There are 161 users in the forums

have we given up on coffee too quickly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • AZZ
  • Veteran
coffee will be good. give him time.
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Let me go on record and say i am all for drafting spiller. however, have we given a fair chance to coffee to prove himself? after all he was just a rookie last year and played for the worst OL in all of football.

If we do end up drafting spiller, what do we do with coffee? do we cut him? do we cut robinson considering he is our best special teams player? i dont see us carrying 4 rb's on the roster...

thoughts?

If we draft Spiller, Gore will be gone for a 2nd round. It's going to be Coffee/Spiller time.
ryan mathews!!!!
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
Let me go on record and say i am all for drafting spiller. however, have we given a fair chance to coffee to prove himself? after all he was just a rookie last year and played for the worst OL in all of football.

If we do end up drafting spiller, what do we do with coffee? do we cut him? do we cut robinson considering he is our best special teams player? i dont see us carrying 4 rb's on the roster...

thoughts?

If we draft Spiller, Gore will be gone for a 2nd round. It's going to be Coffee/Spiller time.

i think this is the strongest possibility. though i could see them limiting gore to 20 touches or so. and splitting the rest among the others( with majority going to coffee) and spiller returning.
All of us are pretty confident that an O-lineman will be drafted in the first round...and that's wonderful!

But we have the luxury of two 1st round pick in a draft heavy with 1st round talent. We have to treat #17 as if it is a wild card pick. I personally like Best over Spiller, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to drafting either player. Remember, players like this only come along so often (Case and point is Ingram from Alabama in 2011). Lord help us if Bradford is available at either 13 or 17!
Originally posted by YorkHater:
all i know is that the man he kept on the bench last year at bama hoisted the heisman this year

Did he? If so why didnt he win the heisman himself?
Hopefully not but he needs to stop running up the backs of our olinemen and actually try to make a move sometimes!
  • BenQ
  • Veteran
our "fans" definitely have
As far as "we," go, I have no idea. I see some people saying "we" are on the verge of trading away Gore in favor of Coffee/Spiller, some saying Coffee is going to become Gore, and some saying he's nothing. I think "we," are talking out of our arses and have no idea what "we're" talking about.

Coffee hasn't been given up on by the team and while the 'Zone has no consensus about him, most seem to have more faith in him than doubt.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Mar 6, 2010 at 3:27 AM ]
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

thoughts?

Ridiculous.

I don't think anyone on the team has given up on him just the fans.

The problem Coffee ran into was that the power running offense didn't quite go according to plan. The plan in theory was that Gore was going to be the workhorse and Coffee was going to ease the load on him. What actually happened was that the offense wound up passing more than planned and Gore didn't become the workhorse as envisioned and didn't need Coffee to spell him.

Also let's not forget that it wasn't the line wasn't exactly dominating in run blocking....
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Spiller would be absolutely useless behind this line. So Coffee would have to stick around.

I don't see your point.If there is a lane for Coffee then the same would be true for Spiller,only difference,Spiller's going twice as fast!
Originally posted by AZZ:
coffee will be good. give him time.

really doubt this.
I hope you are asking if we as a messageboard have given up too soon. I would say yes. But if you are asking about the team I would say that no one has given up on Coffee.
why would anyone give up on Cofee. He played decent when he steped in. Hes playing behind an elite top 5 running back in the NFL of coarse hes not gunna get the touches. Glenn Cofee was born in 1987 hes just a kid!!!Give him some time to man up. Hes gunna be a beast.
[ Edited by Grigga2021 on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone