There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

JWhitlock of FoxSports Top Ten QB's..

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by nothing03:
This guy is an idiot. Elway over Montana..

Montana - 13 seasons - 270 TD - 40,329 yds - 139 INT - 4 rings - 3 SB MVP - 2 NFL MVP - 8 pro bowl selections - 3 time all-pro

Elway - 16 seasons - 300 TD - 51,475 yds - 226 INT - 2 rings - 1 SB MVP - 1 NFL MVP - 9 pro bowl selections - 0 time all-pro

average season for career:

Montana - 21 TD, 3102 yds, 11 picks

Elway - 19 TD, 3217 yds, 14 picks

so....Montana is statistically better, has twice as many rings, 3 times as many SB MVP's, 3 more all-pro's, and just 1 less pro bowl. he was also AP comeback POY in 86.

Montana has the stats to beat Elway, he has the hardware to beat Elway, and he literally BEAT Elway in SUPER BOWL XXIV 55-10.

im thoroughly confused as to how, and why Elway is ranked over Montana? because he played more seasons and padded his stats?

All this talk about stats is bull s**t. Montana was injured a lot due to some of the beatings he took. If QBs today played back in that era (ie: Tom "p***y" Brady) they would never make it out of a season.
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Fran Tarkentan. Fixed

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

I hate the guy but I gotta give him the slight edge over Steve.

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.

No list is correct, but there are a couple people who should not be on that list, and there are a couple people who should be.

Regardless of statistics and lifetime achievement, Terry Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls. That automatically puts him top 10, and possibly top 5.

I hate to say it, but Troy Aikman should be on that list before Steve Young. Aikman LED his team to 3 Superbowls, Steve Young only 1. If you don't win championships, what you accomplished in your career doesn't really matter; in any sport.

Jim Kelly isn't far behind Marino. Bob Griese and Roger Staubach are probably 11 and 12, in no set order. Good post though.

Given your logic Trent Dilfer should be ranked ahead of Dan Marino, Jim Kelley, and Fran Tarkenton. He afterall won a championship and the others didnt.

Sorry... I dont buy that championships are the only critieria to determine rankings. Sure they help but anyone who says that Terry Bradshaw should be ranked ahead of Dan Marino never saw them play and doesnt understand what makes a great QB.

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.

No list is correct, but there are a couple people who should not be on that list, and there are a couple people who should be.

Regardless of statistics and lifetime achievement, Terry Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls. That automatically puts him top 10, and possibly top 5.

I hate to say it, but Troy Aikman should be on that list before Steve Young. Aikman LED his team to 3 Superbowls, Steve Young only 1. If you don't win championships, what you accomplished in your career doesn't really matter; in any sport.

Jim Kelly isn't far behind Marino. Bob Griese and Roger Staubach are probably 11 and 12, in no set order. Good post though.

Given your logic Trent Dilfer should be ranked ahead of Dan Marino, Jim Kelley, and Fran Tarkenton. He afterall won a championship and the others didnt.

Sorry... I dont buy that championships are the only critieria to determine rankings. Sure they help but anyone who says that Terry Bradshaw should be ranked ahead of Dan Marino never saw them play and doesnt understand what makes a great QB.

Not necessarily, but you are on the right track.

There are exceptions, of course, and there are QB's who won championships even though they were not very talented (Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Namath, Theisman), but championships speak more about accomplishment than anything, especially statistics.

Dan Marino should be top 5 in my opinion, and I never said Bradshaw should be ranked ahead of him. Marino did some amazing things for never having any talent around him.

To summarize, nothing is more important than championships, ever, in any sport. It is not the only factor that goes in to ranking players, but there is no statistic that matters more than wins, specifically winning in the playoffs and championships.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
i read the list and fell outta my chair...elway before joe....whiltlock is on something
Not going to make this a racial thing but not one black QB? No Moon Cunningham or McNabb? I think at least one could break the top10 of all time.

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.

~Ceadder

Not necessarily, but you are on the right track.

There are exceptions, of course, and there are QB's who won championships even though they were not very talented (Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Namath, Theisman), but championships speak more about accomplishment than anything, especially statistics.

Dan Marino should be top 5 in my opinion, and I never said Bradshaw should be ranked ahead of him. Marino did some amazing things for never having any talent around him.

To summarize, nothing is more important than championships, ever, in any sport. It is not the only factor that goes in to ranking players, but there is no statistic that matters more than wins, specifically winning in the playoffs and championships.

I am not saying that winning titles isnt important because of course it is. However, in team sports there are just so many factors that can result in not winning titles. In football it might be that you have a crappy defense (Marino) or that your kicker cant make a field goal (Kelly). Or.. you just might be a QB on a powerhouse team that doesnt meed you to do that much (Theisman, Dilfer,Griese).

I just think that winning championships should only be 1 factor that goes into the rankings. Its totally different in individual sports obviously like tennis or golf where thats all that matters. In a team sport there are just too many variables.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Elway had to have a RB to win it all. Montana did it in spite of a RB.

Case closed.

what? In spite of a running back? Do you mean roger craig hurt the 49ers?

