LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

2011 and beyond.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just wanted to get the pulse of the Zone on this. Say Alex flames out and Jimmy Raye continues to show that the game has passed him by; Is there anyway that Coach Sing keeps his job next year, or would they all be shipped out?
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I just wanted to get the pulse of the Zone on this. Say Alex flames out and Jimmy Raye continues to show that the game has passed him by; Is there anyway that Coach Sing keeps his job next year, or would they all be shipped out?

lets wait till this offseason and season gets over before we talk about next offseason
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

lets wait till this offseason and season gets over before we talk about next offseason

Ok. I was just thinking since there isn't much going on right now.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Ok. I was just thinking since there isn't much going on right now.

lol not a problem this is a really boring offseason i just like to think positively rather than negativity

Everyone at 49er HQ should feel 2010 is make or break.

Jed York has shown with Nolan he isn't quick to fire the Head Coach. Right now it is up to people in the organization to get Nate Davis ready to compete to start, if need be, in his 3rd or 4th season in the NFL, that being: 2011 or 2012.

If Raye continues to struggle, hasn't the plan been the whole time, to groom QBs coach Mike Johnson as the aire apparent for the OC job????? Whether Raye struggles or retires in a few years the organization plans to promote from within (hopefully Johnson) to keep the continuity in the offense.
[ Edited by global_nomad on Mar 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM ]

Nope, unless the 49ers completely collapse (like, 4-12 collapse) and Singletary's gameday calls are a major reason.

Raye is the one on the hotseat really. He'd go before Singletary. Otherwise, I think Singletary is safe.
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Nope, unless the 49ers completely collapse (like, 4-12 collapse) and Singletary's gameday calls are a major reason.

Raye is the one on the hotseat really. He'd go before Singletary. Otherwise, I think Singletary is safe.

Raye is Singletary's guy. If Raye fails Singletary has to wear it.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by NickSh49:

Raye is Singletary's guy. If Raye fails Singletary has to wear it.

Mike Johnson is also a Singletary guy. If Raye is fired Singletary will promote him, and get a second chance, even with the continuity of the same play book.
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Jed York has shown with Nolan he isn't quick to fire the Head Coach. Right now it is up to people in the organization to get Nate Davis ready to compete to start, if need be, in his 3rd or 4th season in the NFL, that being: 2011 or 2012.

If Raye continues to struggle, hasn't the plan been the whole time, to groom QBs coach Mike Johnson as the aire apparent for the OC job????? Whether Raye struggles or retires in a few years the organization plans to promote from within (hopefully Johnson) to keep the continuity in the offense.

Jed York wasnt the president the entire time Nolan was coaching.

And remember the last time we promoted our QB coach to OC?

• flow
  • Veteran

[ Edited by Crazy4Niners on Mar 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM ]
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

Originally posted by NinerFan408:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Jed York wasnt the president the entire time Nolan was coaching.

And remember the last time we promoted our QB coach to OC?

Jed York was the president after the 2007 season, when Nolan convinced him it was the offense, not the HC that was the problem. They hired Martz, and Nolan only lasted half the season.

Yes, I understand promoting from within is a scary thought. But continuity is a proven success in the NFL, you just have to find the right mix. Even Maiocco has said Johnson's study of the spread offense would lead towards more aggressive play calling if/when he gets the chance to be our coordinator.
Looks like > 50% probablility of an owner-lockout in 2011. That means a high likelihood of no 2011 season at all, or a truncated, less than 16-game season.

The truncated season thing has happened before during the Bill Walsh era. It was a messed-up NFL season, where the Niners did not do well.

McCloughan's job is still to acquire talent, but I sense a change in his FA strategy. He never before had much interest in FA's over the age of 28. This year, due to the expiration of the CBA, most all of the younger players are RFA's, which are undesirable due to draft pick compensation required.

So, Scotty is looking at FA in the 30-32 age group this year, who can be readily jettisoned (reducing the club's expense) if there is a lock-out. Look for Paraag to keep the contract terms short, so that club ownership can minimize cost during a lock-out.

A lock-out would mess with OTA's, as well as TC, not just the season itself. Already, for he 2010 season, we see tendered RFA's sitting on their tender (not signing), which means they won't be at OTA's or TC, until they do sign.

Niner fans would do well to pay attention to the NFL labor situation, although nothing of substance is likely to happen until about March 1, 2011, almost a year away. Just recognize that the club's front office is positioning itself right now for that likely lock-out.

All FA activity (and inactivity) needs to be viewed in this potential lock-out context.

And don't believe that sanity will prevail, because both ownership and labor stand to lose too much in a work stoppage. Ownership passionately wants fundamental change in their labor expense situation and labor cannot afford to look like they caved-in to ownership.

I don't want to see a work stoppage (and the associated loss or reduction of the 2011 season), but it's looking more and more inevitable.

So, a good question might be, "If you don't believe that your club can win it all in 2010, what is the best strategy to win in 2012 (not 2011)"?
[ Edited by jimbagg on Mar 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone