LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 309 users in the forums

is A. Franklin worth $7million for 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Legbreaker:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by jrg:
Absolutely. He's the best DT in the game.

way to be positive! i never knew we had the best DT in the game?

As 3-4 NTs go, Franklin is easily top 3, and an argument can be made for him being the best.

The guy is always making plays, his technique is insane, he is a GREAT tackler, and the guy seems to be in position all the time, despite drawing a double team on almost every play.

Laugh all you want. James may have absolutely no clue when it comes to which baseball or hockey team to root for(sorry bro, I couldn't resist), but his post is spot on.

I hear ya man but he's only had 1 solid year & that was with us & it happened to be last year. I don't put allot of trust in stats especially players in their contract yr. He was in a 3-4 scheme in Baltimore. Never cracked the starting lineup. They brought in Haloti Ngata & the rest is history there. He is good don't get me wrong & i understand how the F.T. works, but I'd like to see us tag him & see if a team with a high draft pick goes after him then maybe package another pick & get McCoy from Oaklahoma.

But he is the best we got & we are thin on the o-line thanks to the crappy drafting of our GM! What's funny about the 06 draft is that on draft day there were the rumors of us trading up from 22 to 12. I always wonder how that would've panned out. Haloti Ngata was drafted at 12.

Anyways he's just never really produced. Yes he clogs the middle, and that's good, but I wouldn't put him in the top 3. Here's a list of the TOP DT/NT in a 3-4 IMO Where would he fit @ # 3???:
Haloti Ngata(plays DE to alot), Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth (now in a 3-4) Casey Hampton,
I see all those guys above ahead of Franklin. Their proven yr in yr out.
Up & Comers: B.J. Raji, Amobi Okoye.

Never really produced???

The reason we are so good against the run has every thing to do with Franklin's play. Franklin has been kicking @ss since Sing took over and allowed Manusky to change the D to a straight one gap 3-4. The guy makes our D go. If you're wondering why our front 7 look so good...why Justin Smith draws single teams...why Patrick Willis is the best f*cking linebacker in the league...it's because he's freed up by the play of Aubrayo Franklin. That's not my opinion...its a fact.

Now to your list:

Ngata is an end, not a 3-4 NT.

Wilfork is good...but not as good as you think. Did you watch the Pats' D this season? Average at best, and the effectiveness of a 3-4 defense begins and ends with the NT.

Albert Haynesworth is an overrated, injury prone vagina. He is average at best...especially for what he's being paid.

Casey Hampton is good, but backsliding.

Raji and Okoye are up and comers, but neither is as effective as Franklin, and that just is what it is.

Theres no way Haynesworth is average at best...He is overpaid...but he gets double teamed every singe play, hes the reason Orakpo and Carter had 11 sacks each....
But like you said in your last post, Franklin is probably the best 3-4 DT in the league..Kevin Williams, Haynesworth, and whoever are great..but they play in the 4-3...
I think they will work out a long term contract out soon.
What Patrick wants, Patrick gets.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think that would be a bad move to give him that kind of loot. PWillis would want upwards of $10-$12mill a year if you give AF that kind of contract franchised or not!

What other NT could we get for $5-$7million a year?

I'd rather go after Peppers with that money!
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
What Patrick wants, Patrick gets.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Too bad TDON drafted Rashaun Woods instead of Vince Wilfork

You mean the draft that we traded back 2 times that wilfork was on the board. O yeah my best friend still loves to remind me of this from time to time. Maybe it was me screaming Fing WILFORK TAKE HIM WHAT TERRY WHAT THE FING HELL WHY ARE YOU TRADING! Yeah well i think Franklin is worth it because it keeps the big guys off willis knock on wood that he hasn't been injured, ask ray ray about not having any beef in front of him...

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Feb 13, 2010 at 22:55:08 ]
Originally posted by ninerforyears:
I think that would be a bad move to give him that kind of loot. PWillis would want upwards of $10-$12mill a year if you give AF that kind of contract franchised or not!

Well peppers is looking for about 15 million and going to be tender at 20.1.. The highest paid is, D ware and he only makes 11 why would i pay that for a guy who has never play linebacker like he wants too if he becomes a 3-4 player.

