LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Baas gets original round tender

Shop Find 49ers gear online
hope someone signs him and with a 2nd or 3rd we should replace him if he stays or not
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by 804Niner:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I wonder if anyone tries to sign him

If they don't, we resign him cheap and he's o-line depth.

But just for one more year...Is he worth keeping around?

For depth he's worth it. He knows the system and team and I'm pretty sure we're getting "somebody" for the line in the draft, who's better. I hope.

Agree
i think its a good move, he is serviceable but they should be looking to get better. if someone wants to grab him for a 2nd rounder though i wouldnt complain
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
i think its a good move, he is serviceable but they should be looking to get better. if someone wants to grab him for a 2nd rounder though i wouldnt complain

yeah I don't think I'd be upset if either him or Brooks got snatched up
Originally posted by Esco:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
He should get a chicken tender.

this actually cracked me up.

Baas I can see, but Brooks? He has shown some serious ability in very limited time. I would MUCH rather keep Brooks than receive an extra 2nd.
Originally posted by WINiner:

Baas I can see, but Brooks? He has shown some serious ability in very limited time. I would MUCH rather keep Brooks than receive an extra 2nd.

This. If another team try to sign him, rather than receiving a 2nd rounder, do we not have the option to match their offer?

To be honest, I see this guy as a serious pass rusher in future. I would hate to lose him right now.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Esco:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......chicken tenders....
Just keep Baas (as well as co-victims, Patrick Willis and Tarrell Brown) out of the damn nutcracker drill, where he tore the plantar fascia in his foot. Mark McGwire retired from baseball due to this injury.

So, Baas proved his toughness by playing hurt in 2009. Now, in what has become his "new" contract year (if no CBA agreement), he needs to step-up his level of play with his improved health.

Based on his body of work-to-date, I doubt that any club will be willing to give up a 2nd rounder to acquire Baas at this time. It was a smart move by the front office to tender at the 2nd round level. If Baas shines in 2010 (and he should be mightily motivated), both he and the club win. If it's more of the same from Baas (inconsistent play), then he won't be re-signed by the club for 2011 and beyond.

Baas always seemed to be in Warhop's dog-house. The injured Baas got more play with Foerster. I'm eager to see what Solari and especially Ray Brown can do with a healthy Baas (and Rachal).

McCloughan needs to be looking a year ahead and needs to approach this off-season as if Baas will be gone in 2011. That means either acquiring a quality veteran FA OG/C, and/or drafting such a player.

Originally posted by English:

This. If another team try to sign him, rather than receiving a 2nd rounder, do we not have the option to match their offer?

To be honest, I see this guy as a serious pass rusher in future. I would hate to lose him right now.

ya we can match as i said before i would much rather keep brooks however getting a 2nd for him wouldnt be the worst thing in the world
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by English:

ya we can match as i said before i would much rather keep brooks however getting a 2nd for him wouldnt be the worst thing in the world

yeah it wouldn't be as bad as losing Kory Sheets, I'm still not over that
Smart move...as with OT, it makes good sense to have a vet behind whomever they draft, be it Iupati or Mike Johnson. Only 1 year, my sense is he may be gone in 2011.
just my opinion, but baas=wragge=heitmann=snyder, and that is a problem. Staley is a starter, and last half of season , sims surprised. I still can't figure out rachal, but with foerster, i can see how a young guy could go backward under foerster. Worse yet, is that bigmike didn't see what a has- been foerster was...and that hurts as much as anything. I've said this since last pre season, and that is we need , STILL, 3 starting OLs. #1, #1, and FA OL starter. Anything less than that, and i just see the team of the last 5 yrs, with a HC who is so far behind on experience ladder that it is not measurable. That said , if bigMike comes thru and gets us 2 first rd OTs, or OG, a lot could be forgiven. I am not holding my breath.

I think a couple teams above us have to take QBs in the first, and there is a bucketful of redhot DLs out there, plus a must have DB, probably one RB(or 2), at least two OLBs, so there is a chance we could get a starting OT, and maybe Iupati(OG, but OT possibility), if not another OT. I am scared to death we could just miss the cream by a pick or so, which has been our plight with D'Brickshaw and the other yr the LB who went to GB(blocking on his name...went to Ohio St)...both those guys were picked just before us...1 pick.

BWAHAHAHA!
Share 49ersWebzone