There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

is A. Franklin worth $7million for 1 year?

• Mustangstud49
  • Info N/A
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/15/franchise-tag-for-aubrayo-franklin/

Shefter says it will be done asap, They will try to sign him long-term
nice. why is this in Free Agency though ? that's a first lol

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Feb 15, 2010 at 13:44:31 ]
  • Mustangstud49
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
nice. why is this in NFL talk though ? that's a first lol[/quote

It doesnt let me post in NINER TALK for some reason. Don't know why.
I would of let him walk, personally.

hopefully they can work out a long term deal.

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Feb 15, 2010 at 13:37:33 ]
Originally posted by Mustangstud49:
nice. why is this in NFL talk though ? that's a first lol[/quote

It doesnt let me post in NINER TALK for some reason. Don't know why.

oh maybe you have to reach a posting milestone before you can.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I would of let him walk, personally.

hopefully they can work out a long term deal.

Glad your not running our team. Good 3-4 NT's are not easy to find.
As i posted 3 pages earlier, yes i'd like to keep aubray, but not for $7mil. Then i started reading about some real screw jobs, like in Oakland who traded their #1 in 2011 for their DE(i'm blocking on his name...sorry), but his tag price is $12mil. That was bad enough until i read about wilfork being in a hissy fit about his tag which was even more. So...reading about NTs around the league, maybe $7 mil for aubray is too much, but at least we aren't like the raiders at 12 mil, and wilfork at more. Maybe, just maybe, he IS a good deal.

Again, my one reservation, like others, 1st yr learning season, not much in yrs 2 and 3, and then big season in contract yr. Sure it could have just progressed that way, but one always wonders, "does this guy just show up in his contract yr? " I sincerely hope not, but based on what other teams are having to shell out for franchise tags, i guess we are in better shape than i thot. Leave it to the Raids to take the cake.
Sing and Manusky put stability back in this defense and which helped(One gap) Franklin step up his game.

Where as with Nolan. One week we're in the 4-3, the next a big nickel defense then back to the 3-4. Franklin along with many others will never give you any consistency bouncing around like that.
nice. why is this in Free Agency though ? that's a first lol

Samething i was thinking.
A couple of questions.

Do we even know what he is asking and for how long?

If we dont tag him who will replace him and at what price?

He is just as good as the other FA out there and probably would cost less than a Wilfok or Hampton. If we draft a rookie it's gotta be with a first round pick and even then its a gamble not to mention we probably woudn't save that much money.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 15, 2010 at 14:33:32 ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Yes is he. He is a clog for our defense. He allows Willis to do what he does best and Willis knows how important Franklin is and has said so to the media. If you don't retain Franklin, Willis may not be too happy.

How many years has he been with the niners? what ever it is..this year(contract year) is the only year he showed up to play

Exactly, A. Plummer all over again!

The only thing good about the franchise tag is you can let him go if he doesn't produce during that expensive @$$ one year!

He is well worth the money.

The claim below is wrong.
¨
How many years has he been with the niners? what ever it is..this year(contract year) is the only year he showed up to playclaim that this is Franklin

He showed up to play as soon as Nolan was fired and Manusky took over the defense. That was before his contract year even started.

Willis, Spikes, and Ulbrich were speaking highly of Franklin at the end of that year which was 2008. Clearly. before this year, his contract year, had even began.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but excuse me if I go with Willis and Spikes and not you.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
A couple of questions.

Do we even know what he is asking and for how long?

If we dont tag him who will replace him and at what price?

He is just as good as the other FA out there and probably would cost less than a Wilfok or Hampton. If we draft a rookie it's gotta be with a first round pick and even then its a gamble not to mention we probably woudn't save that much money.

totally on point. no way you can replace a solid 3-4 NT without opening up the bank esp. after what Haynesworth got last year.

i d rather have SF spend $ on this guy we know that can perform and address other issues with the draft.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Yes is he. He is a clog for our defense. He allows Willis to do what he does best and Willis knows how important Franklin is and has said so to the media. If you don't retain Franklin, Willis may not be too happy.

How many years has he been with the niners? what ever it is..this year(contract year) is the only year he showed up to play

Exactly, A. Plummer all over again!

The only thing good about the franchise tag is you can let him go if he doesn't produce during that expensive @$$ one year!

He is well worth the money.

The claim below is wrong.
¨
How many years has he been with the niners? what ever it is..this year(contract year) is the only year he showed up to playclaim that this is Franklin

He showed up to play as soon as Nolan was fired and Manusky took over the defense. That was before his contract year even started.

Willis, Spikes, and Ulbrich were speaking highly of Franklin at the end of that year which was 2008. Clearly. before this year, his contract year, had even began.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but excuse me if I go with Willis and Spikes and not you.

Good post brotha and I definitely agree with you
As far as whether or not Franklin played well do to it being a contract year I think you would have to ask the coaches that see him every day. If that was true it wouldn't be something that just happens on game day, it would be noticeable in the doldrums of practice. You can't convince me that a guy works hard in practice only to dog it in a game. That just wouldn't make sense. So the question is, did Franklin all of a sudden start practicing/ working hard the last year or two? Only the coaches and his teammates could say, anything else is speculation.

If a guys going to dog it, he's going to dog it in practice ala J.Russell. The game is where it shows up.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 15, 2010 at 14:49:45 ]
I think that would be a bad move to give him that kind of loot. PWillis would want upwards of $10-$12mill a year if you give AF that kind of contract franchised or not!

What other NT could we get for $5-$7million a year?

Nope, not in my book and his production numbers