LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

I propose a question for you all

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's say in 2010 that Alex Smith falls flat on his face (i hope he doesn't) and Sing decides to give Carr a chance. And lets also say that Carr then goes on to play extremely well and lead us to the playoffs. He, for once, looks like a franchise qb. This now makes the decision of letting Alex walk after the season easy peazy.

Does/would the signing of Carr give Scot and Co. a reprieve/do-over from drafting Alex?

And to add more to the hypothetical fire, what if Alex goes to a new team and he too develops into a franchise qb?

What would your opinions be of our management (Scot and Co.)?

I can easily see this situation happening in part and in whole.
Wow, a lot of hypotheticals. All I hope for is success for the 49ers overall, regardless of who's under center.
All we can do is evaluate what we've seen to this point.
Management, just like Alex, have to perform this year or their tenure in SF may (should) expire. For Alex this means leading the team to the playoffs with considerable improvement in his performance and consistency.

For management, this simply means getting to the playoffs by any means necessary. If that path is through David Carr, so be it. The season will have been a success for everyone except Alex.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
Management, just like Alex, have to perform this year or their tenure in SF may (should) expire. For Alex this means leading the team to the playoffs with considerable improvement in his performance and consistency.

For management, this simply means getting to the playoffs by any means necessary. If that path is through David Carr, so be it. The season will have been a success for everyone except Alex.

Originally posted by FourNine49:
Wow, a lot of hypotheticals. All I hope for is success for the 49ers overall, regardless of who's under center.
If Alex fails this year, then we're done with Alex. It bears not upon Scotty Mac. He drafted Nate Davis for that reason.

Besides, Nolan AND Scotty drafted Alex.
Just gotta let their play do their talking.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
A GM should not be held liable for 1 failed early round draft pick - Alex Smith wasn't even his pick. That being said, if the 49ers do make the playoffs under Carr, why make a personal or front office change? If we made the playoffs, then obviously something is working.
Originally posted by GEEK:
A GM should not be held liable for 1 failed early round draft pick - Alex Smith wasn't even his pick. That being said, if the 49ers do make the playoffs under Carr, why make a personal or front office change? If we made the playoffs, then obviously something is working.

Yea, I pretty much feel like if we do well one way or the other, the FO only deserves credit, not blame.

do you like mudkips ?
i got a good proposition too...

ok, so lets say Alex Smith falls flat on his face. (i hope it doesnt happen). and David Carr comes in. then CARR falls flat on HIS face. lets say in this scenario Nate Davis is on IR. now, David Baas reveals to coach Sing that he played a little QB back in HS, and did quite well.

IF David Baas had to be the emergency QB, and he came in and led us to the playoffs, would the fanbase still hate Baas for sucking balls at G even though he was drafted top 40? would he get a new contract?

just some things to think about.
Boobies
alex will not relinquish starting position in a contract year he wont be great but he will be good enough to keep carr on the bench or at least i hope he can keep carr on the bench to go from joe montana steve young jeff garcia to this qb compitition between 2 #1 overall qb who have not lived up to the hype to say the least for our sake at 26 yrs old alex still can be the qb of the future carr is a bust with texans hopefully he can be a decent back up to alex but im not convinced we should throw hill away his numbers are better than both alex and david carr and he just has a knack for winning games i doubt david carr will play well enough to beat nate davis out for the #2 spot
I like turtles.
Share 49ersWebzone