LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 194 users in the forums

How do you rate Singletary's ability to select and performance manage his staff?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How do you rate Singletary's ability to select and performance manage his staff?

• Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Right now, I would give him a C. I'm not thrilled with our O Coordinator or our Special Teams coach, and those were his two biggest staff decisions thus far. It seems like anyone that comes in and tells him they want to play smash-mouth physical football gets the job, even if they haven't done that job in a decade or more. I think he probably did a good job with his O-Line staff member selection.
I gave him a B. He did bring in Solari for your O-line and that is an upgrade. Plus if the Steve Young/Alex Smith thing works out that would be a huge positive for you guys.
To me, it seems like he didn't plan and have a staff in mind ahead of time. His few hires have been mediocre. The rest were inherited.
Originally posted by cubanb:
To me, it seems like he didn't plan and have a staff in mind ahead of time. His few hires have been mediocre. The rest were inherited.

In his defense I dont think that he planned on being the HC in the first place. He got an internal promotion on a temp basis and then it turned into a full time gig.
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by cubanb:

In his defense I dont think that he planned on being the HC in the first place. He got an internal promotion on a temp basis and then it turned into a full time gig.

He interviewed for the falcons job last year. If you even interview you should begin to have an ideal staff in mind.
D.

He is not very good.
I will refrain from commenting on this subject until I see how the moves pay off.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Right now, I would give him a C. I'm not thrilled with our O Coordinator or our Special Teams coach, and those were his two biggest staff decisions thus far. It seems like anyone that comes in and tells him they want to play smash-mouth physical football gets the job, even if they haven't done that job in a decade or more. I think he probably did a good job with his O-Line staff member selection.

our OC had us ranked 18th in scoring in 2009, which was higher than its been since 2003 when we had Garcia and Owens. and Kurt Schottenheimer hasnt been on the team 2 months yet. id wait until you actually SEE the team on the field before you judge him.

Sing is putting together a solid staff. its hard to complain when weve had ALOT worse in the past few seasons. everyone needs to keep their shirts on and be patient.

even the genius Bill Walsh had horrible 1st and 2nd seasons with the team. give Sing a couple seasons to get things moving.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 14, 2010 at 02:21:43 ]
Incomplete.

Was underwhelmed by the Raye hiring but let's see how 2 years worth of OC continuity pans out.
he's gonna prove the doubters out there

C, as of right now. He has not done a whole lot yet. Had Forester stayed, we would still have him on the staff. Sing had no intention of firing the guy. Him bringing in Jimmy Raye is a huge head-scratcher as was seen last year, and he pretty much inherited the rest of the staff...

O, and I forgot about firing Everest. If I recall correctly, the worst aspect of our ST was our punt returns...? All of our coverage units were ranked fairly high, and our kickoff returns were not bad either. Sing fired Everest because of a flub in Seattle (which would not have gotten us into the playoffs) seems like a little much...

[ Edited by SJniner7 on Feb 14, 2010 at 07:04:36 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
B, and here's why:

- Singletary finally landed an OC that utilized the main weapons on offense: Gore and Davis.

- Singletary actually helped Smith look like a up-and-coming QB in this league. He may have saved McCloughan's job for another year or two. I attribute this to Raye and Mike Johnson - QB coach and future OC.

- At first, I hated the Kurt Schottenheimer move. But the more I think about it, the more it make sense from a scouting and coaching standpoint. Al Everest seemed like a coach from the Martz school of thought: You hired me to do a job, and I am going to do things my way because I am good at what I do. While that's not a good or bad thing, it doesn't fit in line with what Singletary deems as an ideal coach on his staff. That's why Martz wasn't retained, and that's why Everest was free to pursue other opportunities.

Kurt has a lot of experience, and seems to be an Asst. Coach that Singletary can confide to during practices and game day situations. He also has previously worked with certain coaches on the staff already - specifically Jimmy Raye. From a scouting and utilization standpoint, I can see why he'd be the ideal candidate for the coaching staff.

- Mike Solari may be the reason why the 49ers go to the playoffs this coming season. Outstanding addition, and Singletary was lucky that the events that transpired happened around the same time. Ray Brown certainly will help mold Rachal to a near pro-bowl player this year. I certainly believe that.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
I will refrain from commenting on this subject until I see how the moves pay off.

This
Staff management (gag orders) and his grasp of X and O's are his weaknesses, his strength, he could motivate a BB through a BRICK WALL!, oh and he can fly and turn invisible.
the best in franchise history. bar none.
Share 49ersWebzone