LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

What do you think we would need to do to win it all next year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Essentially an injury-free year.
Materially better QB play.
2-3 starting caliber players added via FA and/or draft.

It can happen. I remember 1981. The Niners came from nowhere that year with 3 rookie starters in the defensive backfield and no-name running backs. Of course, they did have the young Joe.........
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Rockyfromask:
One word! C.J. Spiller!

that is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. a change of pace back is not going to make a huge impact.

what one thing could take us all the way? two words: alex smith. he's the starter. if he can play at a pro bowl level, we could definitly make it to the super bowl. we are a qb away. we have the defense. we have the rb. we have the receivers- VD and crabs. we just need the qb to step it up.

we are that close. in this years draft, if we can grab a tackle, a db, and a return man, and our qb steps it up considerably, there should be no reason not to win it all.

your right but you left out one thing, we need an offensive line...... definitely an important role in whether we put up points or not.......

Originally posted by 84SheepDog:
1. Alex Smith needs to get better - His yards per attempt need to go up (rated 24th last year), he needs to work on his pocket awareness, keep his INTs low (which I believe he will - 25td 10int), Run more (51yds, 11 Games)

2. OL obviously needs to do better (and should on new coaching, alone). Pick up some help in the draft, minimally Iupati. Sims did okay in place of Staley at LT last year... if that works, and Staley needs to go back to RT, let's do it. Draft another tackle for security.

3. Vernon - Work on his hot-read assignments, continue with his catching regimen, maintain his skills as a blocker, practice with simulated snap-counts, or something that can help him minimize the false starts. Honestly, he does plenty for this team, but if he can master even more aspects of his game? He'd honestly be one of the most valuable weapons in the league.

4. Defense - Maintain, at a minimum, what success they had this past year. Brooks needs to step up his game and we should add some secondary help in the draft.

5. Special Teams - Obviously this needs to get better and will once we address it in the draft (Spiller, McCluster, Gilyard, whatever).

6. Coaching - Raye (and hopefully Mike Johnson) need to continue to work on plays that were routinely successful last year. Practice hard on those Crabtree bubble screens. Work on Gore out of the shotgun. Incorporate more into the playbook.

Agree great post! We need a great draft & offseason!
Last year I started a thread, I think it as something like " Niniers are only 4 players away" Well.....
I think the Niners are STILL only 4 players away....

1 True all purpose Fullback

2 Ball Hawking DB (ST or CB)

3 Outside Pass Rusher

4 All pro Guard.

Bonus players would be all purpose back up RB, Speed burner WR, Quality Veteran Back up QB (Hill is done).
  • dald1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Last year I started a thread, I think it as something like " Niniers are only 4 players away" Well.....

3 Outside Pass Rusher

4 All pro Guard.

Bonus players would be all purpose back up RB, Speed burner WR, Quality Veteran Back up QB (Hill is done).
by all pro guard do u mean tackle...
OLINE

OLINE

OLINE!
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
All the other teams are consumed by a black hole and never heard from again.

Hack into the FAA Air Traffic Control System and cause the fully loaded team planes for the Saints, Vikings, Cowboys and Packers to have a mid-air collision then kidnap Brady or Manning on the eve of the Superbowl. But I think people might get suspicious.

Originally posted by dald1:

3 Outside Pass Rusher

4 All pro Guard.

NO! I think Pashoes, and any one of the available FA tackles will do, I was sick to my stomach watching the play of our guards! They both have horrendous fundamentals and their feet seem like cement blocks! Every one is talking tackles, but I just don't see it Stayly and Pashoes are better than average, and for now that fine, our guards are well below parr, that has to change.

I played and coached O-line I watch the big guys with a lot of interest, and don't like what I saw from our guards, on this I seem to be alone.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for irishluder.
1. Alex Smith needs to get better - His yards per attempt need to go up (rated 24th last year), he needs to work on his pocket awareness, keep his INTs low (which I believe he will - 25td 10int), Run more (51yds, 11 Games)

2. OL obviously needs to do better (and should on new coaching, alone). Pick up some help in the draft, minimally Iupati. Sims did okay in place of Staley at LT last year... if that works, and Staley needs to go back to RT, let's do it. Draft another tackle for security.

3. Vernon - Work on his hot-read assignments, continue with his catching regimen, maintain his skills as a blocker, practice with simulated snap-counts, or something that can help him minimize the false starts. Honestly, he does plenty for this team, but if he can master even more aspects of his game? He'd honestly be one of the most valuable weapons in the league.

4. Defense - Maintain, at a minimum, what success they had this past year. Brooks needs to step up his game and we should add some secondary help in the draft.

5. Special Teams - Obviously this needs to get better and will once we address it in the draft (Spiller, McCluster, Gilyard, whatever).

6. Coaching - Raye (and hopefully Mike Johnson) need to continue to work on plays that were routinely successful last year. Practice hard on those Crabtree bubble screens. Work on Gore out of the shotgun. Incorporate more into the playbook.

great post!

agree with this 100%
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
Originally posted by Rockyfromask:
One word! C.J. Spiller!

that is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. a change of pace back is not going to make a huge impact.

what one thing could take us all the way? two words: alex smith. he's the starter. if he can play at a pro bowl level, we could definitly make it to the super bowl. we are a qb away. we have the defense. we have the rb. we have the receivers- VD and crabs. we just need the qb to step it up.

we are that close. in this years draft, if we can grab a tackle, a db, and a return man, and our qb steps it up considerably, there should be no reason not to win it all.

Your so right!!!!!
A RETURN MAN, you mean return man like CJ Spiller...

• Shifty
  • Veteran
OL needs to improve by leaps and bounds.
Raye needs to be much more creative and not be so damn predictable.
Smith needs to get a lot better.
Defense needs to improve just that little bit more.
Need a threat in the return game.

a good OL and a little improvement from smith....already have the Defense, rb and TE to win it all
Originally posted by dald1:

3 Outside Pass Rusher

4 All pro Guard.

NO! I think Pashoes, and any one of the available FA tackles will do, I was sick to my stomach watching the play of our guards! They both have horrendous fundamentals and their feet seem like cement blocks! Every one is talking tackles, but I just don't see it Stayly and Pashoes are better than average, and for now that fine, our guards are well below parr, that has to change.

I played and coached O-line I watch the big guys with a lot of interest, and don't like what I saw from our guards, on this I seem to be alone.

We need Alex to play much better also, he needs to be able to win games on will alone. Its going to be interesting watching the team going at it with the same system, players, coaches etc for the second straight year but Alex needs to read the whole field and throw the receivers open.

Oline has to play much better, i think if we can get a killer left tackle with the 13th pick we do it and put Staley at right tackle, now talk about a killer o line..dont forget the coaching of Solari and Brown thats huge.

CB w/17th pick with some return ability that can play the slot tight that`ll give our swarming rushers even more time to get to the QB, i say bring back Clements he has a lot to give to the team and let Walt Harris be the Dime back if he is back at full speed, he has a lot of exp. and he was our best corner before injury.

Coaching....Payton, Super Bowl just a little remainder, this area is probably the most important for us no kidding if, we can improve with our game time descicions, game planning and play calling ..on D keep it up

Special Teams are set Lee and Nedney are very good.

If, we can have all these improvements next year i reckon we can win 12 games after sweeping the division, and having a home playoff game or two, who knows? stranger things have happened..
Encouragement.
Share 49ersWebzone