LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Are we doing enough in FA? Poll Only

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we doing enough in FA? Poll Only

• 49erFaiTHFuLL
  • Info N/A
I wish you would have has "No, need to add more depth (via light FA signings) and resign our building blocks on own team.."

So went with the closest one
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
JEEZUS H FUKIN CHRISTMAS!!!!

GIVE IT A GOT DAMN REST!!!!!!!!!

THERE IS NO ONE THAT IS UNRESTRICTED THAT IS OF WORTH TO THIS FOOTBALL TEAM AT THEIR ASKING PRICE!!!!!

I really apologize for the caps but I am truly tired of non-intelligent football fans crying about something they cant comprehend.

The Washington Redskins have been spending like a rich man's wife the last 10 years and even they now understand there is nothing to be had this season.

Do any of our fans appreciate the fact that we have a very good, young nucleus thats ready to get it started in 2010?? 2 1st round draft choices that can probably become instant starters and over 40 million in cap space to possibly pick up a June 1st cut and/or resign our own stars.

Jeez people get the tampons out your a$$e$!!!!

Apology to those I've offended that do not act like this.

Originally posted by theninermaniac:

THERE IS NO ONE THAT IS UNRESTRICTED THAT IS OF WORTH TO THIS FOOTBALL TEAM AT THEIR ASKING PRICE!!!!!

I really apologize for the caps but I am truly tired of non-intelligent football fans crying about something they cant comprehend.

The Washington Redskins have been spending like a rich man's wife the last 10 years and even they now understand there is nothing to be had this season.

Do any of our fans appreciate the fact that we have a very good, young nucleus thats ready to get it started in 2010?? 2 1st round draft choices that can probably become instant starters and over 40 million in cap space to possibly pick up a June 1st cut and/or resign our own stars.

counterpoint: If youre not getting better, and everyone else is, then you are getting worse. 9er fans are within reason to be concerned with this off season. Its not like were oozing talent on either side of the ball. If we are very fortunate, we can find one or two players in the draft that might have some impact. But as we know, draft picks are far from sure things.

Id like to hear about the Niners shopping the picks for impact players. We could minimize risk, target specific positions, and get proven players. Screw building for the future; the future is now. We need more talent to get us over the hump and to the nfc west title, so please stop being a condecending diva just because fans want action.

SH*T in one hand and WANT in the other, let me know what u get first....

[ Edited by 49ersMan420 on Mar 11, 2010 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by marshniners24:
Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
isnt the technical term "asspons"? this message brought to you by the makers of asspons. "asspons" when youre shorts are full of spackle, reach for asspons.

Your name gets me every time

His other name is "Choda Boy"
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Please look at these links and tell me there aren't a few guys on here that could add some much need depth.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-rb

RB: Kevin Jones, Justin Fargas, Larry Johnson, Thomas Jones, Lamont Jordan, Willie Parker

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-wr

WR: Only one I like is TO

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-ol

Oline: Dont know enough about individual guys, but we should keep Simms (even over pay)

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-s

Saftey: Can we make a run at Atogwe?

So who's to say that analysis hasn't been done? I mean it's not just depth, players need to fit our system and you don't want to upset the locker room any more than it has been already. There is something to be said for team chemistry. You saw the effect just talking to Carr had. What if you found out that coaches didn't like anything they've seen? What if Singletary said he doesn't really see the upgrade in any of those guys over who he has? I think before we immediately assume "we aren't doing enough" before we see a plan. Timing is also important. Why overpay for someone now when chances are they will be available after the draft. I have a feeling that's why many of these guys are still available.

I'm really, really hard on Scott, but I'm willing to wait to see the plan unfold. We'll know in the next 40 days. If it's a perceived failure and we haven't done anything to upgrade (IMHO the most important area) the OL, I will come after Scott with both barrels. Let's just see where this takes us. I think it's a little early to declare defeat.....

at least not yet.

Obviously we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. All we can discuss is what has/hasnt happened up until this point. Like I've said many, many, many times before, I'm just a fan. I dont take myself that serious. There is nothing wrong with speculating, it's everyone else on the board that turns ever topic into life or death. We're talking football, not abortions...

ORLY?

Quote:
[b]It was Scotty and Yorks that first fed us this line,
dont you think we should at least examine it's merrit?

At the end of the day I get the feeling the Yorks are more interested in running this like a business than winning Super Bowls. Please dont use that statement to assume I mean they should be spending without regard.
[/b]

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=138767&page=1

I'm sorry but I dont see anything wrong with that statement. I'm not sure what the beef is? I think Jed would love to follow in his uncles foot steps. Dr. York on the other hand I doubt even cares much as long as they are making money. Outside of football keep in mind that a lot of very wealthy people lost a lot of money in the stock market the last two years and the Yorks where considered poor by NFL standards. The fact is, NONE OF YOU know the truth any more than I do. However, I admit I'm purley speculating, hence the phase " I get the feeling".

