LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

JWhitlock of FoxSports Top Ten QB's..

Shop Find 49ers gear online
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Feb 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM ]
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Elway had to have a RB to win it all. Montana did it in spite of a RB.

Case closed.

what? In spite of a running back? Do you mean roger craig hurt the 49ers?
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

Case closed.

No I mean Roger Craig wasn't around in 1981-82 when Montana guided the team to the first SB title.

Case closed.

Case closed.

No I mean Roger Craig wasn't around in 1981-82 when Montana guided the team to the first SB title.

gotcha
  • NinersPC
  • Info N/A
His article is completely incoherent. He talks about which QB you would want to build your franchise around, but he names his list as Ten Greatest QBs of All Time. He can't even make up his mind what he wants to talk about.

Case closed.

gotcha

Roger Craig was the F'n man! Those high steps were deadly!
  • NinersPC
  • Info N/A
And the Brady comment, he's "never led a loser. Never". How about 18-1!!! What's the friggin' ONE? A LOSS!!! In the SuperBowl, no less. I'm not saying 18 wins isn't impressive, but its not as impressive as Whitlock is making it out to be.
"How would he perform in the era when DBs were actually allowed to defend receivers?"

The guy is a complete and absolute moron!!! I almost jumped out of my seat when I saw this idiotic statement!!! But he DID spend a whole 4 days "thinking about and researching NFL quarterbacks."...LOL
1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Marino
4. P Manning
5. S Young
6. Staubach
7. T Brady
8. Tarkenton
9. Farve
10. Moon

Elway might crack my top 20. maybe.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Fran Tarkentan. Fixed

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

I hate the guy but I gotta give him the slight edge over Steve.

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
Elway is the 2nd most overrated QB of all time right behind Joe Namath. He had more mediocre seasons than great seasons. Through the first 10 years of his career he had 1 season with a higher QB rating than Alex Smith's 81.5 that he had this year.. and that is really really really really really really really really really really really really really realllllllllly sad.

The comments in Niner Talk never cease to amaze me. Elway may not be the #1 QB of all time but he is certainly and absolutely one of the top 5 of all time. He almost single handedly took 3 mediocre Denver teams to the SB and then won 2 when the teams he played on were better. Even then, he lead his team to an upset over a much better GB team. Even those teams paled in comparison to the Niner teams of the 80s and 90s. He also has the most 4th quarter comebacks in the history of the league.

Its simply amazes me how Niner fans can rip this guy. Who the hell cares about QB ratings. Elway was a winner who had an incredible arm and probably the most skills any QB has ever had who played the game. Saying he is one of the most overrated QBs or not in the top 20 of all time is completely ridiculous.
Peyton Manning has a .500 record (9-9) in playoff games, so I don't think he should be as high up as he is on a lot of these list. You would never know, but McNabb has a better playoff record than Manning but because of all the regular season hype we get fed from the media about his greatness, you'd never know that. McNabb isnt a better QB than Manning ,but it seems like when the big games come, you'd be surprised to know that both QB's are just as unsuccessful record wise. Playoff performance should factor into these lists and I find its almost always overlooked or forgotten.

Being a fan of a team like the 49ers, who didn't play for regular season trophies and accolades and where playoff games always mattered and winning Super Bowls was the only goal, I find a 9-9 record in the playoffs, where you match up against the best competition in the NFL, actually quite embarrassing for a guy who constantly has his azz kissed like Manning. I'd rather have Brady or Big Ben and now after the Super Bowl, Brees too, over Manning in a big game scenario.

Dan Marino is another regular season dynamo. People constantly use the rap that "he didn't have the weapons Montana had". Bullsh!t. Since when were the Marks Bros., one of the top WR duo's from the 80's, with a combined 8 Pro Bowls and both with multiple 1000 yards receiving seasons not adequate weaponry?

Feast your eyes on this list. Quite revealing. May make you rethink who the true
"Big Game QB's" are in the NFL.

Best QB records in the Playoffs
[ Edited by 602_JamestownAve on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:02 AM ]
Originally posted by nothing03:
This guy is an idiot. Elway over Montana..

Montana - 13 seasons - 270 TD - 40,329 yds - 139 INT - 4 rings - 3 SB MVP - 2 NFL MVP - 8 pro bowl selections - 3 time all-pro

Elway - 16 seasons - 300 TD - 51,475 yds - 226 INT - 2 rings - 1 SB MVP - 1 NFL MVP - 9 pro bowl selections - 0 time all-pro

average season for career:

Montana - 21 TD, 3102 yds, 11 picks

Elway - 19 TD, 3217 yds, 14 picks

so....Montana is statistically better, has twice as many rings, 3 times as many SB MVP's, 3 more all-pro's, and just 1 less pro bowl. he was also AP comeback POY in 86.

Montana has the stats to beat Elway, he has the hardware to beat Elway, and he literally BEAT Elway in SUPER BOWL XXIV 55-10.

im thoroughly confused as to how, and why Elway is ranked over Montana? because he played more seasons and padded his stats?

[ Edited by Niners99 on Feb 12, 2010 at 04:18:55 ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by servegmo:
yes he is a little off on his rankings:

1. Montana
2. Brady
3. Elway
4. Unitas
5. Manning
6. Favre
7. Young
8. Marino
9. Otto G.
10. Fran Tarkentan. Fixed

really you put favre over young?

young was way more accurate, and didnt choke anywhere near as hard as favre always does.

No offense to the greatness of Steve, but careerwise Favre has had a better one. He's at least played in two Super Bowls. Not that that is Steve's fault. He should have played in two as well as he got us there when Joe was injured and then was told "Sorry but we're going with Joe".

I hate the guy but I gotta give him the slight edge over Steve.

~Ceadder

??????????????? What are you talking about? When did Steve Young lead the Niners to the SB and then be told "sorry but we're going with Joe". That simply never happened. Young only deserved to play in 1 SB and then was in 1994. Montana started 16,15,13,and 13 games in his 4 SB years.

No list is correct, but there are a couple people who should not be on that list, and there are a couple people who should be.

Regardless of statistics and lifetime achievement, Terry Bradshaw won 4 Superbowls. That automatically puts him top 10, and possibly top 5.

I hate to say it, but Troy Aikman should be on that list before Steve Young. Aikman LED his team to 3 Superbowls, Steve Young only 1. If you don't win championships, what you accomplished in your career doesn't really matter; in any sport.

Jim Kelly isn't far behind Marino. Bob Griese and Roger Staubach are probably 11 and 12, in no set order. Good post though.
Share 49ersWebzone