No I mean Roger Craig wasn't around in 1981-82 when Montana guided the team to the first SB title.

gotcha

Plus when Elway lost to Montana in 89, 55-10... Bobby Humphrey was a 1,000 rusher and the rookie of the year... So this crap that Elway didn't have a running game in the Big Dance till Terrell Davis, is crap...

Elway had a good line, good FB, Pro Bowl Running Back, and 3 excellent receivers in Vance Johnson, Ricky Nattiel and Mark Jackson... He also had Sammy Winder and Steve Sewell in the backfield, those guys where no chumps either..

Let's also not forget Simon Flethcer with his 12 sacks that year...

In 1989 the Denver Broncos where:

Scored 362 points (22.6/g), 8th of 28 in the NFL.
Allowed 226 points (14.1/g), 1st.
Differential of 136 points (8.5/g), 2nd.
Takeaway/Giveaway Differential +11 (0.7/g), 3rd.

This talk about Montana had this and Elway didn't........... I smell something... Sniff, sniff..... Bulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllls**t!!
Originally posted by Niners99:

Montana - 13 seasons - 270 TD - 40,329 yds - 139 INT - 4 rings - 3 SB MVP - 2 NFL MVP - 8 pro bowl selections - 3 time all-pro

Elway - 16 seasons - 300 TD - 51,475 yds - 226 INT - 2 rings - 1 SB MVP - 1 NFL MVP - 9 pro bowl selections - 0 time all-pro

average season for career:

Montana - 21 TD, 3102 yds, 11 picks

Elway - 19 TD, 3217 yds, 14 picks

so....Montana is statistically better, has twice as many rings, 3 times as many SB MVP's, 3 more all-pro's, and just 1 less pro bowl. he was also AP comeback POY in 86.

Montana has the stats to beat Elway, he has the hardware to beat Elway, and he literally BEAT Elway in SUPER BOWL XXIV 55-10.

im thoroughly confused as to how, and why Elway is ranked over Montana? because he played more seasons and padded his stats?

He also out dueled him in that famous Monday Nighter when Montana was a Chief.. And he did it in Denver!!! No Rice, No Taylor, No Brent Jones, No Walsh around...
  • ndp9
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Eduardo75:
Once again they are wrong!!

Mike Sando at ESPN wrote Montana was 3-0 in the Superbowl.. No he was not, Montana was 4-0 with 3 MVP's...

Now this other idiot is saying Montana had Rice for 3 of his 4 Superbowls.. Once again!!! FALSE!! Montana had Rice for 2 Superbowls, not 3... The idiot writes, Brady was throwing to Troy Brown... Does he not remember Deion Branch, David Patten, all viable recievers?!?!?! You mean to tell me that Dwight Clark and Freddie Soloman where that much better to throw too, if at all, who Montana had his first 2 Superbowls, and did not have Craig out of the backfield till his second? Don't get me wrong, not trying to knock Dwight or Freddie, loved em, but they were not super top flight receivers either!

How would Montana do in an era where DB's could actually defend? Uh, hey dips**t, Elway played in the same era as Montana, so that would apply to him too.. Really Elway above Montana!!!! Elway lost 3 Superbowls! 2 IN A ROW!!!!! AND 3 IN A 4 YEAR SPAN!!!!!

And in head to head against Montana, Elway got blown out in the biggest margin of victory in Superbowl History 55-10!!!! Montana threw a then record 5 TD passes against the #1 Defense that year in Denver.. They had one of the best NT in Greg Kragen, one of the best LBers in Karl Mecklenburg and an All-Pro Secondary featuring Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith and Tyrone Braxton!!!

Whitlock is a freakin moron!!!!

My friend, you are spot on!
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
Not going to make this a racial thing but not one black QB? No Moon Cunningham or McNabb? I think at least one could break the top10 of all time.

There's no way in hell McNabb comes even close to being top 10 all time. Also don't think Moon or Cunningham ever won SBs either but I could be wrong. TO be on a list like top 10 all time QBs you better have won something or put up MONSTER numbers for a long time and also have been durable. Cunningham was really good though.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by wolfpack52:

There's no way in hell McNabb comes even close to being top 10 all time. Also don't think Moon or Cunningham ever won SBs either but I could be wrong. TO be on a list like top 10 all time QBs you better have won something or put up MONSTER numbers for a long time and also have been durable. Cunningham was really good though.

Did Moon or Cunningham ever even make it to the Superbowl?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah did they even look at Montana's Super Bowl stats?
Sonoco's Best QB's of the last 35 years (1975-2010)

1) Montana
2) Elway
3) Brady
4) Marino
5) Manning
6) Favre
7) Young
8) Warner
9) Moon
10) Fouts

Basically these are the best QB's I've seen in my lifetime, with a little bias, notice the absense of Cowboys and Raiders.
I count 6 quarterbacks on that list that I would put over Elway. At least he is generating some talk by putting him at #1.
I think the 2 most talented QBs to ever play the game are Elway and Manning. They were incredbile stars in college, #1 picks in the NFL draft, and just had more skills than anyone.

That doesnt mean they are the top of all time but they are right behind. My list:
1) Montana
2) Manning
3) Elway
4) Brady
5) Favre
6) Marino
7) Young
8) Aikman
9) Staubach
10) Warner

Unitas would probably be in this list but I just dont remember seeing him play.