I never implied Scotty said points 1-6 in my other thread. In fact, at the beginning of my thread I wrote, " I would like to point out several things." I do not believe any of my points to be inaccurate.

For the record: Yes, I love the young core of players we have. Yes, I think we are headed in the right direction. Yes, I would like us to be more active in free agency (depth at RB & WR & Oline). If it happens in the future, great, but I"m in the here and now. Finally, I've been the one to say I believe we are only an OLine away from being "REAL" playoff contenders. Check my posts about the Oline.
we are not doing enough in free agency there are playmakers available terrell owens darren sharper joey porter roy williams peppers to chi cromratie to ny jets a bryant to cincy thomas jones to kc all of these free agents some of them are or would have been upgrades over current players on 49ers any one who doesnt see that is blind as stevie wonder
NinerGM?
Hell yeah they have done enough. The goal is obviously anywhere from 7 to 9 wins for the next 3 to 5 years. I would say they are doing a bang up job.
No thanks, most FA's slack off because they have already been paid. I'd rather see more guys have to earn their place on the team. It's a misnomer that just because you are signing a player who had success on another team, that it will translate to success on your team. Also, it is a misnomer that because you make a "big signing" it makes your team better.

Our course in Free Agency has been superb. We probably aren't done.

The one player I wish we had gone after was Julius Peppers. Other than that, I agree with you........... There aren't any big name / impact players worth giving up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round pick for...............

Please look at these links and tell me there aren't a few guys on here that could add some much need depth.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-rb

RB: Kevin Jones, Justin Fargas, Larry Johnson, Thomas Jones, Lamont Jordan, Willie Parker

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-wr

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-ol

Oline: Dont know enough about individual guys, but we should keep Simms (even over pay)

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#players-tab-set-1:players-grid-container-position/players-list-links-position:pos-s

So who's to say that analysis hasn't been done? I mean it's not just depth, players need to fit our system and you don't want to upset the locker room any more than it has been already. There is something to be said for team chemistry. You saw the effect just talking to Carr had. What if you found out that coaches didn't like anything they've seen? What if Singletary said he doesn't really see the upgrade in any of those guys over who he has? I think before we immediately assume "we aren't doing enough" before we see a plan. Timing is also important. Why overpay for someone now when chances are they will be available after the draft. I have a feeling that's why many of these guys are still available.

I'm really, really hard on Scott, but I'm willing to wait to see the plan unfold. We'll know in the next 40 days. If it's a perceived failure and we haven't done anything to upgrade (IMHO the most important area) the OL, I will come after Scott with both barrels. Let's just see where this takes us. I think it's a little early to declare defeat.....

at least not yet.

I agree NinerGM. I think it's a little too early esp. given the circumstances FA brings this year. That said, I understand the frustration with fans too given the moves other teams are making to attempt to get better (even if some have lost key players). The frustration adds when we bring in players and nobody wants to sign with us save for Carr who is a very questionable upgrade and affects team chemistry. They guys we do look at (Becht) show we are back to the running philosophy-focus again? We look at broken "bargain" OL again, this after a long history of players who we knew had major injury questions coming in (Jennings - us fans who consulted with Bills fans knew his character; Williams, etc.). Stubbornness in philosophy plays into FA frustration as well as this "bargain" mentality. But who could argue with big money spent on guys such as Jennings, Clements, Jones, etc. some of or own in Derek Smith, Balmer, etc. We've got some great finds in Bly and Harris, Lewis & TKO were solid and inexpensive. But aside from a couple FA's we've bombed esp. on the offensive side and esp. along the o-line. When you couple all the aforementioned with the frustration that we don't seem to target big names over the years at key positions at all or when we do, they choose to go elsewhere, I can understand their position esp. when we used to be the class of the NFL where FA's would accept the minimum just to play for us. We clearly need FA veterans along the OL this year esp. ones that could upgrade what we currently have. With two 1st round choices, there have been many questions over the years as to whether we even have the right philosophy to match our players and/or the coaches to develop all these young players. Now we've got a solid core but need upgrades at key positions, not developing rookie talent at key positions (OL, OLB, Secondary, ST, RB).

So let's wait and see if we target backup FA's for depth (e.g. bargains) or go after some true upgrades at key positions we need to make a true run. Let's see if management does everything it can to get better (e.g. trades, move up in the draft, trade back and stock up, give up draft picks for FA's, etc.).

