LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

have we given up on coffee too quickly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
IF(mighty big if) we grab Spiller it's for ST value. Coffee didn't do well last season but that had alot to do with the Line and the play calling than it did Coffee.

~Ceadder
Its not Coffee's fault that he did not receive many oppurtunities(Gore demands/needs his carries). We will have a better blocking scheme in 2010, and both of our backs (Gore, Coffee) will produce. There are other kick returners in the draft that play other positions like WR(Tate?). Who can not only return kicks but also come in as a 2 or 3 WR and make our spread offense more potent.
[ Edited by prime21 on Mar 6, 2010 at 10:14 AM ]
Originally posted by GoldenBear:
The zoners are the ONLY people who have given up on Coffee. The people who matter have not.

Unless a rookie suffers a career ending injury, there is absolutley no reason to give up on a player.

If the zoners had their way, Clayton would be our backup.

JQ

Agreed.. Zoners in general are prone to knee jerk reactionary analysis and are far too emotionally invested in their own opinions.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
IF(mighty big if) we grab Spiller it's for ST value. Coffee didn't do well last season but that had alot to do with the Line and the play calling than it did Coffee.

~Ceadder

OK not disagreeing. But who spends a first round pick on a ST player?
Originally posted by English:

~Ceadder

Ask the the Bears if they would pay a 1st round pick for Hester, the Browns for Josh Cribbs, the Vikings for Percy Harvin, the Eagles for Desean Jackson, and the Saints for Reggie Bush, and I would bet that all of these teams would say yes. That, or they did spend a 1st on one of these players, and they don't regret it.

Sure, they have value other than on special teams, but so does Spiller (Running outside, slot receiver/receiver out of the backfield, and ideally some trickery).
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by GoldenBear:
The zoners are the ONLY people who have given up on Coffee. The people who matter have not.

Unless a rookie suffers a career ending injury, there is absolutley no reason to give up on a player.

If the zoners had their way, Clayton would be our backup.

JQ

Agreed.. Zoners in general are prone to knee jerk reactionary analysis and are far too emotionally invested in their own opinions.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:

~Ceadder

Ask the the Bears if they would pay a 1st round pick for Hester, the Browns for Josh Cribbs, the Vikings for Percy Harvin, the Eagles for Desean Jackson, and the Saints for Reggie Bush, and I would bet that all of these teams would say yes. That, or they did spend a 1st on one of these players, and they don't regret it.

Sure, they have value other than on special teams, but so does Spiller (Running outside, slot receiver/receiver out of the backfield, and ideally some trickery).

So you are saying, for example, that Bush was drafted for ST only? That wasn't how he was perceived when drafted. And if they had the pick again?

A team in our position does not waste a first rounder on ST.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:

~Ceadder

So you are saying, for example, that Bush was drafted for ST only? That wasn't how he was perceived when drafted. And if they had the pick again?

A team in our position does not waste a first rounder on ST.

Spiller's ST contributions seem to be unappreciated for whatever reason,though his production could easily exceed 120 yds/game.Field position is a huge benefit provided by ST's play.He would be no less of a starter than a FB, who is only brought in on certain down and distance situations.Teamed with Gore in the backfield at the same time ,the matchup problems of having to defend both the edge and between the tackles is an advantage to the OL. also.As with nearly all skill players, he would be in on specific [down and distance] packages.Can't use a LB to cover him in the flat, so use a S.Now what do they cover VD up the seam route with? Who helps out over the top with wide outs?Speed on the edge reduces congestion between the hash marks ,making the OL and Gores job easyer.
Watching Coffee play its obvious he isn't very good... I think the team and any fans can see it. I had the same feeling watching Brandon Williams. I'm thinking '49ers spent a 3rd round pick on this garbage?' and guess what, he didn't get much playing time.

49ers need a better backup.
I have not given up on Coffee yet. Not everybody can run like Gore. Coffee is serviceable with a better line. Coffee made some plays last year. He was not completely bad.

Originally posted by Grigga2021:
why would anyone give up on Cofee. He played decent when he steped in. Hes playing behind an elite top 5 running back in the NFL of coarse hes not gunna get the touches. Glenn Cofee was born in 1987 hes just a kid!!!Give him some time to man up. Hes gunna be a beast.

damn that cat is only a yr older than me. f**k sometimes I disgust myself lol.
Originally posted by jogr49:
Originally posted by AZZ:
coffee will be good. give him time.

really doubt this.

that's the spirit!!
maybe it's not giving up on Coffee but giving up on Robinson

if we draft a RB and don't plan on cutting Norris, then Robinson will be the one to go
coffee is too slow and doesn't have Gore's moves or vision
I'm actually looking to see how we utilize Coffee next year. He's got the skills there to be a good RB. Hopefully with some offensive line improvements he can get on track. I believe he can be a valuable asset on this team to spell Gore.

~Dann
Share 49ersWebzone