LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 352 users in the forums

Willis' Long term right hand man. Spikes? Wilhelm? McKillop? Other...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What’s going on guys? Slow off-season huh... I love Takeo Spikes man. He and Patrick are like best friends. I had seen them both together at a Warrior game 2 seasons ago... I wouldn't wanna mess with those guys, or walk in front of them in a dark alley. They are frickin huge! I love how they spend time together in the off season. Spikes man, he is just a beast. He gets the defense AND the fans fired up with his celebration dances lol, he is a leader in the locker room, a natural motivator, and just an all around great guy. We know however that his seasons are limited. That being said who are we poising to take his place?

I was just remembering how there was some hype when we drafted McKillop. He did nicely in the pre-season and had some solid plays on special teams. He seems to be a nice choice for Takeo's replacement, in the limited action we have seen him in. I think with another year of experience and coming into the game and playing in key situations, that he will develop into a fine Linebacker to compliment Patrick.

But when the situation arose last season when Spikes went down for a few games, rather than bringing in an unproven rookie in McKillop, we brought on Wilhelm from the Chargers. Wilhelm actually surprised me with his play and I think he did a very good job given the situation of just coming into a new team, stepping right in, and making plays.

The only question remains, what is our long-term solution for this position? Isn't Wilhelm getting up there in age as well? Let's say Spikes plays next season then is done, does McKillop get the nod in 2011, keeping Wilhelm on the bench as a solid backup? Is Wilhelm still young enough to take over that starting roll? Do we target someone else in FA or the draft?

To me, the Juries still out on this position. I like Spikes better than all of them. Not sure how good of a LB McKillop can become, and to me Wilhelm is still pretty unknown as well. Wasn't he a backup in San Diego that got cut? Both may have a shot at being the answer or neither may be the answer. Still a big question mark at the future of this position.

I do know this though. Spikes is a huge reason for Willis' success and it's imperative that we have someone at least as solid as TKO to take over once he's done, otherwise Willis may suffer as a result.

Thoughts?
One or the other, hopefully. Depends on who convinces the coaches I guess. Unless we draft someone.
lol that's some profound ass insight
Not that big of deal imo. I think when the time is right they can fill the gap left by TKO if McKillop isn't the answer. Not really a position where you need a long term solution.
Originally posted by zozell:
lol that's some profound ass insight

What did you expect? You are asking a question only those with access to training etc can answer.
Takeo's eventual replacement as starting TED is not yet on the Niner roster.

McKillop is essentially Ulbrich's replacement, a hard-working, over-achieving ST'er, who can fill-in at ILB, in case of an in-game injury or for a week or so, but probably not long term.

McCloughan highly values ILB's, seemingly more highly than other GM's. That's why both Curtis Lofton and Jerod Mayo both almost became Niners, even with Willis already on the team.

I don't know if McClain is worthy of the #13 or #17 pick, but I do expect McCloughan to give him a long look, along with Weatherspoon of Missouri. McClain has supposedly been a coach-on-the-field for Saban. That Spikes-like quality would be a perfect complement to the sensational but stoic Willis.

The one cause for pause is that the TED is only a 2-down position. With the nickle being used 60% of the time in today's NFL, do you now spend a high pick on a 2-down position? Seems more important to have fresh pass-rushers and solid 3rd and 4th CB's in today's NFL.

That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these 2 guys (McClain or Weatherspon) got picked by the Niners in this draft.
Renaldo Hills
That's exactly why there's rumors of them taking a backer in the first.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

McKillop is essentially Ulbrich's replacement, a hard-working, over-achieving ST'er, who can fill-in at ILB, in case of an in-game injury or for a week or so, but probably not long term.

McCloughan highly values ILB's, seemingly more highly than other GM's. That's why both Curtis Lofton and Jerod Mayo both almost became Niners, even with Willis already on the team.

I don't know if McClain is worthy of the #13 or #17 pick, but I do expect McCloughan to give him a long look, along with Weatherspoon of Missouri. McClain has supposedly been a coach-on-the-field for Saban. That Spikes-like quality would be a perfect complement to the sensational but stoic Willis.

