LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

is A. Franklin worth $7million for 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Honestly yes this is a very good move. He had a good yr yesterday, He was a Pro Bowl Alternate i believe, or should have been. Good NTs are hard to come back.

You have to look at the big story here. He had 1 good yr last year, the 49ers want to see if that was a fluke or a real deal. This is why they franchise him wait another year to see if he once again gets the job done, and then from there sign him to a new solid contract if he does what he did last season.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
As i posted 3 pages earlier, yes i'd like to keep aubray, but not for $7mil. Then i started reading about some real screw jobs, like in Oakland who traded their #1 in 2011 for their DE(i'm blocking on his name...sorry), but his tag price is $12mil. That was bad enough until i read about wilfork being in a hissy fit about his tag which was even more. So...reading about NTs around the league, maybe $7 mil for aubray is too much, but at least we aren't like the raiders at 12 mil, and wilfork at more. Maybe, just maybe, he IS a good deal.

Again, my one reservation, like others, 1st yr learning season, not much in yrs 2 and 3, and then big season in contract yr. Sure it could have just progressed that way, but one always wonders, "does this guy just show up in his contract yr? " I sincerely hope not, but based on what other teams are having to shell out for franchise tags, i guess we are in better shape than i thot. Leave it to the Raids to take the cake.

There's not a cap, and a one year deal keeps him motivated.

Don't see any issue here. But to no one's surprise, Niner Talk is turning mole hills into mountains again.
If we let him walk and he would of done great for another team everyone would be b***hing about this organization letting him walk.

Let's see if he can have a repeat performance next year and sign him to a good deal and hopefully he isn't all about the money and is just that good.
  • kansas49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Yes he's worth it. Hopefully they can work a long deal out during the season. Then again I hope he doesn't stop playing hard after getting paid like that.

And as for PWilly -- give him ANYTHING he wants.

Pay them both for sure, but yes uncaped year 7mil is worth what he does for the guys behind him.
I don't see anyhing wrong for paying a NT who played near top level 7 million for only one year. If he shows up again next year, then we can be kore comfortable about anchoring him in for the long haul.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't see anyhing wrong for paying a NT who played near top level 7 million for only one year. If he shows up again next year, then we can be kore comfortable about anchoring him in for the long haul.

Yeah this is my feeling as well. We don't have our backs pressed against the wall cap-wise and he's a crucial piece of the defense.

-9fA
What we should do is not franchise franklin but let him walk if he wants alot of money instead we should put isaac sopoaga at nose in his stead or even try balmer there! Use the money we would use on franklins franchise to sign an immediate impact player like peppers and this would allow us to draft for playmakers in the first round. Come on and give it to me fellas!
Originally posted by ninerforyears:
What we should do is not franchise franklin but let him walk if he wants alot of money instead we should put isaac sopoaga at nose in his stead or even try balmer there! Use the money we would use on franklins franchise to sign an immediate impact player like peppers and this would allow us to draft for playmakers in the first round. Come on and give it to me fellas!
we could probably sign both.

And i dont see the reasoning for not tagging or signing franklin, we have no one else to play at NT, and we arent getting a player like Wilfork or Hampton.

I would rather sign Franklin and draft a pass rusher. Im not sold on peppers at OLB.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
we could probably sign both.

And i dont see the reasoning for not tagging or signing franklin, we have no one else to play at NT, and we arent getting a player like Wilfork or Hampton.

I would rather sign Franklin and draft a pass rusher. Im not sold on peppers at OLB.

Man you must have forgotten who owns the 49ers those cheap jokers wont spend money on both players pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssseeeee start thinking for real! If we franchise franklin that's it for us in free agency!

wow dude are you serious?? Peppers plays DE? We need Franklin! Plus Peppers is going to want some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That 7 mil doesn't even crack the bank for peppers!
Originally posted by wailers15:
wow dude are you serious?? Peppers plays DE? We need Franklin! Plus Peppers is going to want some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. That 7 mil doesn't even crack the bank for peppers!

We've got to start getting impact players and franklin had his one good year and peppers is just reaching his prime! We will only get probably one player in free agency and it he must have an impact!
Originally posted by wailers15:

you hit it on the head, he(Peppers) will want 20M+ Guaranteed, likely 15M a yr atleast.

I said we could sign both, but not likely, we wont spend all our cash on 1 player, who might not fit in the 3-4.
Why the hell not? He's been underpaid for a few years, so even if it's a little much for a his yearly deal, it's not like he doesn't deserve it.

This is an odd situation, and he's taking advantage of it and he is due some money. We are saved having to overpay to keep him long term right now. And when there is a new deal and he has another year under his belt, we'll see what the market says he's worth.

In the meantime, we have the money to spend, he's worth it (overall if not yearly) and we aren't using the tag on anyone else.

It just makes sense, and we aren't playing around and pretending not to use it while he gets insulted or we try for other options that might not pan out.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Yes he is and we can always sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal anyways
Share 49ersWebzone