LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Josh Morgan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I hope Jason Hill stays healthy during training camp
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
It's the guy's second season. Cut some friggin slack.

I love how people on here saying he's a number 3 or 4 were saying how he's a good 2 last year and that all we needed was a number one to compliment him.

When he got chances to play in 2008 he excelled and was a playmaker, we assumed that given the full time starting gig he could continue that kind of play.
In 08, Morgan had lost a significant amount of weight due to a staph infection, maybe the weight loss actually helped him with speed and agility, because he sure looked alot better in 08.
  • nivek
  • Info N/A
He'll shine once teams start doubling Crabtree. Vernon being on the field helps a lot.

I think he's a big, physical receiver with good hands, not great, but good. With that being said, I don't think he gets more balls thrown his way because of his route running. He needs to improve in that area of his game.

I think the 2 outside guys are set, especially if Morgan can improve that route running. Also his blocking abilities are too important for him not to be on the field. It's the slot that's up in the air. Hill is quick, and elusive enough to be that slot guy, but Jones has that speed and hands to go get the ball over the middle. And he has good size. Hell, Crabtree could move over to the slot in 3 wide sets and have Jones flying up the field to open up the middle for Crabs to do his thing.

It'll be a interesting training camp.
He has hype because he was picked in the "trash" rounds of the draft, yet proved to be an effective starter.

He is one of the better blocking WR's around the league, and was consistently circled by announcers during replays for sealing off the edge. Is he ever gonna be a solid #1, probably not, but he still can be a solid #2.

Fans have to remember he went from catching ducks from Hill to fastballs from Smith. The timing just didn't look comfortable. For what the team is paying him, they have the luxury of giving him all the time in the world to develop. Lets let the team finally settle on an offensive identity before we start ripping players apart who had to change their whole philosophy mid-season.
he always gets tackled by his shoestrings. and btw has a billboard of himself on the freeway near 7th and Bryant.
I wanna see Hill on the field more!
I'm tired of all the Morgan bashing when this offense as a whole sucks. You complain about Morgan's production in 09 where we switched offense philosophies and QB's mid season.

So he was better in 08? With Martz? Hmm....In 09 with Raye he sucks hmm....

Go figure
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by Hawksfan81:
I prefer cpt morgan

x2

Or Sailor Jerrys even. Thats 92 proof versus Cpt Morgans 70 proof. More bang for your buck!

I'll drink to this.
Nothing wrong with Morgan, most receivers take a year or two to get it, cases like Crabtree are the exception. Morgan was just a little slow to adjust to having a real QB throwing him passes and not having to try and field punts after running a route.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
1) He's never been fast.
2) He's always been overrated.
3) He sucks.

He had a few good preseason games against lack of top competition. I never understood all the Morgan hype on this site.

We have one legit WR. That is Crabtree. And we have a great TE. But we need a #2 WR and Morgan is not it. I'd rather see Jason Hill or draft another WR somewhere who you feel can be your #1 or #2. We don't have 2 elite guys right now.

you should check out snado today bud here's what he said re morgan:

Josh Morgan was highly productive in limited opportunities as a kick returner. Maiocco: "His 28.2-yard average on kickoffs would've ranked him third in the NFL if he'd had enough returns to qualify. (He had 13 returns.) But the 49ers do not want to have a starting receiver handling kickoffs. He'll be only an emergency option in 2010. Signed through 2011."

not bad for someone who is slow. plus he's a damn good #2. and this will be yr # 3 when those wr's start to come in the mold. he's much better than hill.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Nothing wrong with Morgan, most receivers take a year or two to get it, cases like Crabtree are the exception. Morgan was just a little slow to adjust to having a real QB throwing him passes and not having to try and field punts after running a route.

HE & JASON HILL will get better....we will get better
Originally posted by 5280High:
He has hype because he was picked in the "trash" rounds of the draft, yet proved to be an effective starter.

He is one of the better blocking WR's around the league, and was consistently circled by announcers during replays for sealing off the edge. Is he ever gonna be a solid #1, probably not, but he still can be a solid #2.
Fans have to remember he went from catching ducks from Hill to fastballs from Smith. The timing just didn't look comfortable. For what the team is paying him, they have the luxury of giving him all the time in the world to develop. Lets let the team finally settle on an offensive identity before we start ripping players apart who had to change their whole philosophy mid-season.

good point my man! he's an awesome blocking wr which is huge in the offense we run. he's made some great plays these last 2 years as well. too many homo's here on the zone. i mean homers!!!
  • 49ersBackOnTop38
  • Info N/A
Josh Morgan is a talented player and I think right now, deserves to be the #2 WR. He is physical, breaks tackles, and is a great blocker. Jason hill is the more "natural" WR though. He plays faster, catches everything with his hands, and his routes are pretty crisp. Why he is not playing more is beyond me and must be his attitude and work ethic during practice. I think the fact that morgan can beat press coverage gives him the edge over hill. Hill is more elusive and made for the slot and I think that may be the main reason why he is the 3rd WR
Originally posted by pelos21:
He should be better next season

I think he should be better also
Share 49ersWebzone