LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 278 users in the forums

Are we doing enough in FA? Poll Only

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we doing enough in FA? Poll Only

First of all let me state that I know there is a possiblity that we can do something after the draft.

However, I'm very disappointed with the way things are going. So far for the off season we are at a net loss, losing Pasho. Everyone else is trying to improve in our division while we sit on our ass. This is a classic case of lowering ourselves to the level of our competion. Do you really thinK we would be sitting still if we where in any other division? Thats the problem. It seems like we aren't trying to win it all, but rather just compete, get in the playoffs in a weak divison and keep the fan base quiet.

No RB back up, no new line, no saftey play, no anything. LET ME GUESS, WE ARE GOING TO GET ALL OF THAT THROUGH THE DRAFT.....

Now we have no GM and are considering not bring one in, just like Jerry Jones. The problem, Jed is no Jerry.

f**k THIS!

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 24, 2010 at 19:57:18 ]
This is a strange year. The free agent pool has been severely restricted by the failure to pass a new collective bargaining agreement, so what free agents that do exist command higher price tags via restricted supply in a market with unchanged demand.

Moreover, there is a very substantial chance that there will be no football in 2011, and if there is, it will be a completely different salary paradigm. The complex nature of NFL contracts, especially their often back-loaded structure, suggests that caution in this off season is the prudent course. What makes sense in 2010 may be a disaster in 2011.

Worst of all, the Niners are facing an extremely expensive 2011-12. We're all familiar
with the franchise-defining names that are due contracts in the next two years. Yes, there can be no doubt that we need help on the O-line, but in this unstable environment there is a strong case to be made that the best thing that the Niners can do is to husband the money necessary to keep the team together under the next collective bargaining agreement.

If I were in the Niners front office, I would be exploring the trade route. We have a number of young promising players at redundant positions. Other teams have already comprehended this anomaly. We should too.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
This is a strange year. The free agent pool has been severely restricted by the failure to pass a new collective bargaining agreement, so what free agents that do exist command higher price tags via restricted supply in a market with unchanged demand.

Moreover, there is a very substantial chance that there will be no football in 2011, and if there is, it will be a completely different salary paradigm. The complex nature of NFL contracts, especially their often back-loaded structure, suggests that caution in this off season is the prudent course. What makes sense in 2010 may be a disaster in 2011.

Worst of all, the Niners are facing an extremely expensive 2011-12. We're all familiar
with the franchise-defining names that are due contracts in the next two years.
Yes, there can be no doubt that we need help on the O-line, but in this unstable environment there is a strong case to be made that the best thing that the Niners can do is to husband the money necessary to keep the team together under the next collective bargaining agreement.

If I were in the Niners front office, I would be exploring the trade route. We have a number of young promising players at redundant positions. Other teams have already comprehended this anomaly. We should too.

So is your argument that we wont be able to sign anyone worthy of note for the next two years and beyond because we have to sign Willis, Davis and Goldson? I mean do you really expect that after signing these guys we'll have NO CAP MONEY left?

How expesive would a back up proven RB be? Someone got J.Thomas for 5 million over 2 years. How much would a guy like Parker demand? Look at how much we resigned Sims for. How much more would Pitts be over Sims? 2million? Will that break the bank?

Finally, TO knows he wont get a long drawn out contract, why not throw a two year deal at him? This year is uncapped and when we sign "Our guys" for next year he will only have one year left and we can structure around it.

Point is I'm not buying this BS anymore.
It's going to be raining free agents once we get a collective bargaining agreement in place. Both the owners and the players want that, so it will happen.

What's the best that could happen in 2010? We make the playoffs? Woopie.

The 2011 or '12 season will be ushered in by a free-spending orgy of player movement. We want to have the biggest possible war chest imaginable for that fiasco. The Willis and Davis contracts are huge liabilities in that free for all, and the last thing that we want is to be hamstrung by free agent contracts signed in the dying days of this era in football.

Unless you already have a good team, 2010 is not your year to compete. If you're not a Super Bowl contender, you'd better start looking at 2012.

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Mar 25, 2010 at 05:11:31 ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
It's going to be raining free agents once we get a collective bargaining agreement in place. Both the owners and the players want that, so it will happen.

What's the best that could happen in 2010? We make the playoffs? Woopie.

The 2011 or '12 season will be ushered in by a free-spending orgy of player movement. We want to have the biggest possible war chest imaginable for that fiasco. The Willis and Davis contracts are huge liabilities in that free for all, and the last thing that we want is to be hamstrung by free agent contracts signed in the dying days of this era in football.

Unless you already have a good team, 2010 is not your year to compete. If you're not a Super Bowl contender, you'd better start looking at 2012.

Well I'm not sure where your from, but around these parts making the playoffs would be a pretty big "WOOPIE" in my opinion.

I wonder how the Yorks would feel if the fan base told them they wouldn't renew their season tickets until 2012 because thats when the 49ers will really start competing.

The reality is unless we make the playoffs this year and the next we will have a very, very, very difficult time signing guys like Willis and Davis. Those guys are winners ( most Willis). They want Championships, not just a pay check. Plenty of other teams could offer both.

Finally, you seem to know alot about the CBA. Are you an insider? What makes you think that once it's a FA free for all we will even be in contention for the best guys out there?

IT ALL STARTS WITH WINNING...WOOPIE....
Share 49ersWebzone