There are 250 users in the forums

have we given up on coffee too quickly?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let me go on record and say i am all for drafting spiller. however, have we given a fair chance to coffee to prove himself? after all he was just a rookie last year and played for the worst OL in all of football.

If we do end up drafting spiller, what do we do with coffee? do we cut him? do we cut robinson considering he is our best special teams player? i dont see us carrying 4 rb's on the roster...

thoughts?
Coffee will have a role on this team in the future, but he is not a complement to Gore, he is the same kind of runner. I see him more as a potential replacement for Gore down the line.
Our line wasnt playing very well. Hard to put all of that on Coffee. The guy racked up a ton of yards in college and was a work horse. I think he is fine and we dont need another back. Maybe a day 2 flyer on a shifty back but nothing more.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Coffee will have a role on this team in the future, but he is not a complement to Gore, he is the same kind of runner. I see him more as a potential replacement for Gore down the line.

if we were to draft spiller, how would we use coffee? i just cant see him get any touches especially since spiller would be the backup due to the fact that he will be a change of pace to gore. does coffee play on the special teams?
The zoners are the ONLY people who have given up on Coffee. The people who matter have not.

Unless a rookie suffers a career ending injury, there is absolutley no reason to give up on a player.

If the zoners had their way, Clayton would be our backup.

JQ
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
Originally posted by HessianDud:

if we were to draft spiller, how would we use coffee? i just cant see him get any touches especially since spiller would be the backup due to the fact that he will be a change of pace to gore. does coffee play on the special teams?

in that scenario, I imagine that Spiller would be a change-of-pace back who gets X # of touches a game, with Coffee as the primary backup to Gore and a situational replacement (ie, a 1st down play when Gore is hurt or tired).

that's just my opinion. Coffee was effective in the preseason and his "failures" during the season came during a stretch where the entire offense struggled, so the jury is totally out on him.
Spiller is too small according to McCloughan so he won't be a Niner.
I don't think anybody has given up on Coffee. Spiller would have a completely different role than Coffee. We would try to get Spiller in space to use his speed and he would be huge on special teams. Coffee is a mini-Gore.
I think Coffee needs more time
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:

In mccloughans philosophy Darren sproles,maruice jones-drew, and Chris Johnson aren't big enough to be 49ers.....he's stupid.

all i know is that the man he kept on the bench last year at bama hoisted the heisman this year
Originally posted by Snider8706:

In mccloughans philosophy Darren sproles,maruice jones-drew, and Chris Johnson aren't big enough to be 49ers.....he's stupid.

I agree. Good football players come in all sizes.
Originally posted by Snider8706:

I agree. Good football players come in all sizes.

I think you guys are over stating his stance on the subject. In general he is correct. But you guys are bringing up needles in hay stacks. How many undersized players actually turn out good? Not as many as the prototypical sized guys.
Meh it doesn't matter if we have because the coaches haven't.
Spiller would be absolutely useless behind this line. So Coffee would have to stick around.
Share 49ersWebzone