Fans have a right to expect the best efforts from management to make this team better and make a true run at the division THIS year...rebuilding is over. It's time to bring in those two or three key FA veteran starters that make the difference.
Originally posted by NCommand:

at least not yet.

I agree NinerGM. I think it's a little too early esp. given the circumstances FA brings this year. That said, I understand the frustration with fans too given the moves other teams are making to attempt to get better (even if some have lost key players). The frustration adds when we bring in players and nobody wants to sign with us save for Carr who is a very questionable upgrade and affects team chemistry. They guys we do look at (Becht) show we are back to the running philosophy-focus again? We look at broken "bargain" OL again, this after a long history of players who we knew had major injury questions coming in (Jennings - us fans who consulted with Bills fans knew his character; Williams, etc.). Stubbornness in philosophy plays into FA frustration as well as this "bargain" mentality. But who could argue with big money spent on guys such as Jennings, Clements, Jones, etc. some of or own in Derek Smith, Balmer, etc. We've got some great finds in Bly and Harris, Lewis & TKO were solid and inexpensive. But aside from a couple FA's we've bombed esp. on the offensive side and esp. along the o-line. When you couple all the aforementioned with the frustration that we don't seem to target big names over the years at key positions at all or when we do, they choose to go elsewhere, I can understand their position esp. when we used to be the class of the NFL where FA's would accept the minimum just to play for us. We clearly need FA veterans along the OL this year esp. ones that could upgrade what we currently have. With two 1st round choices, there have been many questions over the years as to whether we even have the right philosophy to match our players and/or the coaches to develop all these young players. Now we've got a solid core but need upgrades at key positions, not developing rookie talent at key positions (OL, OLB, Secondary, ST, RB).

So let's wait and see if we target backup FA's for depth (e.g. bargains) or go after some true upgrades at key positions we need to make a true run. Let's see if management does everything it can to get better (e.g. trades, move up in the draft, trade back and stock up, give up draft picks for FA's, etc.).

Fans have a right to expect the best efforts from management to make this team better and make a true run at the division THIS year...rebuilding is over. It's time to bring in those two or three key FA veteran starters that make the difference.

You're my hero. That's the best summary I've read on the topic. Thanks!
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM ]
These are a few comments from Peter King's MMQB column:

c. No one in the league would have paid Brandon Manumaleuna $3 million to play football in 2010 -- except the Bears, who paid him $6.1 million: $2 million to sign, $3 million in a roster bonus, and $1.055 million in salary.

f. I have no idea what Nate Burleson has done to be handed $8.125 million in 2010 by Detroit. Fortunate man, one of the only competent receivers in a bad crop of unrestricted free agents.

g. And Kyle Vanden Bosch had better be more than a good example for the kids in Detroit, making $13.75 million in his first two years.

j. Karlos Dansby, $18 million (including $400,000 in workout bonuses) over years one and two in Miami. He'd better be doing his best Ray Lewis impersonation for that kind of money.

2. I think I can't wait to hear Mike Holmgren's and Eric Mangini's explanation for paying Jake Delhomme $7 million in 2010. I really can't wait.

The Niners are doing just fine for now. If they get Ayodele or Pitts in the next month or so, that would be good, too. If the Niners land Atogwe after the June 1st deadline when he becomes an UFA, that would be great.

• JC49
  • Veteran
I would like to see us land a proven guard to light a fire under Baas and Rachal or start in whoever is lagging the most's place. Pitts makes me nervous though. Sounds like going down an old road with his injury (Newberry, Jennings, Smith).

Caar was generating some buzz and demand. While getting him might make a lot of sense it still makes you wonder. They name Alex the starter and then get a guy that could restart another QB controversy and must hope to.

What I most hoped for was some significant signing for our secondary at safety or corner. There were good FAs available. If our younger depth at safety steps in like Goldson did last year great but I still would have liked to get somebody in at corner. We did it before with Clements and our GM has already said it makes sense at that position since it has huge bust potential in the draft.

As far as all the talk about receiver free agents goes I disagree. We finally have a solid, young, deep enough corp. We can’t afford to go over paying at every position for an aged solution. It doesn’t work (see Redskins).

If we get an O-tackle in the draft who starts, plays like he was ready to, and get a corner I think we’ll be ahead. I still like Haden for our D. Scotty likes big corners who can tackle and match up with big receivers. Haden would be a good fit for our system. Spencer, Clements, and Haden, with whoever behind them would give Manusky what he needs to get the job done.
Share 49ersWebzone