Your looking at a NT versus a DE at that point. Peppers won't be able to take Franklin's spot if you lose him.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran

Where will Peppers fit in? He is a 4-3 DE, I doubt he can play the 3-4 DE. Just not that strong against the run. And, though he is quite fast - he is soon gonna be 30 and slowin' down. Also, he has to be able to play in space which no one knows if he can.

I rather put that money on one the best NT. We finally have a NT worth something, it will make no sense to let him walk away now.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:

Where will Peppers fit in? He is a 4-3 DE, I doubt he can play the 3-4 DE. Just not that strong against the run. And, though he is quite fast - he is soon gonna be 30 and slowin' down. Also, he has to be able to play in space which no one knows if he can.

I rather put that money on one the best NT. We finally have a NT worth something, it will make no sense to let him walk away now.

Peppers has actually expressed interest in playing OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Particulary on the east coast. But if you lose Franklin you need a NT. Not a LB or DE.

But we found out what it is like playing 3-4 without a decent. It sucks.

All football players are ridiculously overpaid. But Franklin at NT is fundamental to our D right now. Pay him.
No, but pay him anyway. Or switch to a 4-3.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by jrg:
Absolutely. He's the best DT in the game.

way to be positive! i never knew we had the best DT in the game?

As 3-4 NTs go, Franklin is easily top 3, and an argument can be made for him being the best.

The guy is always making plays, his technique is insane, he is a GREAT tackler, and the guy seems to be in position all the time, despite drawing a double team on almost every play.

Laugh all you want. James may have absolutely no clue when it comes to which baseball or hockey team to root for(sorry bro, I couldn't resist), but his post is spot on.

I hear ya man but he's only had 1 solid year & that was with us & it happened to be last year. I don't put allot of trust in stats especially players in their contract yr. He was in a 3-4 scheme in Baltimore. Never cracked the starting lineup. They brought in Haloti Ngata & the rest is history there. He is good don't get me wrong & i understand how the F.T. works, but I'd like to see us tag him & see if a team with a high draft pick goes after him then maybe package another pick & get McCoy from Oaklahoma.

But he is the best we got & we are thin on the o-line thanks to the crappy drafting of our GM! What's funny about the 06 draft is that on draft day there were the rumors of us trading up from 22 to 12. I always wonder how that would've panned out. Haloti Ngata was drafted at 12.

Anyways he's just never really produced. Yes he clogs the middle, and that's good, but I wouldn't put him in the top 3. Here's a list of the TOP DT/NT in a 3-4 IMO Where would he fit @ # 3???:
Haloti Ngata(plays DE to alot), Vince Wilfork, Albert Haynesworth (now in a 3-4) Casey Hampton,
I see all those guys above ahead of Franklin. Their proven yr in yr out.
Up & Comers: B.J. Raji, Amobi Okoye.

Never really produced???

The reason we are so good against the run has every thing to do with Franklin's play. Franklin has been kicking @ss since Sing took over and allowed Manusky to change the D to a straight one gap 3-4. The guy makes our D go. If you're wondering why our front 7 look so good...why Justin Smith draws single teams...why Patrick Willis is the best f*cking linebacker in the league...it's because he's freed up by the play of Aubrayo Franklin. That's not my opinion...its a fact.

Now to your list:

Ngata is an end, not a 3-4 NT.

Wilfork is good...but not as good as you think. Did you watch the Pats' D this season? Average at best, and the effectiveness of a 3-4 defense begins and ends with the NT.

Albert Haynesworth is an overrated, injury prone vagina. He is average at best...especially for what he's being paid.

Casey Hampton is good, but backsliding.

Raji and Okoye are up and comers, but neither is as effective as Franklin, and that just is what it is.

Theres no way Haynesworth is average at best...He is overpaid...but he gets double teamed every singe play, hes the reason Orakpo and Carter had 11 sacks each....
But like you said in your last post, Franklin is probably the best 3-4 DT in the league..Kevin Williams, Haynesworth, and whoever are great..but they play in the 4-3...

Dude...Albert Haynesworth was okay last season. Seriously. He's great at drawing double teams, but his tackling ability is marginal, and he's nowhere near as effective against the run as one might think. Just saying. I still think he's an overrated, injury prone vagina, though
almost official.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4916593

says we will tag but till the deadline we will work on long term deal.
yeah i was watching espn & they said give us a week or 2 to lock him up long term. which i think is silly in a sense when next year is so wide open
Share 49ersWebzone