There are 192 users in the forums

Willis' Long term right hand man. Spikes? Wilhelm? McKillop? Other...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Don't be fooled by the "TED linebacker simply takes up blockers and funnels everything to Willis" talk.

The 49ers were interested in Briggs, Curtis Lofton, and Rey-Rey in the past three years. Do you any of these guys fit the TED LB mold? Maybe Mauluaga but certainly not the other two.

If McClain has already been drafted, I wouldn' be surprised to hear Sean Weatherspoon's name called at #17. He's the perfect compliment to Willis. Patrick is more of cerebral guy like Bryant Young, but Weatherspoon is natural and vocal leader. I can see Singletary falling in love with Weatherspoon especially after interviewing him.

I would also keep an eye out on Daryl Washington TCU or Sean Lee of Penn state.

I would love Weatherspoon on the Niners and share your opinion of him. It might be a reach though at 17, but we will see. He did very well at the combine with his white tights; he looked like he was a member of the JETS; I wonder if it was on purpose. He is suppose to be very versatile and some of the commentators on him said he could play TED, MIKE, or WHIP positions because of his skill set.

I don't think Weatherspoon is big enough to be the TED thumper we need next to PWille. I like his game a lot though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Don't be fooled by the "TED linebacker simply takes up blockers and funnels everything to Willis" talk.

The 49ers were interested in Briggs, Curtis Lofton, and Rey-Rey in the past three years. Do you any of these guys fit the TED LB mold? Maybe Mauluaga but certainly not the other two.

If McClain has already been drafted, I wouldn' be surprised to hear Sean Weatherspoon's name called at #17. He's the perfect compliment to Willis. Patrick is more of cerebral guy like Bryant Young, but Weatherspoon is natural and vocal leader. I can see Singletary falling in love with Weatherspoon especially after interviewing him.

I would love Weatherspoon on the Niners and share your opinion of him. It might be a reach though at 17, but we will see. He did very well at the combine with his white tights; he looked like he was a member of the JETS; I wonder if it was on purpose. He is suppose to be very versatile and some of the commentators on him said he could play TED, MIKE, or WHIP positions because of his skill set.

I don't think Weatherspoon is big enough to be the TED thumper we need next to PWille. I like his game a lot though.

Id be all for Weatherspoon. I like his game, the attitude he brings to the D and he's a 3-down LB.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Little Spikes.
Originally posted by Chief:
Little Spikes.

yup
Originally posted by Gelder:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Takeo's eventual replacement as starting TED is not yet on the Niner roster.

McKillop is essentially Ulbrich's replacement, a hard-working, over-achieving ST'er, who can fill-in at ILB, in case of an in-game injury or for a week or so, but probably not long term.

McCloughan highly values ILB's, seemingly more highly than other GM's. That's why both Curtis Lofton and Jerod Mayo both almost became Niners, even with Willis already on the team.

I don't know if McClain is worthy of the #13 or #17 pick, but I do expect McCloughan to give him a long look, along with Weatherspoon of Missouri. McClain has supposedly been a coach-on-the-field for Saban. That Spikes-like quality would be a perfect complement to the sensational but stoic Willis.

The one cause for pause is that the TED is only a 2-down position. With the nickle being used 60% of the time in today's NFL, do you now spend a high pick on a 2-down position? Seems more important to have fresh pass-rushers and solid 3rd and 4th CB's in today's NFL.

That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these 2 guys (McClain or Weatherspon) got picked by the Niners in this draft.

thats messed up man why are you knocking on the kid???

1 season & you arlready calling him the next Ulbrich Come on!!!!!
give him a chance to start before you start labeling him.

I hope he does become the "next Ulbrich"..

Brick was solid as hell when he was younger. You don't play in the NFL for like 12 years on one team unless you have some good talent.

yeah, brick was a monster until he injured his biceps
Poll??
Look in here
Originally posted by Jordache49:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Id be all for Weatherspoon. I like his game, the attitude he brings to the D and he's a 3-down LB.

What do you mean you don't think he would be big enough? This is what he measured at the combine:

Sean Weatherspoon:

Height: 6'1 3/8 Weight: 239lbs

Takeo Spikes:

Height: 6'2 Weight: 242

They are practically the same size.

Not to mention he had 34 bench reps, which means he is strong enough to engage linemen and take up blocks.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Mar 3, 2010 at 14:27:16 ]
D. None of the above
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Tebow!

lol

• PROTIME
  • Info N/A
Daryl Washington ILB TCU

Daryl Washington -- I like him in the 2nd round if he's there. Dude's a stud. Spiller, BPA at OT, and DW for our 1st 3 picks would make me very happy
Least of our worries right now.
Looks like we re-signed Wilhelm according to MM... good move I say
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Least of our worries right now.
Share 49ersWebzone