LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Bringing on Nate Davis slowy is the correct thing to do...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
where is all this nate davis confidence coming from? i want to see him against 1st string players before i start proclaiming him to be the next great 49ers qb...

The same place that Cody Pickett is the next Steve Young after going 1 for 1 vs TB in 2005 came from.

Quote:
The vociferous crowd that occupied about half the Monster Park seats starting yelling, "Cody, Cody, Cody" once it spotted Pickett running into the huddle. The home fans might revive the chant Sunday with Pickett the likely starter against the Giants.

lol
where is all this nate davis confidence coming from? i want to see him against 1st string players before i start proclaiming him to be the next great 49ers qb...

The same place that Cody Pickett is the next Steve Young after going 1 for 1 vs TB in 2005 came from.

Just wait til Carr lights it up in a pre season game and Smith throws a couple int's. This place is gonna explode.
Originally posted by zozell:
I've been looking at a lot of posts regarding the signing of Carr, the departure of Hill and just the QB situation in general (Lord knows there’s a ton and I’m not really helping with this one hehe). A lot of people are saying that this move is going to hinder the development of Nate Davis. Some thought Nate should have been given the opportunity to compete for the #2 position this year.

I'm here to say that I think that we're doing everything exactly the way we need to do for Nate's progression and development. Look at it this way, if we didn't trade Shaun and sign Carr, it would still have been Smith, Hill, Davis. He would have still been the #3 regardless, so no difference there.

We also gotta keep in mind that this is not only Smith’s first time to be in the same offensive scheme for the 2nd straight year, but it’s Nate’s too, which is something we can’t say has been the case for ANY qb on our roster in the past I don’t know how many years.

We now have 3 QB's that can get the ball down the field, in an offense that can cater to exactly that. I think it's a great idea to bring him on slowly. He can definitely benefit from being behind both Smith and Carr, both of whom I am skeptical of being long term answers for the team though I hope I'm wrong. And again, being able to learn the same offensive system for two off-seasons in a row is going to be huge for his development.

Here is what I see for the future of Nate. He will be a 3rd stringer this year, next year he will earn the backup spot, and he will be the starting QB in the 2012 campaign. I see Singletary and McCloughan not wanting to make the same mistake they made with Smith. I think that's why they brought in Carr, they knew he was better than Hill and are hoping that he may be a surprise, but I don't think they are counting on neither Smith nor Carr. I think the majority of their eggs are in Nate's basket, though they won't admit it.

They are bringing him along just fine; nurturing him, not throwing him into the fire like they did with Alex and it will prove to be the best thing they could do for the kid. He will shock the league in 2 seasons... and we will look back at both Smith and Carr as a temporary quick fix, or band aids.

My only fear is this; I just hope he doesn't get swooped up by another team... because he's not a well kept secret any more. When TKO was on NFL Network, Rich Eisen was asking him about Nate, and he was talking him up, and at the same time, I’m sure his performance as the best rookie QB in the pre-season last year has gotten him some buzz around the league. Hell McNabb noticed it. We gotta do everything we can to keep this kid on our roster, because he will start eventually and he will be GOOD!

You raise a very valid point but peyton manning and others have said that there is no substitute for getting game reps...something about the speed of the game being soo different
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
I am an Alex supporter, and I want to see him succeed and all that s**t. If he fails this year, I'm done with him.

That said, I saw Nate throw a 35 yard out pass on a rope to the sideline with perfect accuracy and that's something I've never seen from Alex. Ever. Preseason or not, doesn't matter. I've seen Nate thread the needle, preseason or not, doesn't matter.

I believe the kid can be special. The 49ers need to do right by him, bring him along slowly, and methodically.

with supporters like you, alex doesnt need enemies

so you are saying you have never saw alex thread the needle---you obviously dont watch many games...didnt see the 4th and 1 pass vs jags put right over vernon davis shoulder and into his hands...the touch pass to crabtree in same game, that he dropped....the pass down the sideline to morgan for td vs the seahawks...best pass i can recall a niners qb making in a long time was the one smith hit bryant with at end of game vs cards in 2006...bryant down the sideline, right in his hands and just out of eric greens hands...say alex is inconsistent, but he has made some great individual plays too

by the way im a nate davis supporter, but he sucks...cody pickett made some nice throws in preseason too (bomb to woods vs chargers)

reading comprehension fail

Nowhere does it say that I've never seen Alex thread the needle. What I did say was that I've never seen Alex throw a laserbeam 35 yards to the sideline with perfect accuracy. I'm not talking about bombs or touch passes. That throw would take arm strength that Alex simply doesn't have. If you do not agree, that's fine, I don't really care, but maybe it is you who doesn't watch many games.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Mar 16, 2010 at 4:12 PM ]

Quote:
The vociferous crowd that occupied about half the Monster Park seats starting yelling, "Cody, Cody, Cody" once it spotted Pickett running into the huddle. The home fans might revive the chant Sunday with Pickett the likely starter against the Giants.

lol

It's also the same people who insisted that Ken Dorsey was the next Montana.

As for the question, there's not a shred of evidence to suggest that we're "bringing Davis along slowly," as this implies that he'll ever even play in a regular season game for us. Signing a back-up qb doesn't mean we're "bringing him along slowly" it means we don't have enough faith in him to play quarterback if our quarterback gets injured.
I'm not saying Davis is a great QB now, or that he'll ever be one, but all you guys denigrating his efforts in the preseason because he was playing against "pizza boys" don't get it. Don't forget he was also throwing to pizza boys and being protected by landscape workers. The bottom line is, he was making throws under pressure, on the run and in stressful conditions. Didn't matter if they were caused by 3rd stringers. Pointis, he still made the throws and mostly good decisions, considering his inexperience, and looked better doing it than the guys playing in front of him. Yes, he should be brought along wisely, but that also means getting him some reps at his actual position, and not receiver or water boy. Spoon feed him experience, but feed him nonetheless!
Alex needs to take some steriods for his "Bad Shoulder" and get those noodles looking like guns
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Quote:

lol

It's also the same people who insisted that Ken Dorsey was the next Montana.

As for the question, there's not a shred of evidence to suggest that we're "bringing Davis along slowly," as this implies that he'll ever even play in a regular season game for us. Signing a back-up qb doesn't mean we're "bringing him along slowly" it means we don't have enough faith in him to play quarterback if our quarterback gets injured.

Exactly. Good luck to the kid and I'll be happy if he turns out to be more than a backup, but as of now he's a project and nothing more.
Share 49ersWebzone