The one cause for pause is that the TED is only a 2-down position. With the nickle being used 60% of the time in today's NFL, do you now spend a high pick on a 2-down position? Seems more important to have fresh pass-rushers and solid 3rd and 4th CB's in today's NFL.

That being said, I still wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these 2 guys (McClain or Weatherspon) got picked by the Niners in this draft.

thats messed up man why are you knocking on the kid???

1 season & you arlready calling him the next Ulbrich Come on!!!!!
give him a chance to start before you start labeling him.

Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:

thats messed up man why are you knocking on the kid???

1 season & you arlready calling him the next Ulbrich Come on!!!!!
give him a chance to start before you start labeling him.

I hope he does become the "next Ulbrich"..

Brick was solid as hell when he was younger. You don't play in the NFL for like 12 years on one team unless you have some good talent.

Don't be fooled by the "TED linebacker simply takes up blockers and funnels everything to Willis" talk.

The 49ers were interested in Briggs, Curtis Lofton, and Rey-Rey in the past three years. Do you any of these guys fit the TED LB mold? Maybe Mauluaga but certainly not the other two.

If McClain has already been drafted, I wouldn' be surprised to hear Sean Weatherspoon's name called at #17. He's the perfect compliment to Willis. Patrick is more of cerebral guy like Bryant Young, but Weatherspoon is natural and vocal leader. I can see Singletary falling in love with Weatherspoon especially after interviewing him.

I would also keep an eye out on Daryl Washington TCU or Sean Lee of Penn state.
My comments about McKillop being more of a ST contributor than the starter at TED, is based on reports from Maiocco/Barrows over the last year, that this is how the coaching staff views McKillop. They love him, are glad to have him (like Ulbrich and Michael Robinson), but do not seem to be projecting him as a starting TED.

No, I won't take the time to scour for a link. You'll just have to believe me that I didn't make up this critique of McKillop. I like the kid too, just commenting from the coaches' POV.
My comments about McKillop being more of a ST contributor than the starter at TED, is based on reports from Maiocco/Barrows over the last year, that this is how the coaching staff views McKillop. They love him, are glad to have him (like Ulbrich and Michael Robinson), but do not seem to be projecting him as a starting TED.

No, I won't take the time to scour for a link. You'll just have to believe me that I didn't make up this critique of McKillop. I like the kid too, just commenting from the coaches' POV.

Here's your Link

Quote:
The 49ers were thrilled to select McKillop in the fifth round of last year's draft. McKillop made his contribution as a rookie on special teams with 31 tackles (19 solo). He might very well take over the role Jeff Ulbrich held for so long. It is possible McKillop could work into a starting role, but nothing will be handed to him. The 49ers don't feel the need to force the issue, either. As a fifth-round pick, there's no shame in settling into a role as a special-teams standout and backup linebacker.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Don't be fooled by the "TED linebacker simply takes up blockers and funnels everything to Willis" talk.

The 49ers were interested in Briggs, Curtis Lofton, and Rey-Rey in the past three years. Do you any of these guys fit the TED LB mold? Maybe Mauluaga but certainly not the other two.

If McClain has already been drafted, I wouldn' be surprised to hear Sean Weatherspoon's name called at #17. He's the perfect compliment to Willis. Patrick is more of cerebral guy like Bryant Young, but Weatherspoon is natural and vocal leader. I can see Singletary falling in love with Weatherspoon especially after interviewing him.

I would also keep an eye out on Daryl Washington TCU or Sean Lee of Penn state.

I would love Weatherspoon on the Niners and share your opinion of him. It might be a reach though at 17, but we will see. He did very well at the combine with his white tights; he looked like he was a member of the JETS; I wonder if it was on purpose. He is suppose to be very versatile and some of the commentators on him said he could play TED, MIKE, or WHIP positions because of his skill set.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Mar 2, 2010 at 13:29:51 ]
Tebow!
Share 49ersWebzone