LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

VD has Smith's back

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
What can he do in one offseason of work that he hasn't seen, heard of, or already tried to do the past 5 years that would jump him from mediocre to one of the best in the league?

... And no, I'm not ripping on Alex. It is a valid question.

Going from where he is to one of the best is kind of a reach, I agree. And yes, that's a valid question, and you seem a little skeptical. As one of Alex's biggest supporters since day 1, I am too. But you ask that question as if you haven't followed the last 5 seasons. The biggest things being the amount of talent on the team has vastly improved over the last 5 years and this is Alex's first time with 1 offense in consecutive seasons. Not to mention he's healthy. I think he has a lot going for him this coming season. That's why 2010 is do or die for him in San Fran.
[ Edited by GBNinerFan on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:53 PM ]
Originally posted by 9eridiot:
Originally posted by boomer49er:
I don't know why we are assuming that Manning is the best QB in the league....or why we are assuming that he ever was. You can't say that he doesn't need a supporting cast when his entire career he's been surrounded by some of the top wideouts, RBs, and the top offensive lines in the game. How often do you see his guys drop a ball? How many times did Marvin Harrison pull down a ball that shouldn't have been caught? Have you ever seen a game where his line breaks down a bit and some pressure gets to him? He's a statue and when the pressure is there he doesn't look nearly as good.

Sure he's a talented player, but let's not get caught up in the hype. If he were forced to learn a new system and have a new top target every year......well things wouldn't be so great for him.

What are the arguements that make him better than Brady, Brees, Favre, ect?

The primary difference I see between Payton and Alex is that Payton aggressively reads defenses and tries to react to what they're doing, while the reverse seems to be true with Alex - he doesn't seem to read defenses and they react to him instead (i.e. read his eyes).

As a case in point: Payton's last interception in the Super Bowl was an anomaly and not the norm.

You say it is an anomaly, but I have been watching Manning play since his freshman year in college, and the only knock on him was throwing picks in the big games, he does it, that is why he has only one Superbowl ring.
Of course he think A Smith will be one of the best QB's in the NFL next year, but he should have qualified that statment to mean he'll be the one of the best QB's in the league at throwing the ball down the middle to the TE. That's the only throw I've seen A Smith excell at. He can't throw the out passes or deep balls, doesn't lead his recievers and lacks touch on the short throws. Let's pray for the resurection of David Carr!
for another Smith thread
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by KB94605NINERS:
What can he do in one offseason of work that he hasn't seen, heard of, or already tried to do the past 5 years that would jump him from mediocre to one of the best in the league?

Not having to learn a new system by having the same offence for two off seasons in a row for the first time in his pro career is something different. Do know how much he'll improve by having that though???

I will pose the same question to you:
I agree that having the same system and same OC should help. If anything, his mind can be on how to improve or fine-tune the plays, rather than learn a new system.

But how much weight can you put on that and how much has to do with instincts, physical ability, pocket presence, etc? For example... Do you think Payton Manning, the best NFL QB right now, would go from being the best to top 15 if he were to go to a different system and new OC this year?? I highly doubt it.

Lol Peyton Manning doesnt need a OC, he basically is the OC, he calls the plays, he calls the audibles, its basically all him it probably wont affect him at all if their OC leaves.

Wrong, Take Tom Moore away and watch the colts O sink to the middle of the pack. Moore almost left lastyear and manning basically threw a s**t fit in the offseason....

Give manning a new OC every year and he would be very avg at best.
I hope VD is right. That's a bold statement. From one of the bottom QBs in the NFL to one of the best??? hmmmmm
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by 49ers18:
VD tweeted that he thinks that Smith is going to be one of the best QBs in the league next year.....im not sure if that will happen or not (I REALLY hope it does) but i think Smith will be much improved next year.....what does everyone think about this? Is VD just hyping him up or is there validity to his comments?

Quote:
Alex smith is going to become 1 of the best qb's in the NFL this year. Excited about this year can't wait.
Link

Haha now he is ripping on women coaching football

Of course he will as long as Smith keeps getting VD to the ProBowl. Once the ball stops coming to VD, he will jump off the Smith Wagon.

I don't think VD is like TO.

If he knows the offense cold, he'll probably make better and quicker reads. Also, if he can put in some quality time with Crabtree and build some timing and chemistry, that will make him look a lot better too. He'll have a QB rating solidly in the 90s and will be in the top 1/3 in the league at QB, IMO. Time will tell if he can deliver clutch performances and leadership in tight battles. I'm less confident on the latter than I am of him evolving into a "top" QB statistically. But I've been all in on Smith for quite a while, so I'm rooting for him. Go Niners! Improve that line! Get a quick change of pace back!
I agree with VD. If anyone is willing to sit back and do the math as if Alex played all 16 games, his stats in most of the categories would be in the better half amongst the qb's in the league.
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
for another Smith thread

well many many people have been saying Alex will be a stand out quarterback this year and I surely hope so. I think it is definitely possible I just dont want people to be overexcited thinking since its a new season, that Smith will magically become a Peyton Manning or someone similar. I have faith in him for sure and I think he will get better I just dont want people to think that hes gonna take us to the superbowl in a second....

- note: other people have been saying that playoffs are a start, and I do agree, so lets get there first. We just have to make sure everyone on the team is focused and knows what is going on so that we dont get called for stupid sh** during any game.

One last thing would be that Brett Favre incident. Not normal and I think thats a once a decade type of thing. Lets just make sure we don't even get in that situation.
Share 49ersWebzone