LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

Well at least somebody agrees with me

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I get a vibe that we're going to shore up on 'need' positions, and find a lucrative way to put down the bank for Jake Locker in next year's draft. If we tool our o-line this season we'll in the the type of position winning teams are in to give a rookie QB a fresh chance at a promising career (like the Jets did before putting the bank down to obtain Sanchez, after tooling the o-line with veterans and pro-bowlers 1-2 years previous).

well put!
Alex Smith is going to bust out this yr! CONTRACT YEAR!!!!!
Casserly can say what he wants...but, I really don't see any QB's worth getting very excited about. I think the right answer is Alex is the starter, develop Nate Davis so that if Alex isn't re-signed in 2011, we've got a young QB who knows the system and can be productive. If we draft a QB, then what...do you cut Hill? Not smart to open the season with Alex, Nate and a rookie. You have to look at the big picture...it might be different if there were some "can't miss" prospects, but I really don't see any. All the supposed marquee QB's really aren't and there are signficant questions about them. Not worth any high draft picks in my book.
I think we should wait till next year and grab that kid from Arkansas he seems to have one hell of an arm and was playing with subpar wr's I just can't remember his name great qb though. One to watch imo.
Originally posted by filthydogma:
I think we should wait till next year and grab that kid from Arkansas he seems to have one hell of an arm and was playing with subpar wr's I just can't remember his name great qb though. One to watch imo.

Ryan Mallett

[ Edited by PTulini on Feb 27, 2010 at 00:01:07 ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't think the Niners would pass on a qB they clearly think is the guy either. Problem is this group of qb's don't seem to be the answer.

I think this draft is deep in QBs, I like the kid from Oregon State, in about the 4-5th round.

Next year I would like to see this:
1) A. Smith
2) N. Davis
3) A. Quality Rookie!

I wouldn't be opposed to this.

Most people in this forum don't like the idea f taking another QB but when I look at a depth chart without Hill, I gotta say it looks fine by me. Smith has shown he is at least an average NFL QB, and thats not bad, maybe he improves maybe he doesn't, so draft another QB. Hill is just a crutch, take a chance!
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Casserly can say what he wants...but, I really don't see any QB's worth getting very excited about. I think the right answer is Alex is the starter, develop Nate Davis so that if Alex isn't re-signed in 2011, we've got a young QB who knows the system and can be productive. If we draft a QB, then what...do you cut Hill? Not smart to open the season with Alex, Nate and a rookie. You have to look at the big picture...it might be different if there were some "can't miss" prospects, but I really don't see any. All the supposed marquee QB's really aren't and there are signficant questions about them. Not worth any high draft picks in my book.

Agreed

If the 49ers spend a high draft on a QB is he gonna help them this year?Next year?

#1 is OL but with 2 1st rnd picks they should grab Spiller if he falls in their lap.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
I don't think the Niners would pass on a qB they clearly think is the guy either. Problem is this group of qb's don't seem to be the answer.

I think this draft is deep in QBs, I like the kid from Oregon State, in about the 4-5th round.

1) A. Smith
2) N. Davis
3) A. Quality Rookie!

dido on kid from Oregon st. (Sean Canfield) he was a stud.

Kid has to make a good impression this week/weekend because after his poor Senior Bowl week, his stock is down. Doesn't appear to have the arm strength to make all the throws.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:

1) A. Smith
2) N. Davis
3) A. Quality Rookie!

dido on kid from Oregon st. (Sean Canfield) he was a stud.

Kid has to make a good impression this week/weekend because after his poor Senior Bowl week, his stock is down. Doesn't appear to have the arm strength to make all the throws.

In the "Civil War" game, OSU rivalry game with Oregon, he looked very polished, and very pro in a big time game situation, although he did not preform well in his bowl game appearance (55 mph winds) over the last couple of seasons I have seen him make "all" the throws. I think he is a 4-5th or even a 6th round steal.

That kid from Washington is a better QB than Mallet, I think Lockett is his name.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Possibly, but there are more glaring needs that need to be addressed first.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

That kid from Washington is a better QB than Mallet, I think Lockett is his name.

Yea that kid is pretty good too! Lots of "Sleepers" in this draft.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Yea that kid is pretty good too! Lots of "Sleepers" in this draft.

I believe Lockett is foregoing his eligibility and returning to play another year.

-9fA
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Ronnie49Lott:
Ron Wolf, McCloughan's mentor, was big on picking a QB every year so he'd always have an up and coming QB. I wonder why SM hasn't followed that rule.

Ummm maybe cause Martz brought JT with him the year before and Scott drafted Davis last season?

I forget, when did Scott take over full time as GM?

~Ceadder

Ummmmmm? WTF is that for?
too bad smith is the starter
Share 49ersWebzone