There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners willing to trade Aubrayo Franklin for a 1st round pick

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
we put the franchise tag on him....

You do realize that we can trade him for a 1st even after tagging him, right?

Or why are you quoting yourself?
Originally posted by Overkill:

i dont get why we would do that after tagging him tho

Because they value a 1st round pick more than Franklin

Teams have traded tagged players in the past.

the article says we get 2 first round picks if another team decides to sign him??

im not too sure how the tagging system works

Because you need the tag for compensation, if not he would be an UFA. The tag is like an "instant contract" - it guarantees him the top average salary at his position. There are differences - exclusive and non-exclusive. Exclusive means he MUST deal with the 49ers and cannot even talk to any other team for a contract. Non-exclusive means he can negotiate, sign an offer sheet but in order to get his rights that team must give the 49ers minimum of 2 1st rounders. The 49ers may not ask for two but can. Word on the street (MM), the 49ers would only ask for 1.

Sando doesn't say exclusive or non. MM says he thinks it's non. More information is needed of course.

If it's exclusive, then there's no chance they're going to trade him. That would be a little silly to place the exclusive and then trade him. There are no sign and trades in the NFL. The only way under an exclusive we trade is if the other team wants him badly and willing to trade anything just to get at him (highly unlikely).

I think it's gutsy if it's non-exclusive. Shows me that Scott is willing to take calculated risks which I think you MUST do as a GM. We'll see.

UPDATE:

MM confirms it is a NON-EXCLUSIVE.

Interesting chess move. There are some teams out there running the 3-4 who need a NT. This just sets the conversation at a certain bar, it doesn't mean that the 49ers aren't listening. They are.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Feb 23, 2010 at 15:11:24 ]

the article says we get 2 first round picks if another team decides to sign him??

I wasn't real clear on that, either, until last year. Basically, the team can rescind the tag if they get an offer they like. They don't have to hold out for two 1st rounders.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Misleading title.

A league source telling MM that he "thought" the Niners "would be willing" to do this, is not the same as the Niners "actually saying" they "would" be willing to do this.

Reading comprehension, FTW!

I wasn't real clear on that, either, until last year. Basically, the team can rescind the tag if they get an offer they like. They don't have to hold out for two 1st rounders.

Exactly! Here is a perfect example... The Patriots last year Franchise tagged Matt Cassell. If any team signed him, they would of had to give the Pats 2 first round picks. But, the Pats decided to trade Cassell while being signed under the franchise tender of 15 Million dollars to the Chiefs for a 2nd round pick. So basically the franchise tag is their to insure that a player isnt lost for any compensation.

His stat has improved since he got with us. We have 2 first round pick, why trade a proven player with another pick which will cost us more (if within the first 15 spot)???

jussayin....

Originally posted by kidash:

His stat has improved since he got with us. We have 2 first round pick, why trade a proven player with another pick which will cost us more (if within the first 15 spot)???

jussayin....

Because every player has a trade value and at 30 years old and playing well in a contract year, he's only proven he can be great during his contract year. Marques Douglas tore things up in his contract year also. What team does he play for now? Household name?

I think it's a very smart move. I always believe working to upgrade a spot with better talent - especially at the LOS - is something you always have to consider.

Always.

Uncapped year/ no CBA means that a longer deal can be signed for a better talented player.

I think I have a relatively good handle on the tagging system, so I will try to explain:

Franklin got tagged by us, so we are required to give him a one-year contract averaging the top 5 salaries of his designated position (in his case, DT). This contract becomes fully guaranteed the moment Franklin signs it. Since he has been tagged, his rights remain with our team, but he got the non-exclusive tag, so he can still negotiate terms with other teams. Now, there are several things that can possibly happen:

- Franklin and the Niners hammer out a long-term contract. He signs the new long-term contract and the Niners take the franchise tag away. I guess that would be what Franklin and his Agent prefer, because it gives him long-term security.

-No long-term contract gets done and Franklin does not get any offers from other teams. In this case, Franklin will sign his franchise tender and play under the one-year contract wich is fully guaranteed. There could be some crazy stuff like him not signing the tender and sitting out the season and stuff, but I assume he and his agent are reasonable. He could however skip some part of training camp (or even the full camp) and sign his tender afterwards if he wants to.

-Franklin gets a long-term deal from another team. Now it gets interesting because there are several possibilities here:

The Niners could simply match the long-term deal from the other team. In this case, he would get the exact same money from the other team, but would stay with the Niners. That happend to Andy Lee, when he was a RFA. Pittsburgh wanted him, negotiated a long-term deal, the Niners matched it and Lee still punts for us.

Now, it could be that the Niners think the long-term deal from another team is too big and they do not want to match (for example, if Franklin gets Haynesworth-type money from another team) or the contract contains a "poison pill" like the one from Steve Hutchinson (In short: It was structured in a way that made it impossible for the Seahawks to match, because it had some language in it that would made the entire contract guaranteed if he stayed in Seattle, but not in Minnesota). But still, the Niners get a chance to match the contract. If the Niners choose not to match the offer from another team and let Franklin walk, they would automatically get two first-round picks from the other team. Since this price is so steep, usually teams trying to get franchise players try the last option

-A trade happens. In this case, a team that wants Franklin approaches the Niners with a trade offer. The Niners and the other team that wants to trade for Franklin can negotiate any type of compensation they like, this is completely independent from the two first-round picks mentioned before. In theory, they could even trade him for a seventh-round pick or so, but in reality, the compensation for a franchise player is usually pretty steep. But there are no set values in a franchise player trade, take Matt Cassel for example. He was franchised and got traded for a second-rounder and Matt Vrabel. Technically, the team trading for a franchise player would not even need to give the franchise player a new contract, but since you traded for the guy, you want to keep him long-term, so they all do.

Now this is the big unknown. We do not know for sure whether the Niners are willing to trade him. They could be willing to trade Franklin away for a first-rounder as is speculated here, they could also just say "We franchised him, if you want him, make him an offer we cannot match and give us two first-round picks" and deny any trade requests, we do not know for sure. I would guess they want him back, because a NT is so hard to find, but the free agent market is so bad this year and with the 3-4 becoming more common now, maybe a desperate team will break the bank and give the Niners a really great offer. The thing is, the Niners have options now and it should be interesting to see what they do with him.

Phew, pretty long, I hope this clears things up a bit and nobody fell asleep during my post
Originally posted by NinerGM:

jussayin....

Because every player has a trade value and at 30 years old and playing well in a contract year, he's only proven he can be great during his contract year. Marques Douglas tore things up in his contract year also. What team does he play for now? Household name?

I think it's a very smart move. I always believe working to upgrade a spot with better talent - especially at the LOS - is something you always have to consider.

Always.

Uncapped year/ no CBA means that a longer deal can be signed for a better talented player.

Who???? I'm up for an upgrade but who would be a better player at NT that we can get and would also produce???

[ Edited by kidash on Feb 23, 2010 at 15:46:25 ]

jussayin....

Because we need to think past next year.

The tag is a one year deal and if we can't get his agent to do a reasonable LT deal, than we're probably better off in the long run trading him than letting him walk next year for nothing.

jussayin....

The tag is a one year deal and if we can't get his agent to do a reasonable LT deal, than we're probably better off in the long run trading him than letting him walk next year for nothing.

we can just tag him again next year

jussayin....

I understand the reasoning, just don't like the idea of trading him AT THIS POINT...