There are 298 users in the forums

McGloughan to limit Gore this year. Is limiting Gore a good idea?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

McGloughan to limit Gore this year. Is limiting Gore a good idea?

Originally posted by Method:
So, going along with this thread, who would you want to see as a backup RB?

Here's a few of the choices that seem to be available:

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

My order would be CJ Spiller, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, LT, Westbrook.

I'd take any of the first three for their punt/ kick returning skills alone, but CJ is the top choice IMO

You think San Diego would part with Sproles too after letting LT go?? I seriously doubt he will be available.
not bad.

It could also be viewed as a decoy, but I really want to see this Alex Smith guy everyone is talking about.

The next big thing or something like that.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
not bad.

It could also be viewed as a decoy, but I really want to see this Alex Smith guy everyone is talking about.

Never heard of him....

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Scout.com is reporting that Scot McGloughan wants to limit Gore's carries:

NINERS: GORE TO BE LIMITED

I agree that there is a greater chance of him staying healthy by limiting him, but I don't think he will be as productive without his touches. Especially with a bad O-Line since he needs every chance he gets to break for a large gain.

Side notes/questions:
Could this be related to recent releases of great RBs Tomlinson and Westbrook? Maybe he's trying prevent Gore from burning out early in his career as was the case for these two.

Is this a clue that he has the great CJ Spiller on his radar and is trying to smooth things over early?

Will Gore be happy about this decision? Consider the fact that he wasn't last year when Coffee came in. He stressed the fact that he was more productive with more touches.

Its GM-speak in February, not to mention that its Singletary and Raye that decide how many carries Gore gets on game day. It also ignores that Gore's dings have not been because of a lot of carries. He got hurt last year early in the season and was at his best late in the year. Gore has not gotten hurt because of the accumulation of hits. Its been one play here or there, spraining an ankle, etc. That could happen in Game 1, it could happen in Game 16, it could happen in the 2nd half of a Conference Championship game (e.g. Freeney this year).

Its fine if they want to take some of the load off of him but something tells me if he gets 10 carries in the first game and they lose, that plan will go out the window pretty quickly.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
not bad.

Not cool! Please take it somewhere else.

[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:22:21 ]

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

I'd take any of the first three for their punt/ kick returning skills alone, but CJ is the top choice IMO

You think San Diego would part with Sproles too after letting LT go?? I seriously doubt he will be available.

If San Diego can trade Cromartie for an RB, I can see them letting sproles go, they dont feel he is an everydown back and dont want to pay him that way either
Coffee f**king sucks, end of discussion. We need an upgrade at backup RB so badly; whenever Gore leaves the game, it's like we have 10 players out there instead of 11.

And you know this because..........
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Coffee f**king sucks, end of discussion. We need an upgrade at backup RB so badly; whenever Gore leaves the game, it's like we have 10 players out there instead of 11.

...?

From watching the games? There's plenty of rookie RB's that come in to teams and contribute right away, Coffee was not able to do so. Dude sucks. Can't even pass block on 3rd down so we used MRob over him, lol.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
McCloughan doesnt make that call, the coaches do. He gets them the players then the coaches decide how to use them or if they even want them.

ie. Kory Sheets
Originally posted by valrod33:

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

If San Diego can trade Cromartie for an RB, I can see them letting sproles go, they dont feel he is an everydown back and dont want to pay him that way either

Who would they trade for though?? I doubt there is anyone out there besides Taylor or Westbrook that is worth it.

Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
probably means we're going after another RB to share carries

Agree & think we should as long as he has return abilities.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:

...?

From watching the games? There's plenty of rookie RB's that come in to teams and contribute right away, Coffee was not able to do so. Dude sucks. Can't even pass block on 3rd down so we used MRob over him, lol.

The kid was a rookie, behind a crappy line, who got his most action in a game against the frikin Vikes Defense. He had 83 carries on the year. How the hell can you tell how good or bad he is? Show me that our line is amazing and I will agree with your view of our backup RB.

JQ

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

Who would they trade for though?? I doubt there is anyone out there besides Taylor or Westbrook that is worth it.

I just read the Bills may put Marshawn Lynch on the trade block
Originally posted by teeohh:
It's a good idea, Gore may not like it but he needs to get over that s**t.

...but at the same time Gore's initial reaction is EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT!!! you want a guy who is just burning to be out on that field 24/7. but if you ask anyone who knows gore if they think he'll pout or be a malcontent for one second, i guarantee the answer will be no. he is a team-first guy, and he'll accept that it's what's best for the team, and ultimately for himself when we are winning and get into the playoffs. remember, he stayed positive when we were throwing the ball so much at the end of last year. HE JUST WANTS TO WIN! PERIOD!

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

I just read the Bills may put Marshawn Lynch on the trade block

Now that's someone I believe they would trade for. He is pretty damn good, but has character issues. Norv will slap him around a bit and set him straight!

Either way, it looks like there will be lots of options for us if they truly plan to pickup a second complementary RB. Draft or market.
Share 49ersWebzone