the position. Offensively, Sing and Raye have raised many questions as to whether they really know what they're doing. I wonder if the same questions should be raised re their preparation and development of this young, promising prospect (regardless of who the QB coach is, the buck stops at Singletary).

The thing is, the McCloughan era 49ers, just look for existential, tangible qualities in a quarterback. They seem blind to the "non-tangible" qualities, "it-factor", "feel" etc.
Hill was brought in because of a Norv Turner suggestion. Hill has a feel for the game, but lacks the tangible qualities (arm, height etc).
The 49ers draft Nate Davis because he had the production (tangible), AND he has the physical tangible qualities as well.

What the 49ers may not realize, is that Nate Davis also has that "it" factor, he has that intangible "feel" for the game. Some people are simply blind to things like this. It doesn't matter that it is their job as scouts etc.
For example, some musicians, like a violinist, play their instrument perfectly "correct". They hit every note at the right time, but they lack imagination and feel. It is subtle, but it is there. Some can hear the difference, some cannot.

I think this organization "understands" football, but they seem to lack imagination. I am beginning to think that it was just blind luck that landed Nate Davis here. Seeing as that he was drafted in the 5th round, it probably was.
We can only hope that there is someone in that building who recognizes the raw talent Nate Davis has (and I'm not just talking about arm strength or accuracy).
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k him

that's what i'm saying f**k HIS DUMB ASS!@
Share 49ersWebzone