LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Which former #1 pick has been a bigger disappointment?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Which former #1 pick has been a bigger disappointment?

• dj43
Both players went into terrible situations. Houston WAS an expansion team with no talent, and the 49ers, when Smith was drafted, were AS bad as an expansion team. Though Carr did get Andre Johnson before he really matured as the All Pro he now is, there wasn't much else there for him. We all know Smith had no talent until this year.

This will be an interesting year. I have always liked Carr and felt he would do well if given a chance with a decent team. The fact he wants to be here, is more mature now, and will have time to absorb a relatively simple offense, should all work well to allow him to be a solid backup. He certainly has the tools to do the job. I will not be surprised if Smith goes down, that Carr will step in and do a very good job.
Ken Dorsey
I believe David Carr did lead the league in completion percentage in 2006 (even though his only legit receiver, Johnson, was hurt much of the season).
how fortunate for us to have both!
Originally posted by marshniners24:
neither...jurys still out on both...

That would be true if we were talking about busts, but they are both major disappointments up until this point.

I would say though that Carr is the bigger disappointment, Smith has too many factors out of his control that have really hurt his shot at success.
obviously Carr...so far. He's bounced around on a few teams while Smith still has a chance to resurrect his career on the team that drafted him.
Didn't Carr get sacked like 75 times in 1 season? Is that dissapointing on his part or his Olines?
you know, the interesting thing is, both are so similar. i honestly believe if carr was drafted to another team, that'd he'd be sucessful. the texans were so awful that anyone would have failed. it was like the situation alex was in. no qb drafted in that situation would have succeded. carr had a ton of talent. wonder if he still does. word is that hes been having really good practice sessions with the giants and thats why there was a bit of buzz around his name.

its not a big signing, but a good one. the offense is being built around alex and the vertical pass. hill cant do that. so, hill doesnt fit the scheme anymore. carr isn't too much different than hill, but he fits the scheme better.
Both of them are disappointments. Both were number one overall picks, neither have brought their team(s) to the playoffs. Both of them have BUST written all over them. We might as well trade for JaMarcus Russell to be our third stringer. Then we'll have three number one overall picks as our QBs. 1, 2, and 3. I want a winner dammit!
Smith is probably a perfect example of why you dont reach for need....

Let the battle of the mediocre begin.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 9, 2010 at 1:11 PM ]

Share 49ersWebzone