LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 332 users in the forums

JWhitlock of FoxSports Top Ten QB's..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
There's a sucker born everyday and who ever hired this guy is the #1 sucker.
Whitlock's a s**tbag
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Fran Tarkentan. Fixed

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

I hate the guy but I gotta give him the slight edge over Steve.

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.

'89. Montana was injured. Steve started the final 3 games of the season. Joe came back from the injury and was given the job back.

I never said that Steve started the whole season and when Joe was injured. Sorry if I cut to the chase and made it seem like that. That season was ONE of the reasons Steve was named the Starter the year that Joe went to the Chiefs.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Fran Tarkentan. Fixed

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

I hate the guy but I gotta give him the slight edge over Steve.

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.

'89. Montana was injured. Steve started the final 3 games of the season. Joe came back from the injury and was given the job back.

I never said that Steve started the whole season and when Joe was injured. Sorry if I cut to the chase and made it seem like that. That season was ONE of the reasons Steve was named the Starter the year that Joe went to the Chiefs.

~Ceadder

I just went by what you actually said. You said that Steve should have started when Joe was hurt. So.. you really think that Steve should have started over Joe against Denver in SB 24? You are probably just confused since it was 20 years ago because I know you really dont think that. No one would actually think that.

The only reason Steve was named the starter in 91 was that Montana hurt his elbow in the 1991 preseason and missed basically the next 2 seasons because of injuries. Young would not have been the starter if that hadnt happened.
He was traded to the Chiefs because he had played hardly at all for 2 years and Young had been great and lead the Niners to the NFC title game.

I think time has clouded your memory on this one.

[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Feb 14, 2010 at 17:05:00 ]
  • ZRF80
If we're ranking by "clutch-ness", then Montana goes number 1.......followed by Unitas as number 2, and then Elway as 3.

If you're ranking sheer quarterbacking ability, then Montana as 1, then Elway as 2.

If you're going by the COMPLETE package, then Young goes as number 1, followed by Montana, Unitas, and Elway at 4.

Overall, move Montana into the number 1 spot.....and the rankings are pretty decent. Id put Favre below Manning, however. The guy's "stats" are directly correlated with the longevity of his career. He was a good/great QB from 1995-1998, and then his career pretty much spiraled downwards until this past season.
Share 49ersWebzone