LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

5 Reasons Alex Smith is Going to Be a Top 5 QB in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Peyton Manning
2) Tom Brady
3) Drew Brees
4) Aaron Rodgers
5) Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Brett Favre... the list could go on!

Could it happen? f**kIN A! TEAR s**t UP SMITH!! I'm either cursed or blessed at this point choosing your jersey number as my username!
matt ryan? lol.... matt ryan isn't a top 10 qb. he MIGHT be a top 15 qb
i dont think top 5 but more likely top 10
We just need him to be a top 12 quarterback. That should be enough to get us into the playoffs. After that, he can climb further into the top 10, as he does get better each year he plays.
You made me click on a BLEACHER REPORT POS?

For that -- you should be banned. Period. End of story.

Bleacher Report = Birdcage liner
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Matt Ryan: 14 Games Completion %58.3 2,916 yards TD's 22 INT 14
Alex Smith 10 1/2 games CMP %60.5 2,350 yards TD's 18 INT 12

pretty similar
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Matt Ryan was ranked one spot below Smith last year, but Smith sucks and he is great!
The top 10 is possible and it's what we hope for.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The top 10 is possible and it's what we hope for.

Completely agree. I don't think Smith can go elite status this year, but I think he can be very good if he plays well, the o-line holds up, the running game works, and the receivers catch the ball.

Tonight will be a somewhat telling tale of how we look.

Another thing of concern for me is, and has been since last year, Jimmy Raye's playcalling. Hopefully he opens it up a bit this not only tonight, but this entire year, and let's Alex go out there and call plays if necessary.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Top 5, never in a million years. He doesn't have the pocket presence, top 5 quarterbacks can feel the rush, they have eyes in the back of their heads. It is something that is genetic, it cannot be taught or acquired. Top 10 maybe, Top 15 highly possible, Top 5 no way in hell.

Originally posted by WestCoast:
i dont think top 5 but more likely top 10

agree
I wish Alex had one more year on his contract for insurance purposes. If he don't get us to the playoffs this year, we could dump him for a draft pick. There are some coaches in the league who like Smith.
Originally posted by BobS:
Top 5, never in a million years. He doesn't have the pocket presence, top 5 quarterbacks can feel the rush, they have eyes in the back of their heads. It is something that is genetic, it cannot be taught or acquired. Top 10 maybe, Top 15 highly possible, Top 5 no way in hell.

he's stayed clean in the preseason so far. he stepped away from the rush today and in the game against the vikings. i think he was so nervous about making the right reads in previous years, now that hes comfortable in the offense he can just play, and hes showing that
Originally posted by BobS:

i wouldnt say never you never know what will happen however this year i doubt it iwll happen but top 10 is a possibility
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Why stop there?

Alex Smith > Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees all fused in one.

That's not asking much, can we get a super bowl winning dynasty team while we're at it???
Share 49ersWebzone