There are 167 users in the forums

Can our team win the NFC West with our current Offense?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by northstar:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Offense led by Alex Smith = NO

why not... it's not like we have tried to do a spread offense based on him... and the style of play that was recommended for him and he was used to. When we did the spread with him it worked out pretty well...imagine with a better line.... except Raye would call all the predictable crap till we got behind and bring out the Spread in the last half...

And thats exactly why we'll never win with Alex Smith. Everything has to be perfect for HIM. He needs the right personnel, the right coaching, the right playbook, the right gametime situations, etc. Quarterback are supposed to adapt to their environment.

We're just too accustomed to making excuses for him. He can screw up miserably this year, and we'll still find someone/something else to blame (Raye, dropped passes, bad receivers, bad line, bad officiating, etc.).

Same s**t different day........

why not... it's not like we have tried to do a spread offense based on him... and the style of play that was recommended for him and he was used to. When we did the spread with him it worked out pretty well...imagine with a better line.... except Raye would call all the predictable crap till we got behind and bring out the Spread in the last half...

And thats exactly why we'll never win with Alex Smith. Everything has to be perfect for HIM. He needs the right personnel, the right coaching, the right playbook, the right gametime situations, etc. Quarterback are supposed to adapt to their environment.

We're just too accustomed to making excuses for him. He can screw up miserably this year, and we'll still find someone/something else to blame (Raye, dropped passes, bad receivers, bad line, bad officiating, etc.).

Good to see the same things never change...

Good to see you, ZRF80...

I think one thing is that the play calling often held the offense back. They would get all conservative with a small lead. f**k that, unless you're up by 21 in the beginning of the 4th, keep being aggressive!
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by kidash:

Good to see the same things never change...

Good to see you, ZRF80...

You too, kid. Just trying to keep things alive in Ninertalk; you know my style....
Originally posted by cupcheck:
IF by what you mean by offense is philosophy and playing to A.Smith's strengths for the first time, yes. Increase his comfort level by using the shotgun, and use Crabtree And VD to their potential,will help reduce the run stuffing defenses and run blitzes, so F.Gore has more lanes to run in. Even with the injuries to the OL last yr. we played the division tuff.

we only lost 1 game in the division. Had 2 fluke plays not happened and were 10 wins last season. Fix the ability to run like sing wants and this team could be very good. otherwise same ol team.

And as far as blaming other things/people for his performance... I don't know where you were this last year but it was obvious the OL and the play calling hindered him.... cause when he actually got a good play called or time to throw the ball he did something.

I'm pretty sure it's an often occurrence to play to your QB's strengths. And as far as judging Smith's play under center more... the terible Olines...terrible OC...the switching of the OC... I say you can't fairly judge how he would do.

He's the starter this year... and he is good in the spread... why would you not want him to play this style?

And with saying people blame raye and OL.. I don't know where you were but the OL and Raye were a big problem and it was obvious. When he actually got a good play call and time to throw stuff happened.... I'm not saying he's going to turn into a Drew brees or Manning with a good line and better play calling... but I think you can't put it all on his shoulders, coaching/OL had a lot to do with the bad performance on offense last year no matter if you like it or not.
[ Edited by northstar on Mar 12, 2010 at 10:35 PM ]
Am I the only one that feels bad that we were just told that we are going to be contenders because of the Cardinals not being a 10 or 11 game winning team?

Oh well, at least I am not a Cardinal fan hearing about how even the Seachickens are going to have a better record than us, lol.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I think one thing is that the play calling often held the offense back. They would get all conservative with a small lead. f**k that, unless you're up by 21 in the beginning of the 4th, keep being aggressive!

Sometimes we are too quick to judge players and sometimes forget to hold coaches accountable as well......That shieet is what bugs me the most from last year. It wasn't A. Smith batted down pass at the line or the receiver's lack of yards after the catch or defense failing to come up big when they really needed a stop......it's the start running the clock off because we are up 1 point in the beginning of 4th quater that makes me just wanna
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
YA!! That's got 'a change."Kick butt and keep kick'en till the clock stops tick'en!"
hopefully Dixon can learn what it takes to be a #2 RB soon.

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
depends if A.Smith's balls drop this off season or not.

Alex will be replaced by the 3rd game of the season, Carr will take over
Originally posted by fly15:

if that happens we'll be lucky to win the division

[ Edited by defenderDX on Aug 15, 2010 at 13:51:33 ]
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

if that happens we'll be lucky to win the division

and if not?????????????????????????????????????????????
Share 49ersWebzone