LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 316 users in the forums

McGloughan to limit Gore this year. Is limiting Gore a good idea?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

McGloughan to limit Gore this year. Is limiting Gore a good idea?

Scout.com is reporting that Scot McGloughan wants to limit Gore's carries:

NINERS: GORE TO BE LIMITED

I agree that there is a greater chance of him staying healthy by limiting him, but I don't think he will be as productive without his touches. Especially with a bad O-Line since he needs every chance he gets to break for a large gain.

Side notes/questions:
Could this be related to recent releases of great RBs Tomlinson and Westbrook? Maybe he's trying prevent Gore from burning out early in his career as was the case for these two.

Is this a clue that he has the great CJ Spiller on his radar and is trying to smooth things over early?

Will Gore be happy about this decision? Consider the fact that he wasn't last year when Coffee came in. He stressed the fact that he was more productive with more touches.

[ Edited by Norcal9erfan on Feb 25, 2010 at 09:07:08 ]
  • Silky
  • Veteran
If we do not upgrade coffee, then no it is not a good idea. If we get a decent back to spell him, then yes.
i think this is a hint that we either draft Spiller or sign Sproles or Bush in free agency
Coffee f**king sucks, end of discussion. We need an upgrade at backup RB so badly; whenever Gore leaves the game, it's like we have 10 players out there instead of 11.

[ Edited by Method on Feb 25, 2010 at 09:31:22 ]
probably means we're going after another RB to share carries
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

I agree that there is a greater chance of him staying healthy by limiting him, but I don't think he will be as productive without his touches. Especially with a bad O-Line since he needs every chance he gets to break for a large gain.

Side notes/questions:
Could this be related to recent releases of great RBs Tomlinson and Westbrook? Maybe he's trying prevent Gore from burning out early in his career as was the case for these two.

Is this a clue that he has the great CJ Spiller on his radar and is trying to smooth things over early?

Will Gore be happy about this decision? Consider the fact that he wasn't last year when Coffee came in. He stressed the fact that he was more productive with more touches.

Frank Gore has completed a 16 game schedule just once in this career.

Westbrook and Tomlinson are both 30 years old. Running backs generally don't produce past their 30th birthday.

I think the team would be wise to share the load in the backfield if the team wants a healthy and productive backfield not only late in the season, but moving forward into the following seasons.
It's a good idea, Gore may not like it but he needs to get over that s**t.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
i think this is a hint that we either draft Spiller or sign Sproles or Bush in free agency

yep
It's McCloughan, but I don't have much confidence in him as our GM, so I prefer spelling it "McClueless" as I seen posted before.

I voted "No", but I'm torn between the two philosophies. On one hand, you can give him the bulk of the carries to increase chance of productivity and winning games since he's easily our best RB. OTOH, you limit his carries and split among Coffee and Rookie(?) to get them some PT when we have the lead or during games to keep Gore fresh late in the season.

Either way, I just wanna win, if it means giving Gore the bulk of the carries to better our chances, then so be it. If we're so worried about him burning out, then draft a RB and he can take over in a couple of yrs. BTW, Coffee is NOT our future RB, so far he's a back up at best.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

That would be my guess as well. Especially after coach Singletary's comments recently.

So, going along with this thread, who would you want to see as a backup RB?

Here's a few of the choices that seem to be available:

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

My order would be CJ Spiller, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, LT, Westbrook.

I'd take any of the first three for their punt/ kick returning skills alone, but CJ is the top choice IMO
Originally posted by Method:
So, going along with this thread, who would you want to see as a backup RB?

Here's a few of the choices that seem to be available:

Reggie Bush
CJ Spiller
Darren Sproles
LaDainian Tomlinson
Brian Westbrook

My order would be CJ Spiller, Reggie Bush, Darren Sproles, LT, Westbrook.

I'd take any of the first three for their punt/ kick returning skills alone, but CJ is the top choice IMO

I would like to see Reggie Bush reunited with Alex Smith.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

Side notes/questions:

Maybe it's all a smokescreen to get teams to believe we will be interested in Spiller/Best/McCluster only to draft a mid round RB in place and hope that it gets a team to trade up or take Spiller ahead of us causing another prospect to fall.
I think it means coffee will get more chances this season. I think coffee with a season/offseason under his belt will come back on fire and will show up this year.

Extra time around Rathman has to help.

[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:01:15 ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
It's a good idea, Gore may not like it but he needs to get over that s**t.

No player will get over it It's what got them where they are. He can work well with another back but most competitive athletes always wants the ball all the time. It's a good idea just need a guy who can get the job done and a o line that can get it done.

And Coffee was a wasted pick last year Please Scott don't waste another 3rd round pick.

[ Edited by lamontb on Feb 25, 2010 at 10:11:55 ]
Share 49ersWebzone